PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones...

bamf-hacker
05-20-2008, 10:32 AM
OK so who else is going to see it on opening day or midnight on Wednesday.

????

I cant wait.

irishwarrior
05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Personally, I could see if Shia Lebouf (SP) were Indiana Jones' son and Indie performed Sean Connery's role, but c'mon Harrison Ford is pretty old to be doing this kind of stuff. And the whole Soviets/Nazis thing seems completely overused in the Indiana jones series.

/rant :)

DFSniper
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
well, its about 20 years after the last movie, so thats why it takes place during the cold war instead of pre-WWII. its also an excuse for and older harrison ford.

i probably won't see it on opening night seeing as i have to get up at 5am the next day, but i'll probably see it before the end of next week.

vikingshadow
05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
The first two movies came out when I was in high school and college, then the 3rd came out shortly after I was married. They were GREAT flicks (well, not so much the second one) but I think that television has watered it down so much for the past 20 years that the younger crowd just won't like it as much as we did the originals. All the one liners, the subtlety, etc - I'm looking forward to it!

I think Shia will do ok. He's a decent actor with lots of range, IMO. If Leonardo DiCaprio can go from Titanic to Gangs of New York to The Disturbed, Shia Lebou or whatever his name is can certainly do as this as well. Also, it won't be the same with Russians instead of Nazis, but that's ok. It's also not set in the Middle East, which the others were so it's just another adventure. (Again, the second wasn't set in the Middle East...but I don't think it was the same quality as the other two.)

Unfortunately, it only got bleh reviews from Cannes. We'll have to wait and see!

DFSniper
05-20-2008, 01:52 PM
i agree with vike. i grew up watching indy and star wars with my dad, so i dont think i fit in that "younger crowd" :D i loved shia in transformers, it reminded me of the old even stevens days... and commies are meh, fake russian accents < fake german accents.

battlechaser
05-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Indiana Jones changed my life. And It'll change yours too! ;)

spray and pray
05-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Indiana Jones was a great movie. Hopefully this one isn't bad. I saw this show about the whole "Crystal Skull" thing the other day. That made me really turned off from the new Indiana Jones because the guy that was sharing what he knows about the "crystal skulls" said that in the skull you can see a alien. All I got out of that show was take these mushrooms and you can see aliens too. That still won't stop me from going to see it tomorrow at midnight though.

DFSniper
05-20-2008, 02:21 PM
lol. i didnt watch that, but i watched the one about the rituals from Temple of Doom

spray and pray
05-20-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't normally watch those things on the science fiction channel. I wish I didn't....

DFSniper
05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
history channel FTW!

irishwarrior
05-20-2008, 03:00 PM
i agree with vike. i grew up watching indy and star wars with my dad, so i dont think i fit in that "younger crowd" :D i loved shia in transformers, it reminded me of the old even stevens days... and commies are meh, fake russian accents < fake german accents.

:yeahthat:

HelpDeskHustler
05-20-2008, 06:04 PM
I won't lie, in that scifi crystal skull special I disproved about 30% of their evidence of "paranormal activity" just by being more tech saavy. When he's filming the guy holding the skull with a thermal camera, they say the measure a spike of it's temperature from 70* to 80* when it's quite obvious that the small crosshair where temperature is being sampled moves around from a cooler area to a warmer area and that there was no spike at all, just a shakey cameraman.

spray and pray
05-21-2008, 02:24 AM
Yeah, at first I thought they were just moving there hand in front of it.... They don't have a clue what they are talking about.

calebh
05-21-2008, 08:33 AM
i'm seeing it friday probably. i liked the original 3, so i'm really looking forward to this one. harrison ford is probably one of my favorite actors.

OSOK
05-21-2008, 01:06 PM
I just have to say, ford is to old...

vikingshadow
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
No, he's not. This is a PERFECT role for him, and the story will definitely reflect his age (duh). You don't seriously think older people just give up and sit around doing nothing just because they get older? My dad, who turns 72 this year, works harder and does more now than he did 30 years ago.

I just sort of bristle when I see a post like that. Really, that's spoken like someone who's too young...

Think about it - Indiana Jones is an explorer/archaeologist and it's in his blood. The writer's will definitely play up to his age, hence bringing in Shia Lebou into the show. I personally think it's a MUCH better than bringing in someone else in a "remake" and they are doing a good thing keeping him in this role. I'm happy he wants to do it!

Harrison Ford has been one of my favorite actors for a long time now. I'm glad to see him staying in the roles that helped make him famous (but staying away from Star Wars, thank goodness!)

DFSniper
05-21-2008, 01:48 PM
i agree. plus you can joke about his age now. i can forsee a lot of "thats not how it used to work" jokes and "back in my day"

OSOK
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I do like the fact that he is playing as an older Indie, and they didn't try to make Indie younger.

deano 177
05-21-2008, 04:27 PM
I won't lie, in that scifi crystal skull special I disproved about 30% of their evidence of "paranormal activity" just by being more tech saavy. When he's filming the guy holding the skull with a thermal camera, they say the measure a spike of it's temperature from 70* to 80* when it's quite obvious that the small crosshair where temperature is being sampled moves around from a cooler area to a warmer area and that there was no spike at all, just a shakey cameraman.
Those FLIR cameras are hard to read anyway. Taps sees all kinds of crap with theirs. I used one for Miller Electric for about two years scanning hot spots in electrical pannels. You can get heat reflected off of any and everything. Even if the camera and skull were perfectly still if someone walked by behind the camera it might pick up their heat reflecting off of the skull. When we were in buildings, we could point it out the window and see perfect reflections of ourselfs.

FLIR = no proof of paranormal activities

STRIKEFIRST
05-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I can't wait to see Jones!

Now I have theme music in my head...

Ace24
05-21-2008, 07:14 PM

I second that... and I still watch them today. Hell, the other week, I ran though the entire Star Wars collection (aren't there suppose to be 3 more? I know there are 3 more books...).

I wonder if Harrison is going to do another IJ trilogy.

Either way, I'm going to see it fairly soon.

HelpDeskHustler
05-22-2008, 02:30 AM
Those FLIR cameras are hard to read anyway. Taps sees all kinds of crap with theirs. I used one for Miller Electric for about two years scanning hot spots in electrical pannels. You can get heat reflected off of any and everything. Even if the camera and skull were perfectly still if someone walked by behind the camera it might pick up their heat reflecting off of the skull. When we were in buildings, we could point it out the window and see perfect reflections of ourselfs.

FLIR = no proof of paranormal activities
Yea, but at least taps tries not to jump to too many conclusions. I mean these people missed something that I could see ON TV. which means that it's a terribly obvious mistake.

DisIsMyUsername
05-22-2008, 06:32 AM
So...

updates?

bamf-hacker
05-22-2008, 08:27 AM
just got back... I liked it.

DisIsMyUsername
05-22-2008, 09:06 AM
that's it?

DFSniper
05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
I second that... and I still watch them today. Hell, the other week, I ran though the entire Star Wars collection (aren't there suppose to be 3 more? I know there are 3 more books...).

theres about 150 more books in the expanded universe, so i dont know which 3 youre talking about.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=34690336

i lol'd

Warnichek
05-23-2008, 06:02 AM
I am going to see it Saturday. I think i have talked myself into not liking it. Just for the simple fact of the ignorant fake Russian accents, and the scene where the are swinging with a bunch of monkeys. But i hope there are some good one liners and Indy's famous facial expressions. (like when he goes for his gun in the second one and it's not there. his look of "ah crap")

Ace24
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
I saw Harrison on Conan a couple nights ago and they were talking about how he's getting older and wondering how he's doing it still. He is still just as funny as he was when he was younger. I honestly think with age, he's gotten funnier.

He's got that kind of old man humor now.

OSOK
05-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Saw it tonight... I really didn't like it....

DisIsMyUsername
05-23-2008, 10:11 PM
just got back. I enjoyed it.

a bit odd though.

HelpDeskHustler
05-24-2008, 07:33 AM
pet peeve: stop linking to myspace videos and just refind the video on youtube, where it doesn't suck.

OSOK
05-24-2008, 09:50 AM
just got back. I enjoyed it.

a bit odd though.

Just a bit odd? It was VERY odd.

calebh
05-24-2008, 11:54 AM
yeah, it was odd, but it was entertaining. i really didn't pay attention to the plot. i just enjoyed the classic indy action. it was a little light on the one liners, though. not my favorite, but worth seeing just for fun

irishwarrior
05-26-2008, 06:34 PM
I saw it over the weekend. It wasn't my favorite (Raiders FTW!). It was light on the one-liners but heavy in "old-man humor". It was a little too sci-fi for an Indiana Jones movie IMO.

DFSniper
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
my family went to go see it, but they didnt bother asking me if i wanted to go, so i got stuck at home doing the dishes... :( going on thursday with some friends though.

Warnichek
05-27-2008, 04:56 AM
saw it Saturday morning. a little better than I thought it was going to be. I still like Raiders the best. Old man jokes were good. sci-fi parts were meh. still fun to watch i guess.

DRAGON
05-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Saw this with my kids last weekend. I beleive they may have spent only a portion on this production as the others. A bit weaker in content from previous adventures. I do possibly see another in the future from the end of this one. Kinda like a Charlie Chan and son dillio with Indy Jones adventure undertones. I doubt I'd ever see another in a theater after this one. This was more like a made for TV version IMO -

deano 177
05-29-2008, 09:24 AM
theres about 150 more books in the expanded universe, so i dont know which 3 youre talking about.

Probably talking about 7, 8, 9, where luke becomes the emporer and leah has to save him... I don't think that those are from lucas.

I'm so over starwars. Lucas effed up when he did three. Anikin/ vader was weak. He basically killed a bunch of kid jedi's and if obiwan wasn't such a pus he would have wacked vader on the lava planet.

bamf-hacker
05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
and if obiwan wasn't such a pus he would have wacked vader on the lava planet.

He did wack him on Mustafar (the lava planet ;)), he left him for dead, but the super duper Emperor Palpatine came and got him before he bit it. He was lucky it was a light saber that cauterized the wounds so he didnt bleed to death :)

HelpDeskHustler
05-29-2008, 12:05 PM
He did wack him on Mustafar (the lava planet ;)), he left him for dead, but the super duper Emperor Palpatine came and got him before he bit it. He was lucky it was a light saber that cauterized the wounds so he didnt bleed to death :)

Ya because molten lava leaves open wounds. :dodgy:

DFSniper
05-29-2008, 01:01 PM
Saw this with my kids last weekend. I beleive they may have spent only a portion on this production as the others. A bit weaker in content from previous adventures. I do possibly see another in the future from the end of this one. Kinda like a Charlie Chan and son dillio with Indy Jones adventure undertones. I doubt I'd ever see another in a theater after this one. This was more like a made for TV version IMO -

saw it last night. its was... decent... the set was really bad, especially at the beginning. you could tell the backdrop was less than 10' behind them when they got into the town. i think the main reason this one wasnt as good was because it was more sci-fi oriented and less religion oriented. and the constant back-to-back action scenes were a little overboard, whereas in the old ones you had a lot more dialog. and i have to disagree with drago. my friend was all "shia lebouf will be the next indy" but as soon as ford took the hat back, i knew it was a sign from spielberg/lucas.

deano 177
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
That's my whole point. He was supposed to be the baddest mofo around. If lucas would have had him fight Mace and beat him then I could have dealt with the film as a whole. But as it is vader was nothing more than a yes man to the emperor who had to save his but every time he got in a sticky situation.

DFSniper
05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
But as it is vader was nothing more than a yes man to the emperor who had to save his but every time he got in a sticky situation.

i dont know how many of the books you read but as it turns out, vader resented being palpatine's tool/weapon/whatever. i could go into A LOT of detail, but it'd get confusing... too many books involved.

edit:
Probably talking about 7, 8, 9, where luke becomes the emporer and leah has to save him... I don't think that those are from lucas.

?? its not mentioned HERE (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Luke_Skywalker), so i dunno...