PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Help

paintballkid0206
05-17-2008, 05:42 AM
OK, i have an acoustic guitar that i can play fairly well, but at the end of the month, I'm getting an electric. I was looking at tabs online and there's some stuff that i need to know. Here's the key from the tab (I dont know how to do any of this so please help)

KEY:
T = play with thumb
/ = slide up
\ = slide down
^ = bend ^q = quarter tone ^h = half tone ^F = full tone
if letter is above the fret #, note is bent THEN picked
h = hammer
p = pull-off
g = grace note - written above note to be 'graced'
~ = vibrato

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 06:16 AM
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/

that should help.

spray and pray
05-17-2008, 06:33 AM
^^^ That should help you. I stopped playing the guitar about a year ago. The only ones I remember too much are hammer, slide, and bend. Hammer is play hard, slide is slide to the next fret, and bend is bend the string so it makes a different sound.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 07:26 AM
yeah, i can do most of em, but i can't explain them. its also kinda hard to do some of those on acoustic. maybe Shu will come in and explain it, he plays a lot.

kidonfire
05-17-2008, 07:38 AM
OK, i have an acoustic guitar that i can play fairly well, but at the end of the month, I'm getting an electric. I was looking at tabs online and there's some stuff that i need to know. Here's the key from the tab (I dont know how to do any of this so please help)

KEY:
T = play with thumb
This is where you wrap your thumb all the way around the neck to play a note on the low E string.
/ = slide up
instead of lifting your finger to play the next note, keep the string pressed down and slide to the next note.
\ = slide down
Same as above, except opposite direction
^ = bend ^q = quarter tone ^h = half tone ^F = full tone
if letter is above the fret #, note is bent THEN picked
h = hammer
I'm assuming they mean a hammer-on. Do this by picking a note and "hammering" your finger down on the next note without strumming.
p = pull-off
Almost the same as the hammer-on, except you hold two notes on the same string, one higher and one lower, and pick the string. Release the higher fret and you should then get the sound of the lower fret.
g = grace note - written above note to be 'graced'
This is essentially(SP?) a very quick pull off. hold the fret higher and release it almost at the same time as you pick. It should only be heard for a split second.
~ = vibrato
This is rocking your finger back and forth with your fretting hand on the string to create a vibrating sound.

I just started playing recently so there were a couple I didn't know. I know there are a couple guys here that will be able to tell you the others/correct me.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 07:43 AM
I just started playing recently so there were a couple I didn't know. I know there are a couple guys here that will be able to tell you the others/correct me.

sounds about right. with the bends, i think you just have to play it by ear until you figure out how much you have to bend the note.

shunut
05-17-2008, 08:00 AM
KEY:
T = play with thumb - You use your thumb on your fret hand to play the corresponding fret.

/ = slide up - If you are sliding "UP" your note pitch is getting higher, for example 5 / 7. Thats sliding from the 5th fret to the 7th fret, you only pick the first note of the slide.

\ = slide down - If you are sliding "DOWN" your note pitch is getting lower, for example 7 \ 5. Thats sliding from the 7th fret to the 5th fret, you only pick the first note of the slide.

^ = bend ^q = quarter tone ^h = half tone ^F = full tone if letter is above the fret #, note is bent THEN picked - Bends are exactly that, bending. The quality of the bend is tricky though because this is where some music theory comes in. Each fret on a guitar neck is a 1/2 step away from the one before and the one after it. So to practice bends play 1 fret, say the 5th fret. Listen to that tone. Now go to the 4th fret and play it, then bend the string with your fret hand to mimic the sound of the 5th fret. That would equal ^h.

h = hammer - Hammer On is simple playing a note with only your fret hand, there is no picking involved. All you do is hit the fret you want to play with a finger and hold it.

p = pull-off - Pull-Offs are also only played with the fret hand. With your fret hand put your first finger on the 5th fret and your second or third finger, which ever is more comfortable for you, on the 7th fret. Pick the string, now lift your finger off of the 7th fret but when you do, kind of pluck the string. You can also do this without picking, just pull your finger off the 7th fret in the plucking motion and you should get a sound. Remember that whatever fret you have your finger on above the finger you are pulling-off with is the note that will be played. So for this example you are actually playing the note of the 5th fret.

g = grace note - written above note to be 'graced' - Grace notes have no value. They are played then the note connected to it is immediately played.

~ = vibrato - There are many ways to get vibrato so I will try to explain what it is, then you'll have to figure out how you like playing vibrato. Vibrato is like a bend, except you are going to bend, then release multiple times to make the tone "vibrate". When I say release that doesn't mean you let go of the string. In a bend, if it says release, it means return the string to its original position.

All that being said, you can practice all of this on your acoustic. That way when you get your electric, you already have an idea. It might be a little harder to do these things on an acoustic because the strings are heavier but it can still be done.

Also, I want to warn you that online tabs aren't always accurate. Actually from what I've found, lots of them are wrong. There are a lot of people who put stuff up on these tab sites that don't know how to notate their tabs, so the song is wrong the way they write it and will get very confusing. Online tabs also don't have any time signatures or note values.

I hope I helped some.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 08:17 AM
:up::up:
Also, I want to warn you that online tabs aren't always accurate. Actually from what I've found, lots of them are wrong. There are a lot of people who put stuff up on these tab sites that don't know how to notate their tabs, so the song is wrong the way they write it and will get very confusing. Online tabs also don't have any time signatures or note values.

yeah. it may sound somewhat the same, but most of the time its not 100% accurate. i would buy GuitarPro, because if you're serious about your music, the tabs are much easier to read than a bunch of numbers and dashes.

spray and pray
05-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Tabs are almost always wrong, I reccomend making your own tabs or trying to find a tab that isn't wrong which might take a while.

Paradox313
05-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Oh dude yeah. Guitar pro is the best way to learn tabs. I can't remember how much it costs, but a friend of mine wants me to get into playing, and he mentioned GP a A LOT of times.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 08:46 AM
$50. unless you have connections...

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 12 seconds.

shunut
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
GuitarPro is cool for tabs but you have to know how to right tab. I have it on my computer and I use it to get timing down. For this to work though you have to know tempo, note value and key signature.

I just got a new program that is pretty awesome. Its called Band-In-A-Box. You setup chord changes, select the style of music you want to play (they have over 1700 styles). Then the program generates a band for you, complete with drums, strings, horns, piano, everything. Its awesome for working on soloing and stuff like that.

There are a couple sites online that you can download actual sheet music with tablature on it. I have used both of these in the past:

www.musicnotes.com
www.sheetmusicdirect.com

You can find some cool songs for $0.99. The nice part about this is you know its right.

DFSniper
05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
i forgot about those sites. my mom used those to get songs for my sister (trumpet and flute)

paintballkid0206
05-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys. i know that online tqabs are sometimes wrong and i tweakhem a little or dont play them if they dson't sound close enough. I'll check out some of those music sites and see what they have. I'm an 80s rock kinda guy (AC/DC, Def Leppard, Poison, etc.). And i'm a country guy with my acoustic. thanks lots!

EDIT- i'm gonna look into a few song books with TAB in them when i go and get my guitar.

cyberthrasher_706
05-29-2008, 07:00 PM
yeah, I just suggest using tab as a starting point. My own preference is to learn techniques in different songs, not the actual songs, so write or wrong I end up only learning bits and pieces of tab than figuring the rest out on my own and I usually don't even learn the songs. I've figured out that there are alot of people out there (nobody here that I know of) that claim to be guitar players but they only play songs that somebody else has already written and they just don't know how to come up with their own stuff. I may not know how to play other peoples songs but at least I can write because I've learned a bunch of different styles.