PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Mortar

irishwarrior
05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm thinking about making a paintball mortar. I would like to know if this sounds feasible and if so would it even be field legal?

I'm thinking CO2 powered, PVC and firing balloons filled with paint or grapeshot.

What do ya'll think?

slim and shady
05-17-2008, 09:41 AM
I know that they are corse legal we use them all the time but we are in Canada. Because they are not a direct shot device there is no chance of harm. bare in mind however it is alot harder to hit a target with morters then you may think! unless you are in trench warfair with a large "no mans land" between the opposing forces. It's hard to zero in on targets that move quickly. they are real effective in real life combat because no one wants to die right! But for paintball you sit in a dead box 10 min, so usually they will charge right through a berrage. Also you need alot more then 1 to be effective, 10 or so is nice but then you have to be attending large scenarios to have enough people that some would be willing to opperate them.

interceptorMR2
05-17-2008, 10:50 AM
I've always loved the idea of a paintball mortar, but how in the world would you aim at leas semi-accurately? Sure, you could make it, but i think to get it to zero in on a position well, you would need to spend an extensive amount of time on trying out sights for it. Sounds like a great project though!

irishwarrior
05-17-2008, 10:59 AM
For zeroing, protractor, math skills and pen and paper.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 11:04 AM
practice and knowledge of physics. you need to know your trajectory so you can gauge where the paint will fall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory

basically you have your initial velocity and your height. ignoring wind and air resistance, your height will be 1/2 distance from you to the target. so changing your angle will affect your height, and generally, the higher the height, the lower the distance, but thats common knowledge if you think about it.

slim and shady
05-17-2008, 11:08 AM
yup your first shot is just a ranging shot gives you an idea of what you need to do to get on yourmark. it's not that hard to do it if your target isnt constantly running ahead closing the gap. They are great for seige scenarios and any oprotunity where you may get your oposition pinneed down.

irishwarrior
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Also if firing grape shot, as long as the balls don't break i the barrel quite intimidating. Think about it, about 500-1000 paintballs, just falling from the sky.

SpyderMan723
05-17-2008, 01:05 PM
good luck chrono-ing that S.O.B

colonel_moo
05-17-2008, 02:49 PM
i can't really picture this thing being very useful. Sure there might be one or two instances where it would be useful, but otherwise, you're going to have trees above you in which case none of the balls are going to make it to the target, and if you target is, for some reason, hanging around in the open, they aren't going to be there for long enough for you to calculate your shot, get it set up and actually fire. Plus, you would have to get some pretty brittle balls in order for them to break from the fall, which would make the tree canopy situation worse.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I'd recommend not wasting your time.

interceptorMR2
05-17-2008, 03:21 PM
well I dont know if it is a waste of time, slim and shady's field uses them all the time in their scenarios. I'm sure it probably should only be used in big scenario events though, otherwise they wont be as effective i guess.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 03:41 PM
good luck chrono-ing that S.O.B

put it over a chrono? or put a handheld chrono in front of it?

irishwarrior
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Would it be practical, probably not. Would it be awesome to fire, most definitely.

LostCause
05-17-2008, 05:24 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=utIBGsM85yk&feature=related

motars used in russia

oldironmudder
05-17-2008, 05:38 PM
why not build it off of a cannon & rearrange some things to ive it the right looks.

kramernator
05-18-2008, 07:37 AM
are you guys thinking something like this?

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/mkramernator/shoulderoverview.jpg

or this?

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/mkramernator/Firstgun.jpg

it all started with a potato gun, then progressed from there.

slim and shady
05-18-2008, 09:20 AM
There is nothing wrong with morters, and unless you are playing woodsball stricktly I have never seen a paintball corse where trees cover the entire corse. Common sceance would tell you you cant use a "rain" down weapon in the forest go to the open places. The thing about open places is there is alot of stuff to hide behind from direct fire but not from lob shoots. For grape shoot I agree i most of the ones I have seen shot out of morters are ineffective because they dont break stick to a waterballon style fragmentation grenade. They have a kill radiuse of 20 feet (with 3-5 oz of paint) and if you have good refs they will just start yankin guys off the feild. Launchers, tanks, props IMO are all nessissary for a great fun scenario. I would build one even just to play around with. They are even concidered legal to kill a tank if you hit it with a direct hit from either a frag grenade (has to be loobed form at least a 45* angle with morter) to kill it or at least 3 balls have to break from grapeshoot in its kill box. A morter is never a wais tof time they are fun even just to play with in your back yard.

But this is one of those iteams that are loved or hated and the opinions on them and how effective they are are extreamly ranged. I respect everyones opinions on it and im not sayin mine are right and theres are wrong, IMO build one there cheep and try it for yourself!

slim and shady
05-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I came across this in the Empire, thought you might find it worth a look Irish, and anyone else planing homemade PVC launching devices. Air pressure is no joke, keep in mind this is from a sholder launcher not a morter but hey if you got your body near it whats the diff. check it out.
http://milsimempire.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2600

irishwarrior
05-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the info slim. Kramernator, something like that. I built a tennis ball mortar out of pringles cans and I wish I could use that, but I can't exactly use naptha (SP?) (non-butane lighter fluid) to fire paint.

slim and shady
05-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Let me know how it turns out and throw up a few pics if you do decide to build one.

irishwarrior
05-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I will. Maybe that can be a summer project...

slim and shady
05-18-2008, 04:06 PM
it's summer :D Now im gonna hastle you every day till you get it done, so whe you makin a "Irish's Morter project" thread?????

irishwarrior
05-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Once I can get the O.K. from my field and my parents to make it I will post the thread :).

irishwarrior
05-18-2008, 05:41 PM
If I did build something like this what do you think I should build: A) a mortar B) a portable launcher that can fire paint filled balloons and grapeshot or C) something else

slim and shady
05-18-2008, 06:08 PM
I voted something else because i feel you should make one that could be used as both a shoulder launched device or a morter with teliscopic fold out legs so it doesnt look out of place when used as a shoulder launched unit. that way you have the best of both worlds.

But if I had to pick Morter or shoulder launched i would say morter, they are way cooler when used in mass and each team attacking or defending just has a blast when these things start going off!

irishwarrior
05-19-2008, 01:56 AM
^Ooooh, I like it. I may use that, but let's see what other people come up with first.