PDA

View Full Version : Howdy I'm new here -advice for a newbie?

Natman
06-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi all,

After playing paintball once or twice a year for about 10 years I finally bought a kit so I can get more serious (I only do recball that is, woodsball). I was tired of the crappy rental equipment so I got a full MR-1 kit for cheap and have started to upgrade. I'm trying to figure out all the terms and understand exactly how my gun works, but I digress.

Care to comment on the following? I just need pointers form people in the know:

Barrels, which one's better?
-Smart Parts 16" Tactical
-Lapco 14" Bigshot

Other:
-Irish Brigade Spyder spring kit
-Alamo City Delrin Bolt (2-ring)

I am using a remote with a 20 oz CO2 tank. I have the rail/handle for the MR-1 and I will install a cheap red dot sight I got from Hong Kong ($24 shipped). I also picked up an Oregon Paintball clamping feedneck but I'm sure everyone will say it's a must.

So what can I do to make the gun shoot straight & true? Anything I should know about the workings of the MR-1? I won't get to try everything because I live inthe city and it's hard to get away & test things without getting arrested. Nosy neighbours... Can't they see the hopper on my otherwise real-looking assault rifle? And the paint splats on their door/wall/car/dog? :mad:

I definitely have no need for an e-trigger and a fancy hopper is at the bottom of my list of priorities. I like to conserve paintballs, they can cost a small fortune when some fields are charging $13 for 100. I also plan to stick to CO2.

Thaks for the pointers!!

Kingman-Rep
06-20-2008, 02:08 PM
I would like to start of by welcoming you to the boards, i hope you have a good time here.

irishwarrior
06-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Welcome, I don't know which barrel is better, but, I would recommend the 32 degrees spring kit. Also, here is a thread I made for this sorta thing. (http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16537)

BioHazard
06-20-2008, 08:19 PM
if i were you i would get a barrel between 12'' and 14'' cuz if you go 16'' it waists air and slows the paint and i would getthis barrel
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=7-SCzivCyE6DtmOenVRCZiEL58lHB8Z5Gdk=?ProductID=16nAq ArbzPgAAAEB7Mdekd7n

or

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=7-SCzivCyE6DtmOenVRCZiEL58lHB8Z5Gdk=?ProductID=WHasF AY7CrMAAAD3RDSlA_2t

those are the best for prisicion

deano 177
06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
if i were you i would get this barrel
http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=7-SCzivCyE6DtmOenVRCZiEL58lHB8Z5Gdk=?ProductID=16nAq ArbzPgAAAEB7Mdekd7n

+1

Welt
06-22-2008, 06:55 AM
I've got a 16" JJ Performance 2 piece barrel. Have only used Cryptic paint though it so far. Accuracy is good. Most noticeable is lack of is noise.
The barrel silences the MR1's muzzle, all you'll hear is the action of the mechanicals.

I also have the Lapco 14" Big Shot barrel. Again tested with Cryptic paint.
Better accuracy then the JJ Performance and fits somewhere in between the Stock 12" barrel and the 16" JJ as far a suppressing sound.

Outdoor temps were in the 65-70 degree range. Which IMO makes a huge difference when matching paint to barrel.

Same Cryptic paint and temps with the "clean" stock 12" barrel proved to have good accuracy.

Besides the Cryptic I've used Monster Balls and Zap Extreme Sportz Rec Series with the stock barrel. As of now I'll never buy the later two again.
I should note in fairness the temps were in the low 50s but they hooked and dove so much I'm not taking the chance again.

I'm using a remote w/c02 and have a fill station. I live in a remote area so getting air isn't a good option. The lack of expansion chamber nor one that looks good as an add for the MR1 plus the properties of co2 are the reason for the remote, simply just trying to improve consistency.

I have the sight rail and red dot as well but don't use them much. If you like having the stock mounted that combination doesn't work well, not while wearing a mask. Besides I play woodsball on a home coarse. The idea of one shot one hit is nice but I'm finding out that to keep some players honest they need the punishment from a burst of multiple hits to call themselves out, or more like "Say Uncle".

My style of play and gravity feed hopper work fine together.

I know theres a well put together thread about paint and barrels but since this is a MR1 section I think it deserves mention what paint works best with the stock 12" barrel. Point blank, no nonsense, so far the Cryptic paint gets my vote.

Natman
06-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Well I went ahead and picked up all the things I mentioned. I figure I can test out both barrels and sell the one I like less. The Smart Parts is like a 14" barrel anyway because 2" is the open muzzle break for looks.
My red dot scope doesn't fit the rail properly so I will have to rig something up.
I'm optimistic that I will have a great shooting marker after shooting about 40 balls with crappy practice paint at maybe 20 yards. Wihtout any adjustments, the gun shoots pretty hard and the smart parts barrel seems fairly accurate.

Thanks for your help everyone and I will be hanging around bugging you with my questions as I go.