PDA

View Full Version : recruiters be callin' any tactics?

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 05:29 AM
So, anybody here who has talked to a recruiter knows how hard it is to shut them up. They push and push and push some more. I had one call at 8:20 this morning and he wanted me to come down and sign or get approved, etc. I managed to push him back off until later tonight. He didn't seem to accept anything I said as I'm not interested. Even me telling him I'd contact him if I was interested. All I'm wondering is, does anybody have tactics to use on the phone to get them to shut up early on without being an ass, or did I just sign myself up for a 30 minute phone call or to be an ass at a later time? :rolleyes:

The Pumper
06-17-2008, 05:35 AM
hang up?
i do :)

TheDarkShadow
06-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Ok what my brother does is, he tells them he has this amazing job, makes a ton of money, and is incredibly happy doing his job and has no intrest in the army.

irishwarrior
06-17-2008, 05:55 AM
You could always interrupt him, change the topic on to something to make him incredibly uncomfortable and not only will you shut him up but, he'll never call again :D.

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 06:00 AM
they'll call back if i hang up.

LostCause
06-17-2008, 06:25 AM
tell him your gay.....just kidding bt might work (not allowed to be openly gay in the military)I Know the recruiters to some extent here,so don't get bothered (and im going in anyway lol)

Though I can't blame them for it, they have to make a qouta, or they are forcibly retired......so this is there livelhood lol.

TheDarkShadow
06-17-2008, 06:29 AM
^ that could work

vikingshadow
06-17-2008, 06:43 AM
This happened even when I graduated high school. I just told them that I was going to sign up with [insert other armed force here]. Usually, I'd tell them since my dad was in the Coast Guard, I was going into that branch. That usually got them to say, "Good! Glad to hear your serving your country," and they would hang up. (When the Coast Guard called, I told them I was joining the Air Force...)

After that, they never called again.

The Pumper
06-17-2008, 06:47 AM
So Vike, it'd be armed force phone tag, eh? lol

vikingshadow
06-17-2008, 06:57 AM
LOL - pretty much!

STRIKEFIRST
06-17-2008, 08:25 AM
This happened even when I graduated high school. I just told them that I was going to sign up with [insert other armed force here]. Usually, I'd tell them since my dad was in the Coast Guard, I was going into that branch. That usually got them to say, "Good! Glad to hear your serving your country," and they would hang up. (When the Coast Guard called, I told them I was joining the Air Force...)

After that, they never called again.

I had a friend who did that...worked exactly how vike said.

Had another friend tell them he was gay...that also worked.

shunut
06-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I always said, "I'd love to join, but I know you guys don't want me." Usually the guy would say of course we do. So I would give them a run down of Cystic Fibrosis and Diabetes and let them know that my drugs cost approximately $4000 a month and I have to do 4 breathing treatments a day minimum, the shortest one taking 20 minutes. Usually then they would tell me I'm right and tell me to take care of myself and have a nice day.

bamf-hacker
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I tell them I would love to join, but they are to late. I already have my plane ticket and I am moving to Israel to join the liberation :)

LOL, or you could be honest and tell them you are not interested in joining and to please remove you from their list.

VS3 Sniper
06-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Or you could combine Lostcause's, vikingshadow's, and shunut's suggestions. That way u can be sure they will never call again. :lol:

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 11:03 AM
LOL, or you could be honest and tell them you are not interested in joining and to please remove you from their list.I figured saying I'd call him if I was interested was straight forward enough and basically said I wasn't interested without being rude. You have to realize though, where I live gets a decent amount of recruits, but it's just suburban Ohio, I'm sure its not a ton and this guy has to work hard to get some people so you know this guy is a serious pusher.

DFSniper
06-17-2008, 11:57 AM
i sat down with the navy recruiter for about half an hour (mom made me) and i told him, look, im in college right now, and i want to finish college before i do anything else. i told him if i could go to basic, get military pay, then go back to school (have them pay for it) before going to my first duty station, i would consider it. they can't do this, because you can only go to school part-time while working.

big_daddy_d
06-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Tell them that you are not interested point blank. if he calls after that you just hang up... I wouldn't go as far as saying you're gay or anything like that you may change your mind further down the road and it could come back to bite you...

STRIKEFIRST
06-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Tell them that you are not interested point blank. if he calls after that you just hang up... I wouldn't go as far as saying you're gay or anything like that you may change your mind further down the road and it could come back to bite you...

Wouldn't that be lovely!

According to our records you're homosexual, are interested in every other branch of service except for ours, you're a diabetic with Cystic Fibrosis and we have that you moved to Israel...by the way how's the liberation going?

DFSniper
06-17-2008, 02:38 PM
haha! i actually have a good friend that got discharged from the air force a few weeks ago (he was in basic) due to scoliosis. he's 6' and does MMA, and has never really had any problems, so that came as a surprise! i figured, if anything, they'd kick him out for mental instability!

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 02:51 PM
I have flat feet but I hear that doesn't get you out anymore

battlechaser
06-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Move to Canada. ;)

I'm 24 and have yet to get any calls from the military whatsoever.

cyberthrasher_706
06-17-2008, 03:03 PM
i usually get away for a few years by telling them "you don't want me", which usually gets me the "sure we do, we want any man we can get." Than I just tell them I'm a convicted felon and they say "thank you for your time." I'm not really a felon, but I have a friend who wanted to enlist and they kept turning him down since he's a felon, so I gave it a shot and they only call every few years now.

TheDarkShadow
06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
so the answer is to lie. LOL!

DFSniper
06-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Move to Canada. ;)

I'm 24 and have yet to get any calls from the military whatsoever.

what military? :confused:

TheDarkShadow
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM

OOOOHHHH! BURN! lol

Team Ramrod
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
now now, let not start that :rolli:

Yeah, just lie to them, it'll work.

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 06:40 PM
He never called back. Hopefully he won't show up here, I've heard of some pretty crazy recruiters around here.

battlechaser
06-17-2008, 06:45 PM

Hey man, we generally head to the same places your military does, using the 50/50 rule.

50% of the equipment is out-dated, and 50% doesn't work. :p

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 06:53 PM
From what I've heard, the small force that Canada DOES have is very well trained, and highly professional.

Team Ramrod
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you.

Everyone just look up Vimmy Ridge for an example ;)

The Pumper
06-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Whats a military?

battlechaser
06-17-2008, 07:57 PM
From what I've heard, the small force that Canada DOES have is very well trained, and highly professional.

You forgot half nuts. ;)

I respect ANYONE that will pout themselves in harm's way for what they feel is right though.

cyberthrasher_706
06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
hey, someone's gotta do it. And if anything happens here at home while they're gone, we'll be here to take care of it. Red Dawn style.

battlechaser
06-17-2008, 08:09 PM
hey, someone's gotta do it. And if anything happens here at home while they're gone, we'll be here to take care of it. Red Dawn style.

I think that's why recruiters like us, we can already shoot. ;)

DFSniper
06-17-2008, 08:25 PM
awesome movie. one of the movies that shaped my youth.

badlandsrox
06-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey man, we generally head to the same places your military does, using the 50/50 rule.

50% of the equipment is out-dated, and 50% doesn't work. :p

That 50/50 rule works well though, when we can get them with crappy equiptment, every once in awhile when one or two new things come, we can run em like nothin else! haha. that and we arent in debt 9.2 trillion because of it :P

Although, word is we got some pretty hardcore updating going on soon, with a seaking replacement, replacement for the CF-18's (F-35 lightning... and its a pretty nice machine), the mercedes to replace the old iltises, and a bunch of stuff... thats whats on the books anyways... lol

colonel_moo
06-17-2008, 09:10 PM
I've never had a recruiter call me. Actually the only time i've ever talked to one was outside the mall, in which case a polite 'no thank you' was enough.

Drefish99
06-17-2008, 10:00 PM
So, anybody here who has talked to a recruiter knows how hard it is to shut them up. They push and push and push some more. I had one call at 8:20 this morning and he wanted me to come down and sign or get approved, etc. I managed to push him back off until later tonight. He didn't seem to accept anything I said as I'm not interested. Even me telling him I'd contact him if I was interested. All I'm wondering is, does anybody have tactics to use on the phone to get them to shut up early on without being an ass, or did I just sign myself up for a 30 minute phone call or to be an ass at a later time? :rolleyes:

Tell them you are gay. They have a don't ask don't tell policy. You spoil everything if you just tell them straight out.

Muddytaco
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Tell them you have lots of tattoo's.

Guy wouldn't leave me alone for the longest time b/c two of my friends signed up and I think they mentioned my name, even though I had no thought of joining them.

Guy was going through his usual talk and ask if I had any tattoo's, told him I had full sleeves on both arms, and some on my neck. He told me the policy is that visible tattoos must be small enough to cover with the palm of your hand.

He never called back after that.

bigred76
06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
If they keep coming after me:

"Dude, I told you no, and although I know it's your job... please **** off."

DFSniper
06-18-2008, 03:07 AM
Guy was going through his usual talk and ask if I had any tattoo's, told him I had full sleeves on both arms, and some on my neck. He told me the policy is that visible tattoos must be small enough to cover with the palm of your hand.

yeah, i guess they changed that a few years ago, because my best friend has a tattoo on the back of his hand, and they didnt have a problem with it. i always thought it was still a rule that you couldn't have ANY tattoos on your hands.

meric
06-18-2008, 10:21 AM

You're obviously not being assertive enough. Flatly tell him you're not interest now or ever. Stop bull****ting him and he'll stop bull****ting you.

DFSniper
06-18-2008, 01:57 PM
good point.

HelpDeskHustler
06-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Because I'm not an ass. I don't want to be an ass just because he can't take a hint, but since he never called back despite him saying he would, I guess he could take a hint.

leed
06-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Just ask the recruiter what he's doing Saturday night.

LostCause
06-20-2008, 07:09 AM
hahha one called me and my dad answered cause i was outside, asking if i would join up, told him im going AROTC (which i am :D and praying to get :)) though when he asked himif he had served he said yes and told him his MOS, guy had no cclue what MOS that was lol....guess lots changed since the first gulf war :D