PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question about the "eye's"

grim
05-13-2008, 12:11 AM
My new MR3 has arrived. Was missing a piece that Kingman is shipping, no big deal.

I decided to mess with it a little without air (because I'm out). It does the usual clicking thru the 3 modes. So I charge the bolt (cock, whatever), it will not close the bolt (fire) in "eyes on" mode. Works fine in "eyes off" and "auto". Is this normal?

There are no paintballs in the marker, and no co2 bottle attached. This is my first marker with eyes, and don't really know what to expect. It says the eyes have to "see" each other, well, no paintballs in there so I would think they see each other.

Do I need to send it back, or something else? Like I said, it's brand new, never been shot. I'm waiting on the qloader to arrive before I take it out for play.

Hossy
05-13-2008, 04:36 AM
yes because what the eyes detect if a ball is there, to prevent chopping. If there is no ball there, the gun wont fire because there is no ball there to hit. If there was a ball there, the gun would shoot. The eyes are a great asset to the gun.

Welcome to the Forums! Check out the Ultimate Resource Thread in my sig if. It has alot of info that you should check out.

bigred76
05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm going to break it down to you like I did my GF last night.... She asked the same question, not THAT you dirty minded fools! :tongue:

Basically eyes are two parts: an emitter, and a receiver. The emitter merely sends out an infrared beam across the breach towards the receiver. The receiver merely has to get some of that infrared signal to know that there isn't anything in the space between them (in the breech, that is). When a ball falls down into the breech and breaks the infrared beam, and the receiver cannot "see" it anymore, then the breech is read as having something inside of it. This is in the case of the style of eyes that Spyder had installed, which is the industry standard for eyes and is called "break-beam eyes."

There is another kind of eye system (note the singular!) that is called "bounce-beam." This system utilizes only one emitter/receiver piece, and does both parts of the job. It works by first sending an infrared signal out, and if it bounces off a paintball and the receiver portion of the eye sees it, then the breech is read as loaded. If it does not, and the beam bounces off somewhere else, the receiver doesn't even see the beam. In that case, the breech is read as empty. That kind of system is really only used on SFT Shockers, Impulses, and some home made eye modification Spyders. You won't find those very much anymore!

With eyes on, you should be able to cock the marker, stick your finger in the feedneck, and have the bolt come forward.... Be advised, it'll hurt like HELL if your finger's still in there, so hold the bolt back, or take it out altogether. If that works, I wouldn't see why you would need to send Spyder a perfectly operating marker. :)

XSiv Force
05-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Bigred you make me smile........but its exactly as they said

grim
05-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys.

Sorry for the dumb question, but just had to ask.

bigred76
05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
No worries. ;) Everyone had a question like this at one point or another! :)

BackAlleyPb
07-22-2008, 10:53 AM
EYE's is made for anti chopp. If the ball is not in the breakbeam eyes sight, it will not fire to prevent chopping. This will only work f the gun is cocked and is on (o) Semi-