PDA

View Full Version : my dilemma

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 04:56 PM
so for those of you who don't know, i'm a first year college student working for almost minimum wage, meaning i have very little money to spend on paintball. a few days ago i decided to build a budget timmy off of a GZ body (haven't bought it yet.) i was thinking about the total cost, and realized that i may be better off financially if i just bought a used timmy for under $200 or possibly a 2k5 for under $250.

what do you guys think i should do?

Hossy
05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
just buy a timmy
they are cheaper, and you can stay on your studies and work and not worry about certain parts to come in and stuff, as well as working on it.

vikingshadow
05-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Like I mentioned on PBN, it's not about the gun or the cost. It's the building that makes it special. If you REALLY want to make a spimmy and it takes you 5 years, then so be it. In the end, it's all yours and not someone elses junk you just happened to buy, just to strip the parts off and bolt onto a spyder body.

However, if you need a gun desperately and soon, then I'd go with a Timmy.

Edit - do you really spend that much time thinking about your belly button? :devil:

second edit - someone's going to wonder what the heck I'm talking about....

Hoppy11
05-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Honestly I would save some money. Getting new markers is sweet I know, even after the one time I played this year I was like man I need to get back into this because it is so awesome and addicting but after two years of college I gotta say just save some money. I have run into so many binds where I have to call my parents and just flat out ask for some money because I have to eat/put gas in my car and I am that broke.

I also always try to have at least 500 in my savings account because I know if it really comes down to it I know I have that there but I try not to touch it.. actually I went most of this year with my savings at or above a grand. I would suggest trying to do something like that.

So I am defiantly saying save yourself whatever money you can.

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 05:04 PM
i have 3 working guns right now, so i doubt i'll NEED a gun anytime soon :D

i keep thinking about it, and i kind of want to go the classic route (GZ body, 2k2 clamshell, dualies, etc). i've been searching IO's b/s/t looking for deals and trying to come up with a grand total.

edit: hoppy, i still have my entire student loan from this year ($3,500) for emergencies, so i'm not too worried about that, but thanks for the advice.

oldironmudder
05-11-2008, 05:21 PM
When I went off to college, I took my TL+, tools, & classic frame with the idea Im gonna build a sweet classic timmy over the next year (one year diesel college). Within two months or so I found out it would be harder than I thought. Little funds, the studies & the after hours fun proved to take alot more of my time & money than I thought.

In the end I just built a solid blowback and blew than money on other stuff, many are to stupid or just bad to name.

Well, I some how forgot what I was really gonna say so..............

Vike does have a good point, if you build it, it will be yours & not just a cheap marker you picked up.

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 05:29 PM
well, this will be a summer project, so i'll be trying to pull about 40 hours a week starting next week, which should give me about $800 a month. what concerns me is not knowing how much financial aid will cover next year, because last year my dad's pay was tax free (he was in iraq for 14 months) so i got everything paid for because our family had $0 taxable income.

Hoppy11
05-11-2008, 05:31 PM
edit: hoppy, i still have my entire student loan from this year ($3,500) for emergencies, so i'm not too worried about that, but thanks for the advice.

You only have to take out a loan for 3500?!?!?! Damn... wish I could go to your college, I could pay for that out of my pocket easily.

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 05:37 PM
lol. $119 a credit for in-state. i spent about $1600 first semester and $1900 second semester, not including books. D paid like $800 per semster! community college FTW!

irishwarrior
05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Like I mentioned on PBN, it's not about the gun or the cost. It's the building that makes it special. If you REALLY want to make a spimmy and it takes you 5 years, then so be it. In the end, it's all yours and not someone elses junk you just happened to buy, just to strip the parts off and bolt onto a spyder body.

However, if you need a gun desperately and soon, then I'd go with a Timmy.

Edit - do you really spend that much time thinking about your belly button? :devil:

second edit - someone's going to wonder what the heck I'm talking about....

What are you talking about?

I would save and that way if you see something that catches your eye and you want that more, you have the cash to get it.

XSiv Force
05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
i feel ya i think mine is 130/hour
im all for getting more guns, but since you all ready have a couple what is the sence in doing it i would save you money for a "rainy day" which is what i did. i put 5 dollars in a little jar at the end of each week and the other day i think i have enough to buy a good elec gun and a good hopper so my vote should be not hard to figure out

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 06:26 PM
hmm, well, my parts list is over $300 now. half of it is just small parts (under $15.) i may be better off getting something like this (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=47354975#post47354975) and throwing some new parts on it.

Hossy
05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
I dont really like that, but whatever floats your boat.

buy a beatup timmy that has all the parts that you need for basics, and then get a new body or something.

HelpDeskHustler
05-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Buy a blue 08 timmy.

Hossy
05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Buy a blue 08 timmy.

are you talking about one of those gay gen5 joints?
maybe the vice, but not the protege. But the vice is very expensive :p

battlechaser
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
so for those of you who don't know, i'm a first year college student working for almost minimum wage, meaning i have very little money to spend on paintball. a few days ago i decided to build a budget timmy off of a GZ body (haven't bought it yet.) i was thinking about the total cost, and realized that i may be better off financially if i just bought a used timmy for under $200 or possibly a 2k5 for under $250.

what do you guys think i should do?

I think <GOD> on PBN has a couple Timmy's he's looking to part with, maybe hit him up... or there's always PBG's Species in BST! :D

DFSniper
05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
i'm looking at 2 sub-$200 timmies right now, that bronze 2k2 and an orange ECX. i dont want to spend any more than that on a new gun. i'm getting that GZ body for free now because i'm helping the kid out, so i may just build that up over time. i've decided to finish my spyder first before i start another project. and tim is hooking me up with a zip kit for my imagine, so it won't be a POS loaner anymore.

Ace24
05-12-2008, 09:37 PM
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2638780

There's a Timmy to get you started. $175 with a 2k5 frame and a sidewinder.

...and that Zip Kit was mine hahaha.

DFSniper
05-13-2008, 05:30 AM
oooh, thanks. i've been searching PBN, but then my wireless died and i couldnt remember what page i was on :(

i know, i was asking you about that kit, remember?

either way, i'll have to get an HPA tank. i wanted to get a cheap $50 tank, but i need something big because its a good 3 minute walk uphill from the field to the counter...

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
another question. whats the average resale value on a mini? its one of the few high end guns i shot and i really liked it. the trigger pull in particular. how does it compare to an alias/2k5 timmy? because i know tim swears by his alias almost as much as his borg...

HelpDeskHustler
05-14-2008, 04:06 PM
resale on a mini is no more than 250 IMO.

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 04:13 PM
ok, thats what i thought. and that seems about average for a 2k5'd timmy, right?

bigred76
05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Right, or maybe a bit more. The prices are really dropping for Alias's.... :( I bought mine for $325 and everyone and I at the time thought it was a steal! Not anymore, you can get them from $200-275 on average. There are some misguided people still trying to eek more out of their guns, but resale has hit the ****ter for them finally.

DFSniper
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
yeah. i really like that 2k5 framed one ted linked. but is that just the frame or would the whole gun have to be 2k5'd?

Ace24
05-14-2008, 10:08 PM
? it'll work just fine like that. What do you mean?

DFSniper
05-15-2008, 04:17 AM
is it just a 2k5 shell, or all the internals 2k5'd too?

Ace24
05-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Well, it had a Virtue board... but he sold that. now he's got the 2k5 board in it.

Might have 2k5'd internals. Ask.

DFSniper
05-16-2008, 09:25 AM
he said its just a 2k5 frame. man, i really want to find out what my new schedule will be like so i can start estimating how much i'll be able to spend on paintball.