PDA

View Full Version : SLY barrel: opinions

claustrophobia9
02-23-2006, 03:41 PM
slightly a news thread, but i want to know what you think about these new barrels. heres their ad (small text, their fault, not mine) http://www.slyequipment.com/images/Doc/SLY-TECH-center-2.jpg

here is the home page: http://www.slyequipment.com/frontend/default.asp

whier backs appear to be about 3-4 inches, and come in aluminum and titanium. they come in multiple bores as well.

these guys have alot of technical stuff on their site, which i like and dislike. i like it cause it helps me compare, i dont like it because people tend to exaggerate and i cant tell if its BS. what do you think.

i know barrel isnt everything, and paintballs arent made precisely enough to base accuracy on a barrel all the way... etc, i dont care, i want to know what you think about the barrel, not about barrels in general

ZippyWilikens286
02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
It looks like an ok product but no way in H E double hockey sticks am I going to pay 190 for a barrel set up. CF is nice but if youve got an AC threaded gun Deadlywind has wisper barrel you can get for 75 and they take freak inserts, or for that matter just a freak barrel set up. even if you get one back and the barrel its still 120 youch!

claustrophobia9
02-23-2006, 03:59 PM
the deadly wind is cross thread cf all the way through, i dont know if thats really bad because the resin covers it but sly makes it sound horrible, im wondering how they got the resin to be a matte color, its supposed to always be that shine. also they sell titanium backs... and im a sucker for expensive metal.

ZippyWilikens286
02-23-2006, 04:13 PM
Ive got a 12in DW on my mag I was shooting polar ice in 5 deg. weather and got paint breaks but I shot 4 rounds thought it and the barrel cleaned out fine so I dont think it affects it much

claustrophobia9
02-23-2006, 04:15 PM
i know these cfs arent supposed to be swabbed... only plunger/ rubber squeegie things.

timbertiger20
02-23-2006, 05:20 PM
That was only the first batches of barrels not the later ones. I personally bought the Switch Mamba Kit. What I discovered.......waste of money. I've tried sizing balls. What I've found is I'm better off to use the .691 and leave it there! Sometimes I get a pod from someone else....makes a mess! Also I haven't found any accuracy loss what-so-ever by keeping with the bigger size. I can shoot incredible groups at 75 feet. No complaints! I would say it's the best barrel for the money and it lowers your sound signature alot! On the other hand Sly's new barrels look hot! I do like the looks!

edit: On stiffi's site it still says don't use swabs.......however on PBN awhile back there was a post from SITE saying it was a problem with the older barrels that was fixed. I haven't had a problem with mine and I use a swab! Still a mirror finish inside!

claustrophobia9
02-24-2006, 02:35 AM
sly's site also says not to use swabs.

DyNasty9
02-24-2006, 08:30 AM
i read about these barrels awhile back. their concept with the tapered part is really good but id just throw a bigger insert in my freak. but the downfall of the freak is its heavy, and this being "dual carbon" im guessing its light. id wana use it before i bought it.

phatphil
02-24-2006, 11:23 AM
I don't know, I think it looks really good. I don't have a clue how it performs though; their concept sounds more like hype then fact.

DFSniper
02-24-2006, 11:30 AM
not sure about the concept, but i dont like the color scheme, doesnt match my black gun...

claustrophobia9
02-24-2006, 12:04 PM
not sure about the concept, but i dont like the color scheme, doesnt match my black gun...
thats the beauty of cf or titanium, it stands out, its a status marker... just like the LV print on hoppers, bandanas etc.

i voted no opinion... it looks like other than that, we have an even spread, but none on "it sucks"