PDA

View Full Version : Ouick Question

Paintballadict18
05-31-2008, 10:53 AM
I've receantly purchased an external harddrive for my computer and have backed everything onto it and i wanted to know if i could delete the files on my computer and run them off of the harddrive, i tried deleting all my music to see if i could and when i open up itunes nothing is in the library so now i had to move all my music back to my computer. :confused: :confused:

OSOK
05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
What do you mean by run it off of your hard drive? Like format your computer and instead of the hard drive in your computer just put windows on the hard drive and run it off that?

badlandsrox
05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
your problem with the songs, is that it is going to your master drive right now where they were stored, and where the computer thinks they are (if you select a song, and click get info, it will say where it is located on your hard drive.) to get it to play off your external hard drive, you could do one of two things, 1) format your itunes music thing, then click add a folder, then go to your external hard drives folder, and find where your music is on there, and add that music folder, or 2) go in and edit each songs tag to say where it is now, which is long and tedious so i would just do number one.

As for running your whole computer off that, it could be done, but you would either have to somehow set that up as your C/ drive, or whichever you have as master right now, or for some things you could just uninstall them off the drive they are on now, and reinstall them on the external drive. Or if your really feeling like you have nothing to do for the next few days at all, edit everything like links to everything and all that so that they link to the file on your external drive. if you really wanted to, you could install windows on the external, and just transfer stuff from your "old computer" being your hard drive right now, to your "new computer" being your external hard drive. Im not sure how well any of these would work, as i have never done it before, but i'm just going off of what i know about computers. Long story is, unless you really need them off your hard drive to erase it for some reason, its kinda pointless.

Paintballadict18
06-01-2008, 12:03 AM
well i basically screwed up everything i copied all the music to the ext. hardr. then deleted it all from my laptop then opened up itunes but nothing happens so i change the music file location and nothing happens so then i drag the files off my ext. hard. to itunes then its all there but all my playlists are gone and play counts and ratings and stuff so then i open itunes help and it tells me i have to open itunes with a certain library so i do and it comes up but when i tried to play something it said "--- could not be found would u like to locate it?" and then it would go down my hole library and put an exclamation point next to every song/podcast/video so then i copy all the music back to my laptop and try it again... same problem so i changed the file location back to normal but it still thinks half of my library is running off the ext. hardr. so then i do stuff i cant remember wich results in no luck so then i deleted everything off the ext. hardr. and unplug it and begin the tedious process of locating everysong one by one (im gonna feel like the biggest idiot if there is an easier way cause i sure didn't know)
so then everything works but some albums got lost in the cross fire and some playlist got messed up because of those albums getting lost
so i had to re-import

all that took me 10 and a half hours

and then i accidentaly hit the hardrive it tips over and busts....

so im gonna get another one and all i want to do is have my documents (word files), Pictures, and my itunes library on it nothing else
but maybe games is it possible to run them off the ext. hardrive? or is the speed to slow

deano 177
06-01-2008, 02:59 AM
If your laptop has 2.0 usb ports then it should have fast enough transfer speeds. I don't see why you would have a problem running everything off of your external HD. It seem viable to me.

OSOK
06-01-2008, 10:56 AM
You can run everything off your external, but I am not sure about games because you would have to when you get the setup for the game install it onto the external hard drive.