PDA

View Full Version : Exodus to Germany Begins!!!

MVS1
05-31-2008, 09:58 AM
I finally am on my way, signed out of my old base (Vandenberg AFB, CA.) and have started what is going to be one hell of a cross country trip visiting friends and family before I head to Germany.

Just a short trip itinerary. Right now I'm in Monterey, CA. visiting my Grandparents and Uncle, tomorrow we depart for Portland, OR. to spent sometime with my brother and his family and my Mom.
After that it's off to an Uncle's in south eastern Washington, then yet another Uncle in Boise, ID. Next it's Cody, WY. (by Yellowstone National Park), and then Cheyenne, WY. to visit with friends. From there the really fun begins (:rolleyes: )...Down to Sparta, TN. to spent sometime with my in-laws and then finally Washington D.C. to drop off the Suburban for shipment and fly out of Dulles International on 26 June to Frankfurt, Germany.
If I don't loose my mind or loose any of my kids between here and there it promises to be a fun trip. I'll try and post up pic's along the way.

durrell
05-31-2008, 10:00 AM
Sounds fun. Good luck and stay safe. That is a lot of driving and a LOT of gas money. :p

irishwarrior
05-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Good luck! I live in the DC area and just a little warning. Dulles is perhaps the worst run airport I've ever been to. They are slow, the security lines are horrendous and the lines for ticketing are awful. Once, they made us wait 2 hours to get our checked baggage back even though they were just sitting there ready to be put on the belt. Another time, the line for the tickets was so long that I missed my flight and had to go the next day. And that was after getting there more than an hour early.
/rant

Sorry, my advice to you would be to set out for the airport 3 hours before your flight, gives time for traffic (ridiculously bad), ticketing, etc...

DisIsMyUsername
05-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow Smitty...

That's crazy..and driving it is like whoa. I see why you needed to keep the kids busy now. lol

Good luck with it all, and we'll be waiting on updates.

pbgrandpa
05-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Definitely keep it safe. Man that is some serious driving.

Hossy
05-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Serious driving =/= serious gas...
good luck with that one!

Dulles isnt that bad. You do have to be there early, but It isnt that bad of an airport, atleast when I go there it doesnt seem to be bad. To bad you couldnt fly out of BWI, that is a better airport.

IN DC your going to have either a blast or its going to be a dissapointment. If youve never been there, it is a cool place to see. If you have extra time in DC, the spy museam (sp) is really cool. I havent been there in the last few years, but when I went it was set up amazingly. Hope yall have fun!

irishwarrior
05-31-2008, 12:17 PM
The spy museum gift store is definitely worth checking out, even if you don't see any of the exhibits (which are amazing). Personally, for airports, I prefer Reagan National. More efficient, faster lines and shorter drive.

badlandsrox
05-31-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that if your on military business, any airport in the US will do everything they can to get you onto your flight, even if you are cutting it close, ive seen it happen before, they like throw you on one of those old people carts and clear you through everything asap, and will bump civillians off the flight to get you on, so even if you are flying out of dulles, you dont have much to worry about. lol.

MVS1
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Serious driving =/= serious gas...
good luck with that one!

Dulles isnt that bad. You do have to be there early, but It isnt that bad of an airport, atleast when I go there it doesnt seem to be bad. To bad you couldnt fly out of BWI, that is a better airport.

IN DC your going to have either a blast or its going to be a dissapointment. If youve never been there, it is a cool place to see. If you have extra time in DC, the spy museam (sp) is really cool. I havent been there in the last few years, but when I went it was set up amazingly. Hope yall have fun!
Nice thing is You wonderful tax payers are paying for practically my entire trip, well OK the military is but you get the idea, so thanks guys :D.
I've been to DC and Dulles many times and have 2 days of stuff planned since the kids have never been there, and since we'll be flying out of the international side I had already planned on getting there a couple hours early because we have to go through customs and everything.
Wow Smitty...

That's crazy..and driving it is like whoa. I see why you needed to keep the kids busy now. lol

Good luck with it all, and we'll be waiting on updates.

After I got your DS everybody wanted to play with it so now I have purchased 2 more so everybody has one and about 10 games, most of which can be linked so they can all play the same game together. Since we'll only be on the road 2 or 3 continuous days the whole trip I'm hoping it keeps the kids entertained. If not there's always the laptop to play DVD's.

Thanks guys, pic's and updates as we go.

battlechaser
05-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Wow, that's quite the trip. Something tells me someone's bringing a case of energy drinks.. :p

DFSniper
06-01-2008, 04:18 AM
so where are you going to be stationed again?

you'll enjoy it in germany. make sure to hit up the big cities and as many castles as possible. i think my favorite part of germany is how they've kept the old medieval and victorian buildings instead of tearing them down and building over them in the cities.

TheDarkShadow
06-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Good luck MVS1!

MVS1
06-02-2008, 06:05 PM
so where are you going to be stationed again?

you'll enjoy it in germany. make sure to hit up the big cities and as many castles as possible. i think my favorite part of germany is how they've kept the old medieval and victorian buildings instead of tearing them down and building over them in the cities.

I'm going to be just outside of Ramstein Air Base at Kapaun Air Station, most of the time at least. My new job is going to have me traveling all over Europe doing comm system installs and maintenance, which is going to be awesome!!!