PDA

View Full Version : vs3 vs ion xe

buriedfriend
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
ok guys im new to the forum and to paintball n general. i own a vs1 and it is a lot of fun to play with. but now im ready to go higher. my friend has and ion xe and im thinking of getting the vs3. i have read alot of the threads in this forum and honestly my brain hurts i have alos watched alot of youtube videos. but now im looking for inside info. please give me all ur opions on these 2 guns. i have also heard that the rocker trigger (which is what gets me realy exited) is not allowed in some arenas. i play alot of woods ball but would like to try the arena scene sometime. im looking to spend around 600 maybe 700. i dont know much about the air system exept what i have read here and that i will buy a scuba tank. any info is greatly apperciated. thnx

TheDarkShadow
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
go for the ion xe

bigred76
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
A scuba is not needed for general paintball use. Trust me on that.

As far as the guns, I'd personally just get a used Timmy for that price, lol! They're my favorite kind of gat by far, and they're about $250 for an Alias now.

Between the Ion XE and VS3, I'd say Ion. The Ion is an EP platform VS the VS3's stacked tube blowback. The Ion thus is a better gun due to the simple design base it's run off of. As far as quality, the VS3 is slightly better as SP designed the Ion for the low-end players on a budget, so some parts are not as durable as they could be. The same with the Spyder, but Kingman has had a LOT more experience with finding ways to cut costs on guns other than the parts that are crucial (STBB). I'm not so convinced on the Ion XE over the regular Ion, as the XE still is a PITA to rip down. You'd have better luck buying a used Ion and a new body for it that has BOB (Bolt Out Back).

buriedfriend
06-02-2008, 01:50 PM
why is a scuba tank not needed for refill of ur small tank. how else would i refill my tank instead of going with the scuba?

as for the ion and the vs3 i see the positives and negs in both thats why im at a toss up. im looking for durabilty. ive seen some of the vids on these guns and it seems the vs3 with the fasta just is a better shooting gun. but like i said i am fairly new at the scene. also my price range for this is for the whole set up. gun tanks refilling needs. just a whole package. thanks for the info keep it coming i guess i should have made this a poll

bamf-hacker
06-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Poll done ;) and welcome to the forums!

bigred76
06-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Going down to the local paintball store so they can fill it. A Scuba system to fill your tank would need two tanks and a fill station. One to mainly fill the tank, and one to top it off. Tanks run about $200/pop, and the fill station is most likely going to run you about $150. Just get a 68/45 instead of a small 48/3k, and you should be good for about 1500 shots, and will only cost ya about $100 more.

As far as durability.... It's hard to get dirt inside of a gun that doesn't have any openings other than where the balls go into and out of. ;) The Ion has that section by far, even though those videos show snapshots of the VS3 being more durable in brief instances under set circumstances.

As far as the Fasta hopper goes, I'd much rather a Halo B myself, simply due to how it activates.

Used Ion with upgrades: $100 shipped to your door
Ion body kit w/BOB: $100 shipped to your door
Used Halo B with RIP drive and V35, with good shells: $75
68/45 tank, NIB from any store: $150-175 shipped to your door

Total: $325-350, shipped to your door. ;)

buriedfriend
06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
thanks bamf for the poll update.

bigred the thing is the local shop is 30miles away. i like to paint ball till my arms fall off or my body gives out. i did good last weekend i only walked away with 10 bruises and one sore arm. lol i see what ur saying about the dirt n the gun on the ion there is no opening. i see some people drop paintballs n the dirt and pick them up and throw them n their gun like its no big deal. im just a lil weary about buying used stuff. u dont realy know how well they took care of it and if it has alot of problems then i have to fix it and for some reason i am in lust for that rocker trigger. what is the difference in the activations on the fasta and the halo. i thought they both had some kind of eye tech. i will defentily get the 68/45. i had read a thread about that and if im not mistaken u even gave the site to get one. ill locate it again and order one. is there any tips that i need to know as a neeby. some does and donts. i have a 14inch barrel on my vs1 and i love it. though i met some one that had like a 20 or 21 and was saying mine was to small. but i felt like he was trying to refer to junk size instead of barrel. maybe a lil compensation. lol well i thank u guys for the info dont be shy on bashing my neebyness i can take critics. also whats a BOB for the ion body kit?

bigred76
06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Bolt Out Back = BOB. It means you can easily take the bolt and firing chamber (the only sealed and moving parts in an Ion apart from the regulator and solenoid) right out the back of the gun easily.

Also, newb = nube = nub = noob = n00b =/= neeb. ;)

Those idiots with the 21" barrel probably are compensating, haha! Good thing you recognize it so early as most do not until they have that notion stuck in their minds. :crazy: 12-16" are what most good barrels are, and they're the standard for the industry. I wouldn't go much shorter or any longer than that.

As far as used stuff goes, take note of the care that the seller types his sales thread with. If it's good, and the pictures show the marker to be in decent shape, normally the internals follow. Heck, send me the link via PM of what you find, and I can tell you if it looks good or not. Post a WTB in the sales section here for used stuff, it'd be easiest on you.

If you really want more air, just buy another 68/45, do not buy a larger size as they start to get too large and too heavy after that for normal paintball use... My shop is about 30mi from me, and is the closest one. It's not too far to go! :)

The Fasta uses a tab system to sense the balls whereas the Halo B uses eyes. Eyes are more reliable until a chop occurs, from my experience.

xsvly-fat
06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
I would get the Ion XE just cause I don't like the rocking trigger, but if you prefer the rocking trigger then get the VS3.

buriedfriend
06-03-2008, 04:50 PM
i dont know which to get. though im leaning more towards the ion. i cant tell the big differnce between the ion and the ion xe. i havnt had a real chance to look though. workn alot of hours. i apologize if this message comes out funny i did it on my phone. thnx for the help.

bigred76
06-03-2008, 05:29 PM
No worries, came out fine. The major difference is the cost. The Ion XE is newer, which means it has a few "new functions." However, as I said, SP was trying to go low end when they normally make high-end and messed it up. An Ion with an aftermarket BOB kit is better, and about the same cost or cheaper.

buriedfriend
06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
this is by far the fastest replies of any forum and that is appericated. i lookd on ebay today and was suprised at how many ions there were. i did pay attention to descriptions and found alot of people selling just cause they wantd tn get out of the sport. im going to keep looking and if i find one i like i will send u a link bigred just for a second opion and i noticed from reading threads that ur on almost every one of them. correct me if im wrong but doesnt the vs3 shoot more bps. thnx

bigred76
06-03-2008, 07:07 PM
It does shoot a few BPS more, but when you're just starting off, 17bps cap is just fine, especially when most tournaments nowadays are at a 15bps cap. ;)

The reason there are so many Ions with that reason is that they're almost a disposable tournament level marker. I know some people who will buy them for $100, win a tournament, turn around and throw them out, and repeat the process. Ridiculous to me, but whatever floats their boat. All they really need are a QEV, barrel, feedneck, and on/off, but then again... 3/4 are standard upgrades for any gun.

Yeah, I've been around the block on these boards... many times... haha!

buriedfriend
06-03-2008, 07:47 PM
well thanx for all the info. i will be getn me an ion in the next week or two. i am going to work on upgrading my vs1 also but thats another thread on the other page if my phone will let me. lol.