PDA

View Full Version : high pressure or low pressure?

x S IP Y ID IE IR
05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
whats better and why?

DFSniper
05-12-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/lp.html

read up. that can explain it better than i can.

VS3_RoCKeR
06-24-2008, 02:27 PM
that link pretty much sums it up, if your getting a vs2 i would recommend low pressure, a bit more gas efficient and easier on your internals

DisIsMyUsername
06-24-2008, 02:29 PM
Aren't vs2's stock LP?

but are VS1's?

DFSniper
06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
yes. and no.

russCloak
08-06-2008, 08:06 PM
the link you posted is a 404 error, there's no page there.

I have a 72/30 tank, high pressure. I haven't used it in my gun yet, will it damage it because it's high pressure?!

DirtySouth
08-07-2008, 05:18 AM
No..It won't. Use high pressure on all your guns unless you have an Angel.

MonsterLopes
08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Tank output should be HP (700psi+), the VS2's asa/regulator should reduce that pressure to LP(around 200psi).
The regulator on a VS2 is made to receive HP and flow may be diminished if pressure is insufficient.

So, although your gun runs on LP, its regulator may not.

russCloak
08-07-2008, 10:24 PM
great... thanks for the help

These tanks always scare the crap out of me, that's a lot of pressure your messing with lol...

deano 177
08-10-2008, 05:49 AM
I was in my garage messing with my VS3 today. I had lent it to a friend to try. I had just finished cleaning it and wanted to make sure that it worked. So I threw my high pressure crossfire on, checked the pressure(250ish), and ripped through 1000 psi. No problem.

My roomie has a low pressure crossfire tank for his mini. I threw it on the VS just to see if all the talk about lp vs hp is true. I did have to adjust the pressure back to 250 when I first put the tank on but other than that I didn't have any problem with the bolt cocking. Now, I have the stock trigger, so I can only shoot up to about 13-14 bps with the fingers. So I guess what this boils down to is has anyone with a uncapped board put a lp tank on and let it rock? Cause it looked like to me that it would do fine. My gun is pretty broken in, though, and the internals had just been coated with sl33k.

vikingshadow
08-10-2008, 06:26 AM
No..It won't. Use high pressure on all your guns unless you have an Angel.

Not true. Angels for the past 3-4 years can use high pressure tanks. Also, very few Angels used low pressure tanks, and it was possible to change the orientation of some shims of those Angel's regs to allow for a HP tank.

Also, most of today's guns operate at such a low pressure, it's ok to use either a LP or a HP tank. There are exceptions, of course. In my thinking, it's always better to use a HP tank, but you aren't screwed if you only have a LP tank.

My roomie has a low pressure crossfire tank for his mini. I threw it on the VS just to see if all the talk about lp vs hp is true. I did have to adjust the pressure back to 250 when I first put the tank on but other than that I didn't have any problem with the bolt cocking. Now, I have the stock trigger, so I can only shoot up to about 13-14 bps with the fingers. So I guess what this boils down to is has anyone with a uncapped board put a lp tank on and let it rock? Cause it looked like to me that it would do fine. My gun is pretty broken in, though, and the internals had just been coated with sl33k.

Here's the deal with low pressure tanks. Say you're shooting a gun that requires 850 psi to operate correctly (Most older Spyders, clones, Tippmanns, etc.) Your low pressure tank only has an output of 450 psi. Starting off, you have a deficit of 350 psi. You'll run into leaking issues, decocking issues, velocity inconsistancies, etc. Obviously, you don't want to run an LP tank on a gun like this.

However, say your gun is a LP operating gun - with an operating pressure of about 400 psi. An LP tank will be ok for this gun UNTIL the pressure in the tank gets below 400 psi - which would probably happen faster, and could give you fewer shots and cause problems.

On most of today's guns, there isn't a problem using an LP tank. Their operating pressure is down around 150 - 200 psi so that even when the pressure in the tank falls below the output pressure you still several psi to utilize. An example of this is my Rail. It runs at about 150 psi (or less - I don't have a guage on my gun to determine for sure). I can dang near drain my tank, shooting consistantly at 295 fps, before the seal goes in the gun - which appears to be about 100-200 psi on the tank. With a LP tank and a HP gun, that wouldn't happen. Your Mini operates at a very low pressure, so of course the test you did will show you the results you got. Try it with an old Spyder and see what happens!

IMO, it's still wise to use a HP tank, unless the gun specifies LP which doesn't happen anymore, because it can maintain a higher pressure longer, which essentially gives you more shots that is more consistant.

deano 177
08-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Your Mini operates at a very low pressure, so of course the test you did will show you the results you got. Try it with an old Spyder and see what happens!

I was actually talking about using the LP tank on the VS3, which should run around 250 to 270 psi (as I'm sure you know, just clarifying which marker the test was on:)). The only differance between the two tanks was adjusting the reg a bit to set it to the correct pressure. I actually run a HP tank on my mini. Not that I want or need it but that is what I got!:p

IMO, it's still wise to use a HP tank, unless the gun specifies LP which doesn't happen anymore, because it can maintain a higher pressure longer, which essentially gives you more shots that is more consistant.
I agree. Also another factor that I have looked at is that if I switch markers I want to have a tank that can be used on more than just one type of marker. As vike said... Tippmanns and other high psi blowbacks wouldn't work very will with a LP tank.