PDA

View Full Version : help :(

xsgmike66x
06-07-2008, 10:12 AM
So for the past week ive had poison ivy.... only to get gradually worse... it started as just one line of it on my one leg...now it spread into 2 big patches on that leg with one of them swollen and now im getting the boils all over my other leg and on this leg....any ideas on how to stop this and make it better??

thanks,
mike

spray and pray
06-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Go into the doctors. This happened when I was in Italy last summer. The Heat made it even worse, If possible you should turn up the AC in your house and get some Itch relieve stuff. That would only be a temporary fix until you go into the doctors though. The doctors will give you some cream (can't remember what it's called) and some steroids, take them whenever the doctor tells you to.

irishwarrior
06-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I had that a couple years ago. All over my legs, weeping clear fluid, man it was nasty. Thought they were just bug bites, my mistake. Anyway, it will go away on it's own, I didn't see a doctor, though that probably would have at least limited the itching/swelling. JUST DON'T SCRATCH IT!

cyberthrasher_706
06-07-2008, 02:35 PM
it's been a while, but I remember them giving me the pink stuff. just like everyone else said, don't scratch it. That just makes it spread and digs it into your skin even more.

badlandsrox
06-07-2008, 03:13 PM
If your talking about the same thing, the pink stuff is calamine lotion or something along those lines

irishwarrior
06-07-2008, 05:01 PM
Oh, I heard Burt's Bees has something for it that works really well for the itching.

cyberthrasher_706
06-07-2008, 07:22 PM
If your talking about the same thing, the pink stuff is calamine lotion or something along those lines

yeah, that's what it was, went to wal-mart and found the name of it, $1.50 a bottle. I found something mentioned online called "Caladryl". Supposedly it's calamine lotion with benedryl in it. Found that on a poison oak discussion.

bamf-hacker
06-07-2008, 08:48 PM
My wife is super alergic to the Ivy...

Treating Poison Ivy Exposures
If you are exposed, according to the FDA, you should quickly (within 10 minutes):

* first, cleanse exposed areas with rubbing alcohol.
* next, wash the exposed areas with water only (no soap yet, since soap can move the urushiol, which is the oil from the poison ivy that triggers the rash, around your body and actually make the reaction worse).
* now, take a shower with soap and warm water.
* lastly, put gloves on and wipe everything you had with you, including shoes, tools, and your clothes, with rubbing alcohol and water.

Unfortunately, if you wait more than 10 minutes, the urushiol will likely stay on your skin and trigger the poison ivy rash. You may not be able to stop it on your skin, but you might still scrub your nails and wipe off your shoes, etc., so that you don't spread the urushiol to new areas.

Commercial products, like Zanfel, Ivy Cleanse Towelettes, and Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub, are also available over-the-counter, if you don't want to use rubbing alcohol.

Remember that poison ivy isn't contagious though, so touching the rash won't actually spread it.

Poison Ivy Treatments
Typical treatments for poison ivy are going to be directed at helping to control your itching, and can include non-steroidal topical medications, topical steroids, oral antihistamines (Benadryl), and/or oral steroids (prednisone) or a steroid shot.

Wet dressings, compresses, or soaks with Domeboro solution mixed with water (modified Burow's Solution) or Aveeno oatmeal baths can be especially soothing for itchy rashes.

Examples include:

* Atarax (hydroxyzine, a prescription oral antihistamine)
* Aveeno Anti-Itch Cream with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal
* Aveeno 1% Hydrocortizone Anti-Itch Cream (OTC topical steroid)
* Band-Aid Anti-Itch Gel
* Caladryl Clear Topical Analgesic Skin Lotion
* Calamine Lotion
* Cortizone 10 (OTC topical steroid)
* Cutivate cream 0.05% (prescription topical steroid)
* Domeboro Astringent Solution Powder Packets
* Gold Bond Maximum Strength Medicated Anti-Itch Cream
* Itch-X Anti-Itch Gel with Soothing Aloe Vera
* Locoid cream 0.1% (prescription topical steroid)
* Triamcinolone acetonide 0.1% (prescription topical steroid)

Newer medications that are supposed to target poison ivy symptoms include:

* Burts's Bees Poison Ivy Soap
* Cortaid Poison Ivy Care Treatment Kit
* Ivarest Medicated Cream
* IvyStat
* Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub
* Zanfel Wash For Poison Ivy, Oak & Sumac

VS3 Sniper
06-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Just chop off ur legs Mike :D but Dan seemed to cover it pretty well.

xsgmike66x
06-07-2008, 10:56 PM
i just tried this zanfel stuff but idk if they itch more or are in pain idk :( its getting bad if i dont feel better in the morning ill do that stuff again and then if it doesnt work i guess its off to the doctors, thanks for all the help guys.
-mike

bamf-hacker
06-08-2008, 03:52 AM
the Doc will give you a type of Steroid to help you stop itching and the side effects could stink, just an FYI.

xsgmike66x
06-08-2008, 07:41 PM
the Doc will give you a type of Steroid to help you stop itching and the side effects could stink, just an FYI.

Thanks for all the help Dan, and everyone else.

I just spoke to my gma, she used to be a nurse and was on vacation with no service so i was just able to speak to her, and she said calamine lotion all the time and calamine lotion and benadrill b4 i go to sleep if it still doesnt clear up then see the doctor...

I'll keep you guys updated and thanks for the help,
Mike