PDA

View Full Version : advice on new camera

kramernator
05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
i want to buy a digital camera, but i don't know where to start. does anyone know some good brands, or certain models i should take a look at?

i want a fairly nice camera, so i think the price range will be about 150-200, right?

druid
05-11-2008, 07:47 PM
I like my Kodak EasyShare M753. Up to 7.0 MP and takes short vids with sound too. Think I paid $150 for it with an extra gig card...

xsvly-fat
05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
My sister just bought some kind of Kodak, it was on sale for like $100 and it's actually a pretty nice camera.

jkersh
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
I hate kodaks but that is my opinion. I would try to find a Nikon or a Canon. I have had good luck with the Canon Powershot series. You can also do a firmware upgrade (http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware) to these and make them a cheap powerhouse.

spray and pray
05-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Get a sony dsc h5. I have it and it;s great. Might be a little bit our of your price range though.

bigred76
05-12-2008, 11:47 AM
My Kodak MD853 was purchased at Target on sale for $100, and I picked up a couple 2gig SD cards for it at Fry's for $14/pop. Works well for me, but it's a point and shoot style camera like most of the price range it's in, which lacks adjustments I wish I had. The automatic adjustments are decent enough, and it has a bunch of features that I use regularly. It also comes with it's own program for your computer, which I dislike for anything other than transferring pictures onto my computer (via the included USB cable, which doubles as a charger when not transferring pix) and previewing pictures. The camera also has a video feature, which is decent, but its quality is less than desirable for paintball purposes. Here's a link to a video (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bigred76/Cyborg/?action=view&current=Cyborg_0001.flv) I shot with the camera.

For samples of what an average consumer can do with this camera, check out my Photobucket's Cruise album (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bigred76/Cruise/) from when I took it down to the Caribbean. The links on the left side will take you to more pictures, as they're sorted out by place to place.

colonel_moo
05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
For your price range, the canon powershot series is probably your best bet.

Critical
05-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I got my wife one of the Canon camera's. It's very good for the price, excellent picture, plenty of features, very easy to use, and it's small enough it's not cumbersome to carry around, yet big enough you can hold it easily.

Kingman-Rep
05-12-2008, 01:35 PM
canon sd750 is awesome. circuit city.com has them for 179.

kramernator
05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
ok, ok, i am maybe thinking canon, although bigreds kodak seems to take nice pics for the price, ill think on it. thanks to everyone who posted, feel free to keep posting, sample pics are very useful (thanks bigred).

HelpDeskHustler
05-12-2008, 06:56 PM
NOT HP. That's my only opinion. Canon, Nikon, Kodak, maybe even Olympus would be pretty good. All I know is HP cameras suck compared to some low end canon's

bigred76
05-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Heh.... ;) Best advice I've ever heard for any camera: buy a tripod. The steadiness from it results in excellent pictures; all you need after that is a bit of creativity. My brother picked me up a tripod for $30 from the local camera shop, and it's done me good since Christmas.

I re-read my post and realized how derogatory I was towards my camera. Really, it isn't that bad for what it is. Compared to a Digital SLR (got to "play" with one today... OMFG!), it isn't that great as far as manual settings go, but for the price, it can't really be beat. In total, my camera set up would probably cost someone $175 to duplicate: two 2gig cards, a portable charger (works with the USB cable when I don't have my laptop and plugs into the wall), the tripod, and my camera itself. It only needs a charge after every 400 pictures or so, too. That includes time just sitting there and taking videos. I turned out this pic with it (edited due to ****ty lighting -- my fault, not the camera's -- and messing with transparencies):

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/bigred76/Cyborg/CyborgDisplay04-2.jpg

Not so bad, eh? ;)