PDA

View Full Version : Altering the velocity spring

Zee
05-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Will cutting then stretching the spring at the velocity adjustment screw make for more FPS? (for any marker, not just MR1)

irishwarrior
05-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Dunno, just get a spring kit and you would be set IMO. 32 Degrees has a kick-butt spring kit.

Jungle_Expert
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
I have the Trinity Spring Kit, and believe me, it makes a world of difference, I recomend you to use a spring kit not to alter the OEM one.

XSiv Force
05-29-2008, 06:22 PM
if you cut then stretch it arent you just undoing what you just spent time cutting it for?........But yes get a spring kit

Zee
05-29-2008, 06:27 PM
The reason I ask is that I just bought a Viewloader Maxis second hand for $30 and the velocity spring is rusted and bent outta shape. I have no idea what spring kit would fit that marker.

cyberthrasher_706
05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
I'd take a guess and say it's a spyder clone so you'd probably be ok with any old spyder spring kit. And the only benefit to cutting than stretching a stock spring would be making it lighter with less resistance. I don't know how much help it would be though.

Zee
05-30-2008, 09:31 AM
The spring seems to be bigger than others that Ive seen and stretched out more also. Maybe I'll just bring it to the local shop and see what they say. Thanks for all the help.

malJohann
06-02-2008, 02:41 AM
Will cutting then stretching the spring at the velocity adjustment screw make for more FPS? (for any marker, not just MR1)

No. A spring works because of the metal twisting around it's own axis during compression. A longer length of metal takes more force to twist, so shortening it, then stretching it is not going to make it more stiff. It's going to make it less stiff for the same overall length. Hope this makes sense.