PDA

View Full Version : My EBay winning!!

druid
05-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, I sat on this for 2 days and won it at $28.30, insured and shipped to my door USPS Priority Mail!

I'll be sure to get tons of pics when it gets here, as I have to send out a MO to CT.

Obviously it's a repro, having a "cast" handle and all but still...it's better than the one I made myself out of 1/4" x 2" Tool grade steel.
The stone 'looks' like Garnet...which happens to be my Birthstone :D...

Here are pics in case you can't see it....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Dirk1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Dirk.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Dirk2.jpg

Whatchya think for under $30?

irishwarrior
05-11-2008, 05:37 AM
Beautiful!

DirtySouth
05-11-2008, 05:41 AM
It's a small sword?

irishwarrior
05-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Appears to be a replica gladius.

mr1 sniper
05-11-2008, 07:56 AM
looks nice. and i guess it was a good ebay day for both of us because i just won a spyder classic w/ revvy yesterday

Sandman_Bravo
05-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Congrats! I collect knives myself, and thought I'd share a site with you;
http://www.coldsteel.com/swords.html
They make top notch quality knives & swords. There is a Dirk and a Broadsword. try not to drool all over the keyboard-lol!

Ace24
05-11-2008, 08:25 AM
...why do you have to keep giving us reasons to fear you?

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 11:10 AM
because a name like paul isn't very scary...

:dodgy:?

STRIKEFIRST
05-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Good Find

Ace24
05-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Paul is a serial killer name... :dodgy:

Who are you kidding? lol.

xsgmike66x
05-11-2008, 12:57 PM
cool letter opener...

druid
05-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Appears to be a replica gladius.
um...uh...for an "irish warrior" you sure don't know the differenct between Roman and Celtic fighting weapons.......:D .....LOL!
looks nice. and i guess it was a good ebay day for both of us because i just won a spyder classic w/ revvy yesterday
thanks and :tup:
Congrats! I collect knives myself, and thought I'd share a site with you;
http://www.coldsteel.com/swords.html
They make top notch quality knives & swords. There is a Dirk and a Broadsword. try not to drool all over the keyboard-lol!
I'm already aware of Cold Steel and have been a big fan longer than some of our forumers have been playing paintball. LOL...the SRK is one of my faves, as well as the TiLite.
...why do you have to keep giving us reasons to fear you?
.......because I can? LOL!
because a name like paul isn't very scary...

:dodgy:?
but my size, demeanor and "hunter" skills are....:D
Paul is a serial killer name...

Who are you kidding? lol.
Well, if it makes you two feel better...I go by my 3 names (first, middle, last) with a Roman Numeral suffix of being the third with that name..."III"

No, this isn't a Roman Gladius.......(-.-)........

This is a Scottish Dirk, a replica of what might have been commonly seen between BCE 4000 and AD 1780 ~ish. The age of the fighting Dirk dates back to about ~4000 BCE and have changed configurations over the centuries. This one is a fine example of an enlarged Bullock Dagger but with the Bollocks removed from the hilt from about ~1700 AD.
The "V" shape of the blade represents the "male masculine" (as described in the movie "The Da vinci Code." Generally speaking, these were made from broken sword blades and were adorned with handles ranging from Blackthorn to curly Maple. Many of the early representations were adorned with Zoomorphic pictures, others with Celtic Knot work and stones. In truth, each weapon was a unique creation of it's maker so it held it's 'general' appearance but could drastically differ from others of the same age, from the same region.

The manner in which this was deployed was that it was held in the same [weak] hand as the Targe (round shield) with the tip pointed down. The warrior would block with the Targe by swinging up and away, then stab with the down stroke. All the while, the strong hand would wield the Great sword (now inappropriately called a Claymore), axe, spiked hammer or other major fighting weapon.

The Pommel's design was to prevent dropping the Dirk when the opponent struck the Targe.

There...now you got a History lesson on a Sunday......lol.

Ace24
05-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry Paul ____ ____ III.

So, you wanted that dirk in order to stab people when they piss you off in paintball? Holding it under your riot shield? Serial killer? o.0

OSOK
05-11-2008, 01:48 PM
It is going to be in one of his pods, so it is stealthy when he pulls it out,

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 01:59 PM
he keeps it in his offhand so when he bunkers someone he can knife them when he's too close to bonusball 'em :P

irishwarrior
05-11-2008, 02:06 PM
No, he hides it under his kilt, lol.

PS: I figured it was Celtic (based on the other things in your possession ex. kilt), I just didn't know the proper name for it.

HelpDeskHustler
05-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Click the right thumbstick when you bunker somebody.

And you're weird. I won't lie. At least you aren't Japanese, I'd imagine explaining a full set of samurai armor and katanas might be more difficult than some leather and kilts.

Also on the topic of insanity and serial killer likeness, the purple Hershey's kisses definitely make that a bit more eerie. A small child's bike with tassels might have been weirder though.

battlechaser
05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
And you're weird. I won't lie. At least you aren't Japanese, I'd imagine explaining a full set of samurai armor and katanas might be more difficult than some leather and kilts.

Though, one of the samurai fighting masks might double for a PB mask.. ;)

Very nice Dirk, nothing like buying shiny/pointy things off the internet to soothe the male soul. Even if it is a fake it at least looks real, my Scotish/Irish/Italian(WTF?) friend's looks like a butter knife with a plastic handle. Not what you'd call intimidating in the least.

I still wouldn't mind getting myself some of the Celtic garb, might go well with my oddly red beard.

battlechaser
05-11-2008, 03:55 PM

PS: I figured it was Celtic (based on the other things in your possession ex. kilt), I just didn't know the proper name for it.

I thought dirks where traditionally attached to the leggings?

druid
05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Sorry Paul ____ ____ III.

So, you wanted that dirk in order to stab people when they piss you off in paintball? Holding it under your riot shield? Serial killer? o.0
LOL!!! I'll make a Celtic Targe that says "REF" accross it and I can use this to "open" a debate on the finer "points" of cheating :D
It is going to be in one of his pods, so it is stealthy when he pulls it out,
~13" blade and 6" handle...it wouldn't even fit in a QPod......lol. ALTHOGH...that pinochio hopper........HRMM........!!
he keeps it in his offhand so when he bunkers someone he can knife them when he's too close to bonusball 'em :P
Think of it more like...a kind-of Celtic Barrel Tag :medieval: .....heehee...

I've already got my Greatsword under my Kilt, so there's very little room as it is :p
Click the right thumbstick when you bunker somebody.

1. And you're weird. I won't lie.
2. At least you aren't Japanese, I'd imagine explaining a full set of samurai armor and katanas might be more difficult than some leather and kilts.

Also on the topic of insanity and serial killer likeness, the purple Hershey's kisses definitely make that a bit more eerie. A small child's bike with tassels might have been weirder though.
1. LOL...I've been called worse and by my own daughters.
2. Not really, especially if you are celebrating your heritage. Why would it be odd for a Japanese to celebrate an Ancestral tie to the Samurai? They were very honorable indeed. I'd agree that a Scot shouldn't...which is why I don't....lol.
1. Though, one of the samurai fighting masks might double for a PB mask..

2. Very nice Dirk, nothing like buying shiny/pointy things off the internet to soothe the male soul. Even if it is a fake it at least looks real, my Scotish/Irish/Italian(WTF?) friend's looks like a butter knife with a plastic handle. Not what you'd call intimidating in the least.

3. I still wouldn't mind getting myself some of the Celtic garb, might go well with my oddly red beard.
1. That would indeed be unique...lol.
2. Thanks. I feel the same way. Get me a pic of of it, I'm curious as to what you are trying to describe.
3. There's nothing wrong with that either. Scots have Clans with specific Tartans and Crests. Irish have Clans but no Tartans...however they wear a "safron" Kilt and have Family Crests.
I thought dirks where traditionally attached to the leggings?

Nope. Dirks are short swords worn on the belt. You are thinking of a "Sgian Dhu", which in Gaelic means "black knife." Originally hidden in the GreatKilt somewhere around the waist, on under a breast of a Tunic, the wearer would display the Sgian in their leggings to show a host that they mean no malice towards them.

HelpDeskHustler
05-11-2008, 05:59 PM
I figured it would be hard to explain it when you went to buy the metal from a scrap yard. I'd assume they don't often hear the word "shogun" at a scrap yard, just like they probably no longer hear the word "greaves" at a leather store :dodgy:

I'm mostly German, I don't know much about heritage except for eating foods that are terrible for your heart. Oh that and denying history.

DFSniper
05-11-2008, 06:05 PM
German Tour Guide: You vill find more on Germany's contributions to ze arts in ze pamphlets ve have provided.
Brian Griffin: Yeah, about your pamphlet... uh, I'm not seeing anything about German history between 1939 and 1945. There's just a big gap.
Tour guide: Everyone vas on vacation. On your left is Munich's first city hall, erected in 15...
Brian Griffin: Wait, what are you talking about? Germany invaded Poland in 1939 and...
Tour Guide: We were invited. Punch vas served. Check vit Poland.
Brian Griffin: You can't just ignore those years. Thomas Mann fled to America because of Nazism's stranglehold on Germany.
Tour guide: Nope, nope. He left to manage a Dairy Queen.
Brian Griffin: A Dairy Queen? That's preposterous.
Tour guide: I vill hear no more insinuations about the German people. Nothing bad happened. Sie werden sich hinsetzen. Sie werden ruhig sein. Sie werden nicht beleidigen Deutschland. (You will sit down. You will shut up. You will not insult Germany.)
[throws his hand up in a Hitler salute]

lol. for some reason i just can't imagine claus in lederhosen. which are very uncomfortable, i may add...

HelpDeskHustler
05-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Bleh. Did you just quote family guy? A new low this forum has reached.

TheDarkShadow
05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
sweet

QFT HDH, Family guy FTW

HelpDeskHustler
05-11-2008, 06:30 PM
No I was saying that I hate family guy. But that's beside the point. The point is that Druid is a serial killer, but since serial killers are always said to be ordinary people, the fact that we think he is means he actually isn't, but as soon as we realize that he can't be a serial killer, he becomes one again. It's a paradox we can't avoid.

druid
05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
No I was saying that I hate family guy. But that's beside the point. The point is that Druid is a serial killer, but since serial killers are always said to be ordinary people, the fact that we think he is means he actually isn't, but as soon as we realize that he can't be a serial killer, he becomes one again. It's a paradox we can't avoid.

nor should be attempted to solve. It's just easier to find the finite solution to Pi :D

Ace24
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
LOL!!! I'll make a Celtic Targe that says "REF" accross it and I can use this to "open" a debate on the finer "points" of cheating :D

I KNEW IT!! You thrive on killing!!! SERIAL KILLER!!! :poker:

bigred76
05-11-2008, 10:28 PM
I wanted to say somethin', but I'm honestly speechless.... I'm just gonna walk away and pretend I never saw this thread.

druid
05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
I wanted to say somethin', but I'm honestly speechless.... I'm just gonna walk away and pretend I never saw this thread.

Chicken.......;)

bigred76
05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Nah, just wise enough to know when to not bother. ;)

druid
05-12-2008, 01:42 AM
...and yet you post not once...twice :D :D

HelpDeskHustler
05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
nor should be attempted to solve. It's just easier to find the finite solution to Pi :D

The definite solution to pi is the circumference of a circle divided by it's diameter.

irishwarrior
05-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I think all this makes him the guy I want guarding the prisons.

bigred76
05-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Not definite... finite. You can't shorten Pi easily. What is taught in school (Pi ~ 3.14 or whatever bull **** it is) is merely a half-assed attempt at making it possible for students to grasp the concept of it. The decimal extends infinitely in reality. You should know this, I don't know why you're bothering, Claus. :rolleyes:

TheDarkShadow
05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Not definite... finite. You can't shorten Pi easily. What is taught in school (Pi ~ 3.14 or whatever bull **** it is) is merely a half-assed attempt at making it possible for students to grasp the concept of it. The decimal extends infinitely in reality. You should know this, I don't know why you're bothering, Claus. :rolleyes:

My math teacher actually has a poster that has pi as a decimal, all the way through, it is a ton of numbers.

DFSniper
05-12-2008, 04:01 PM
not EVERY number since Pi is infinite
The definite solution to pi is the circumference of a circle divided by it's diameter.

22/7. no rounding required. :p

HelpDeskHustler
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
If you are unable to contain a constant which is based on a ratio to it's most accurate extent within the numerals you use, then maybe you're using the wrong numerals. PI is exactly the circumference's ratio to the diameter in a normal circle. I can't write it precisely simplified, so instead I'll just describe it as a formula, which is as simplified as definite accuracy will become. Since I haven't entered any measurements into the formula, it isn't finite. Also 22/7 is horribly wrong, since 7 * an approximation of pi to the 10th place will get you 21.991148..., and would approximate pi to 3.1428571428571428571428571428571 rather than 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 which is over 2 thousandths off.

irishwarrior
05-12-2008, 06:52 PM
^:jawdrop: bigred just got :pwnd:

druid
05-12-2008, 09:11 PM
good God...

Anyone remember what this thread is originally about?

Ace24
05-13-2008, 12:35 AM
I've already got my Greatsword under my Kilt, so there's very little room as it is :p

LOL! TMI...

For that, you shall be shot in the "greatsword." No more stabbing for you for a while.

:p
:butwiggle:

DFSniper
05-13-2008, 05:27 AM
good God...

Anyone remember what this thread is originally about?

you being a cereal killer?
http://www.darklands.no/slogan_men/cerealkillerMST.jpg

druid
05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
you should see what I did to Count Chocula :dodgy:

HelpDeskHustler
05-14-2008, 03:42 AM
you made count chocula unpopular with the kids?

Ace24
05-14-2008, 08:49 PM
It's because some little kids saw him buying the cereal and they **** themselves, dropping the sales of the cereal significantly.

druid
05-15-2008, 09:41 PM
something like that :D