PDA

View Full Version : finally off this rock and moving

big_daddy_d
05-14-2008, 12:01 AM
After 4 years in Hawaii the army has decided to move me and my family, will report to ft Campbell Kentucky in December. Anyone from around there let me know what the area is like.

HelpDeskHustler
05-14-2008, 03:40 AM
After 4 years in Hawaii the army has decided to move me and my family, will report to ft Campbell Kentucky in December. Anyone from around there let me know what the area is like.

I know what Kentucky is generally like. Southern Kentucky is a lot like Tennessee, it's really humid and fairly hot in the summer, doesn't usually get snow until late December or even January. Lots of hills, small lakes, etc. North Kentucky is very Ohio Miami valley like, Weather is decent but allergens stay in the air for a long time, weather is very variable though. 60* and sunny can become 20* and snow within a few hours. North East Kentucky is pretty much like South Kentucky but a tiny bit cooler.

Hope that helps.

bamf-hacker
05-14-2008, 04:46 AM
Congrats on getting off the rock LOL

http://www.nps.gov/alca/historyculture/images/Alcatraz_Aerial.jpg

Get me something good from Hawaii before you come back :)

Hossy
05-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Congrats on getting off the rock LOL

http://www.nps.gov/alca/historyculture/images/Alcatraz_Aerial.jpg

hahaha

There are a few people on here from Kentucky. Glad your moving back

deano 177
05-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Don't take the lava rock. Its bad luck.:):(

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM
at knox. we have friends down at campbell, its about a 3 hour drive. theres big D Day scenario game up here beginning of june, and Stalingrad in october. too bad you won't be here by then.

STRIKEFIRST
05-14-2008, 08:38 AM
I did work at fort campbell about 4 years ago...hot...muggy...Half in KY half in TN (I think)actually. Winter's aren't all that bad...they get more ice than snow...when they get snow...dear god look out...the store shelves get cleared...bread water bateries etc...and they can't drive at all.

My wifes from KY...you'll need bug repellent to ball or hunt or fish for that matter...Ticks...I hate em. We lived in Hartford, KY for about 5 years and I worked in Bowling Green for about that whole time. The only thing I hated were snakes and ticks.

The base itself isn't bad. Everyone I worked with and trained were fantastic people.

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
lol, everyones right about KY. it sucks! the first freeze isnt til late november/ early december and the pollen comes out in march. also, up here the weather can't decide what it wants to be like. it'll stop raining and get sunny for about a week, but i know if i wash my car, it'll rain within a day or two.

about the snow, we had a "really bad" blizzard a few months ago. next county over (which borders Knox) went to a state of emergency, but the owner of the McDonald's chain in our county wouldn't shut us down until the government deemed it necessary. most of our people couldn't come to work, so we shut down the lobby and sat inside watching the cars drive by. there was still an AMAZING amount of traffic!

VS3 Sniper
05-14-2008, 09:02 AM
My family has a house in Lexington, Ky(which we are about to sell) but the ppl in Ky are very nice. The weather isn't great. I would reccomend buying a heavy coat if ur moving back in the winter.

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
definitely! its too late this time of the year though :( i've been trying to find a leather jacket for over a month now, but everyone's only selling summer clothes. guess i'll have to check the harley dealership in louisville :D

codymm1014
05-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Yea KY is alright. Like everyone said its humid and uin the upper 80's in summer, cold slushy winters. Really bad for allergies though.

Plenty of places to play paintball, but theres not much else to do here.

VS3 Sniper
05-14-2008, 04:24 PM
^ where do u play at? last time I was home I couldn't find a place to play w/o driving out.

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 04:28 PM
theres a couple places near lexington. check the kentucky forum on PBN.

badlandsrox
05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Excited to be leaving Hawaii? WHY?!?!?! But good luck on the move, and all that.

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 05:04 PM
cost of living is crazy, and the natives don't like mainlanders. can't say i blame you.

big_daddy_d
05-14-2008, 05:49 PM
they don't like the term natives lmao... I have gotten along with any of the "locals" I have interacted with in my 4 years here. You show them respect and they will return the favor. Just ready to leave. Something about the fact that no matter which direction I drive I know I will hit the ocean in half an hour or less is starting to get to me...

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 06:19 PM
haha, i heard you can do everything there is to do in a week.

big_daddy_d
05-14-2008, 06:45 PM
pretty much. Never got around to the other islands which I'm sure I'll end up regretting.

OSOK
05-14-2008, 06:48 PM
I've been to Hawaii 10+ times, and honestly just visiting kind of gets old. You have to be in a different place every time to really have fun.

HelpDeskHustler
05-15-2008, 03:43 AM
Some people have fun doing nothing on vacation. I hate that.