PDA

View Full Version : superstitions?

DFSniper
06-06-2008, 02:00 PM
does anyone else have any paintball superstitions? i make it a habit NOT to touch any of my gear the day before i go play, because when i do, something usually goes wrong with one of my guns. but after thinking about it, there haven't really been any days where something DIDN'T go wrong.

druid
06-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I do...

The day before the game (or 3 days before if a big event), I make a handwritten list of what needs to go and then line it all up on my living room floor and bag it.
The evening before, regardless of event, I lay out my Kilt and whatever else I'm wearing that next day.
I start my vehicle and put in 2 CDs...1 Disturbed and 1 of my creation...all competition bagpipe tunes that are considered a "medly." These are faster-paced tunes than a typical March, Strathspey or Reel (MSR) Selection that you might hear at a parade. I play the Disturbed to get my mind 'right' and then the Pipes to announce my presence.
Exactly 15 minutes before "game on", I take a knee, a handful of soil and make a prayer (it is private, so don't ask about it) and then do it again before I leave the field.

TheDarkShadow
06-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I do...

I start my vehicle and put in 2 CDs...1 Disturbed and 1 of my creation...all competition bagpipe tunes that are considered a "medly." I play the Disturbed to get my mind 'right' and then the Pipes to announce my presence.

:cool: :peace:

VS3 Sniper
06-06-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't really have any superstitions but I do make a habit of laying out all my gear that I am gonna use and then I pack it so I wont forget anything.

On a side note my old boss at the field I used to work at NEVER washed his jersey.

STRIKEFIRST
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Yep...

I stretch my knee...take 4 ibuprophen...wrap my knee...and pray to god I don't blow it up again.

xsvly-fat
06-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Our team has more of a 'habit', we always get beef jerky and energy drinks (which always makes our stomach hurt) before an event or practice, I don't know why we do it but we do lol

DRAGON
06-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I'm a little superstitious but not at all when it comes to paintball. Some days I do good, others I do real good. I have some days seems no matter what I do or where I am, I'm always in the right place, right time, perfect decisions. Some days I just do terrible but that doesn't bother me because I'm there to have fun and always do -

My greatest precaution is to use fresh top grade paint, never use field paint and not forget my cup. Last time I used field paint was in the 80's. Top grade paint shoots straight on target, doesn't break in your marker and can make or break your day. Getting hit in the nads will.......well, I suppose I don't need to explain that one -

Superstitions and rituals only serve to psych yourself into thinking you'll have a good day. When that doesn't happen you need to make excuses why it wasn't. If you go with having fun only on your mind there's no need to make excuses with mission accomplished -

calebh
06-07-2008, 12:10 AM
Yep...

I stretch my knee...take 4 ibuprophen...wrap my knee...and pray to god I don't blow it up again.
i'm afraid i may be joining you in that ritual...

otherwise, not really. i'm kinda with dragon on the whole superstition thing. i have a few rituals to make sure all my gear is in working order and to keep myself from forgetting anything, but there's no superstition with that, it's just a common sense precaution.

DFSniper
06-07-2008, 04:11 AM
wow druid, thats pretty serious. i usually lay my stuff out on a thursday evening and leave it by my door so i can grab it when i walk out of the house on saturday morning. but today was kind of a last minute decision, so i'm packing all my gear now.

mrpurplehawk
06-13-2008, 08:12 PM
i always shoot about 10 balls out of my xtra every day starting 5 days before i go so i make sure it works and nothing is worg so i have time to fix it

LostCause
06-14-2008, 06:04 AM
day before: inspect all my gear, make sure it is clean from the last time i cleaned it, gas it up, shoot it make sure it is working great, then pack all my gear.
day of:play some country music on the way there, don't know why...just do lol. Makes the day seem complete ( I <3 country), oh and stop by a a chickfil-a for breakfest :D

shot in the nads=out for a lil while....

nastystankweed
06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
I dont have many superstitions. The only things that I can think of doing before i go play is check the forums and stop by Mcdonalds and get some egg and bacon mcmuffins:mcdonplus: in me. I pack my stuff up about a half hour before I go play.

irishwarrior
06-14-2008, 04:17 PM
I put all my gear (BDU, vest, boots, etc.) on the night before to make sure it still fits, and just generally make sure everything is in working order.

EyeMaster
06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
These are all rituals, not superstitions!

I just make sure I have enough gatorade, allergy pills and sinus headache pills in my bag in case I need them for the day. Once at the field, analyze who the big target of the other team is so I can keep an eye for the most dangerous of them.

LostCause
06-17-2008, 08:44 AM
if i see a black cat....i run it over....jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk.....

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I check my safety before the ref shouts "go". :dodgy:

DFSniper
06-17-2008, 10:53 AM
theres nothing dodgy about that... i borrowed a kids gun (pilot ACS) when mine ran out of air (he had just gotten out, and it was still the beginning of the game) and i forgot to turn the gun on when i ran up behind a guy. THEN, i forgot to take his barrel bag off... needless to say, i got shot in the back while running away, and it became my noob moment of the day...

cyberthrasher_706
06-17-2008, 02:31 PM
i forgot to take his barrel bag off... needless to say, i got shot in the back while running away, and it became my noob moment of the day...
I did that once with my gun. I had set it down for something and somehow knocked the safety and trigger at the same time when I was grabbing it. That was quite the mess. That's why I always treat it like a firearm anyway, if the barrel cover wasn't on it, I would've shot the tree, not my buddy's eye.

HelpDeskHustler
06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I've only had like 4 breakouts ever where I would have rolled people but didn't have the shot because of a safety.... cough*ion*cough

spyderfan4271
07-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I try not to eat to much or anything to heavy, plenty of g2 and my lucky hat.

battlechaser
07-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Normally the gun gets completely disassembled and lubed the week of, and the night before I make sure I have everything.

The other ritual my boss, co-worker and I have as we play is sitting out games to fix other player's markers, nothing is more aggravating then having to lend out your stuff because someone is whining about not knowing how to fix theirs. Keep in mind we all drive about an hour to get to the private field, so someone being out a gun is a bit major for us.

To be honest, I think I'm going to make it mandatory that people fix their own guns, that and I'll print off a random blowback manual for them to go by.

VicReschke0626
07-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I use the same JT gloves since I started playing in late 97. They get washed immediately with mild detergent everytime as soon as I get home. They actually still look pretty good.

Other than that, I just make sure my gear is good to go. Withing 2-3 days after getting back from a day of play, I always strip all my gear and guns apart and clean them like a serial killer, I mean absolutely every fleck of dirt and paint is cleaned off everything until it looks LNIB. Then I lube and reassemble and check to make sure everything is in working order. After that I pack up everything but my tanks, 9.6V batteries, paint and my battery charger.

All my paint is stored in a cool area and mixed and rotated every 3 days. Call me crazy, but I've got even the most dimpled paint to undimple itself in time and shoot nice and straight.

Then the day before I play, I do a quick double check of all my gear, plug the batteries in to charge, get my tanks filled and put anything that I want to drink when I play into my basement fridge.

The day I play I pack the batteries, tanks and paint up, and toss my drinks into a cooler and load the car. Usually the day of play before I get to the field I like to listen to Breaking Benjamin, Disturbed, Slayer...etc to get the pumped up energy flowing through my veins. If my friend is driving, he almost ALWAYS plays Avenged Sevenfold. That works alright too.

And lastly, before I start the countdown for a game, I shoot a couple shots into the ground right before breakout to make sure the gun isn't on SAFE, paint is ready to be fired, and I'm all ready to go.

After that, it's game on.

I don't think anything I do is unusual, although I will say I probably keep my gear cleaner than most, and I probably OCD my paint storage. But hey, you can never have your gear be TOO CLEAN or your paint be TOO PROPERLY STORED.