PDA

View Full Version : Football Advice?

irishwarrior
06-12-2008, 10:08 AM
I am 14, weigh 175 pounds, 5'8", have a 5.1 second 40, a 5.4 second 20 yard shuttle, can squat 225 and can only bench 115. I want to play OLB. I know I need to work on the benching, but anyone have any advice for me? I think 175 is a little small and I am going to try and build some lean-muscle mass at conditioning and on my own during the summer. Any advice for work-outs I should do? Any drills/activities that can help me change direction quicker?

marvin-martian
06-12-2008, 10:41 AM
i feel scrawny. im turning 19 in 2 months, im like 5'10 and 125.

irishwarrior
06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Well, I actually lost about 20 pounds over the last 2 months or so.

The Pumper
06-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Woo
17-18 in august
im 245
i can only bench 130
but that was the first time benching in almost 2 yrs
but curling is a different story

bigred76
06-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Hmm, when I played line for football, I still weighed 200lbs, and I was the heaviest on the JV team. 175 is a good weight for JV, but if you want to play varsity, you're going to need to gain at least 25lbs in muscle, not water or fat.

For your age, you're pretty good as far as strength and size, so just keep working out and you'll be fine. You lose what you don't use!

Hossy
06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Squatting builds the most muscle mass because it releases the most testosterone in your body while you do it, because it uses alot of muscles to do a squat. Squat regularly. Bench every other day or so. Id suggest to do dumbbell weights rather than on a bar for benching, unless your doing a max test or something of the sort. If you have a deadlift stuff, do that too on days youd squat.

irishwarrior
06-12-2008, 02:54 PM
OK, thanks guys. The thing is I'm going for JV, our school has smaller players than a lot of other schools and I'm a full year younger than the majority of my teammates. Though so far I have either equaled or surpassed the other LB's when we were maxing and doing the 40 and 20. The only thing I was worried about was being a little too light to shed blocks effectively.

The Pumper
06-12-2008, 02:56 PM
JV isn't as demanding as Varsity is. So just be self disciplined until varsity so once you go there you'll be ready for whatever they throw at you.

spray and pray
06-12-2008, 03:02 PM
I played Full back for two years and heres my advice even though it's a completely different position.

Build up your leg muscles.
Work on your balance so you don't fall when you get hit
Situps
Pushups
Pull ups

LostCause
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
when i was 14, 5'8 125

Starting Strong safety. Technique is more important in my oppion, i could take down guys 2.5 times bigger then me. Great Tackling form will be a great thing to have. Also wrok our your quads, calfs (hard), hamstrings, and core hard. then do a moderate workout upperbody, want lean muscel then you want to do more high rep-low weight, people will be like your not gaining strength. thats bull, you do, and you build endurance (important for HS ball, since most teams run) Do lots of ladder work (foot speed), it will help you out a ton. Also Im wasnt the strongest my jv year only put up 185-195 bench, 300 squat, 700 leg press, 160 powerclean, 375 deadlift) but i could hit hard, and run every play, chase it down! never ever walk on the football field. Though please dont take cretain, it messes you up, and you lose your max's soon as you stop, gain it naturally

Shedding blocks was fun for me (was a d-end), hit them in the lower shoulderparts (covering the chest) push up intill its in there throat, or grab them but the collar and throw them down, idc what people say, you have to be the meaniest sonofagun as a LB. also since your a outside, have fun with bliztes....my favorite :D

Good luck bro, hit the gym hard, but not to hard, and always do abs every workout, and run every workout (one day distance, one day speed)

STRIKEFIRST
06-12-2008, 04:40 PM
LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY...

At 14 DON'T OVER LIFT WEIGHTS!!!

You will destroy your tendons and ligaments...take it easy on the weights...play wherever they will put you...it will give you a better mental picture of where you should be on the field and whats going to happen when you get to OLB.

I started playing full contact football in 3rd grade...please trust me about the weights...consult a trainer for a practical work out.

irishwarrior
06-12-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm not going to hit the weights too hard. I formulated my work-out schedule for the summer.
Monday: 2 mile jog, core workouts and agilities (SP?)
Tuesday: Mandatory Conditioning (not sure what exactly they're going to put us through)
Wednesday: Interval walk/sprint up and down hills, core and agilities Thursday: Conditioning
Friday: Plyometrics, agilities
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest

Since I have all day, I'll space out the work-outs. Also, I'm going to regulate my diet for high-carb and high-protein.

spray and pray
06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Just a little reccomendation, if you want to start benching at your age limit yourself to 36 reps a day at a low weight (70lbs). Do alot of situps though. In the morning do 40-50 and before you go to bed do 40-50.

OSOK
06-12-2008, 09:28 PM
I play line, and I am about 235pounds, I definitely can lose some weight or make some more muscle but I play JV and it isn't nearly as strict as varsity is conditioning wise. Also for a diet, stay away from white breads, pasta and stuff like that, but eat a lot of meat if you want to build some muscle.