PDA

View Full Version : Fun at the lake!

badlandsrox
06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
So I was going through wakeboarding and waterski on the net, when I came across these...

http://www.sportsstuff.com/dyn_prod.php?p=SPT53-1815WR&k=68044
http://www.sportsstuff.com/dyn_prod.php?p=SPT53-1805&k=68044
http://www.sportsstuff.com/dyn_prod.php?p=SPT54-1916&k=68029

Now I cant wait for summer to actually start, and possiblly get one!

Anyone else come across anything new to do with boating etc for this year?

colonel_moo
06-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Wow, that first one looks ridiculously dangerous

HelpDeskHustler
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
IMO all 3 look like a good way to drown. I can't imagine the first 2 being safe at all. The faced side on 2 has more surface area and is more likely to aim down... making it perfect for drowning.

irishwarrior
06-20-2008, 01:50 PM
The sumo one looks fun, safe no, probably not. But, fun none the less.

badlandsrox
06-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Honestly though guys, is any tube or whatever you want to call them safe? they all have their flaws, be it the ride on ones, you can get launched pretty bad, or run over, or flip. these ones can be bad in that like you could drown, or get thrown around pretty bad... teh one plus side to that sumo one though, is that your in complete control and can let go of hte rope if things get a little outta yoru comfort level.

STRIKEFIRST
06-20-2008, 03:00 PM
The last one definetly looks like a drowning waiting to happen.

Hoppy11
06-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Claus.. they float. Please explain how you could drown.

They, however are not new at all. Have been out for like at least 4 years now. My friend has one. Isn't as much fun as you would think.. it is basically a puke machine.

The newest thing we are doing is wake surfing. Haven't passed a boat or been passed by one without everyone on board looking to actually see what is going on.

badlandsrox
06-20-2008, 05:39 PM

They, however are not new at all. Have been out for like at least 4 years now. My friend has one. Isn't as much fun as you would think.. it is basically a puke machine.

The newest thing we are doing is wake surfing. Haven't passed a boat or been passed by one without everyone on board looking to actually see what is going on.

Yeah, that wakesurfing has been around on my lake for awhile, however our boat isnt really a wakeboard boat, so we cant really do it :( Although, another thing i saw was wake kiting, basically a combination between wakeboarding and kiteboarding, you basically use basic kitesurfing equiptment, and are hooked to the boat, and it gives you better air time on jumps, and allows you to kitesurf without the wind. Speaking of kitesurfing though, that also looks like alot of fun, however the stuff is so expensive right now :(

HelpDeskHustler
06-22-2008, 03:56 PM

I'm really sorry to be this blunt but that's stupid logic.

Following that logic, you could duct tape yourself to a beachball (with enough air to keep you floating) and you wouldn't drown. Now, if you actually try that you'll realize that the denser portion of your now beachball/body medley will be at the bottom, in this case, you. If you look at 2... You can see that it's odd shape would allow the possibility for it to have the tip slightly submerged, especially if a heavy person was inside. If it tips forward, the part that goes into the water isn't your feet, it's your head. That's how you could drown.

The manufacturer can't guarantee that the item will be used properly. IE inflated enough, used by an properly sized adult, etc. Judging by it's shape and a generally good understanding of buoyancy, I would deem 2 and 1 as simply a BAD IDEA because they promote drowning more than is neccessary. Call me overprotective, a *****, whatever... its just not a safe-looking tube because it looks like a big old suffocation box that's made to be put in the water. I'd rather risk skydiving and dying on impact than drowning or suffocating. It's just the type of death would really suck.

LostCause
06-22-2008, 04:25 PM
what happens when te ball delfates...youd be stuck.....and thatwould suck....

thoguh not going to lie...ide do anyof those lol

Hoppy11
06-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Claus.. Im just saying that Ive used them before and they have incredible flotation. My friend is like 240 and when he is in it, it hardly dips into the water. Im just speaking from experience and spending almost everyday on the water during the summer that they are next to insinkable.....

OK ok.. so bring up the Titanic....

LostCause
06-22-2008, 06:14 PM
nothing is impossible! ie: Titanic :D just for you!