PDA

View Full Version : My Website

irishwarrior
05-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Hey guys, just finished sorting out the bugs for my website (http://irishwarriorking.com/Index.htm). It's fairly simple but it was written using only HTML and I just started learning HTML yesterday. Let me know what you guys think!

slim and shady
05-10-2008, 07:20 AM
Dont know if anyone else is having this problem but the links on your page wont open for me.

irishwarrior
05-10-2008, 07:29 AM
That's odd. What browser are you running? I opened it up in Safari (my computer) and IE (mom's computer) without issues.

SpyderMan723
05-10-2008, 07:33 AM
lol you are such a.... weirdo. lol ive seen all of those and they all scared the **** out of me equally.

HelpDeskHustler
05-10-2008, 07:51 AM
It's not bad for a beginner. It's still not a good sitel, compared to everything out there, but it's good to take steps. A good webpage requires a few basic things: content, function and style. You don't have a lot of content which is why it is so easy to make it functional, but as you add content, making navigation and links work will be harder and much more complicated. Since it's very 1990's single color, no font styles it's not very nice to look at. HTML is very difficult to be really good at using though, since each browser has it's own required finesse.

I hope these criticism help, I don't mean to be bashing your website, as it's much better than what I could do on day 1 of HTML. I'm just trying to help you know what's expected by people on the internet and how you can adapt to that. I'd recommend learning CSS as soon as you master the absolute basics of HTML.

DFSniper
05-10-2008, 07:56 AM
i wish i still had some of my coding from my web design class. stupid HDD crash :(

Ace24
05-10-2008, 08:21 AM
...why am I listening to "Oops I did it again?"

On a side note... anyone ever notice how irritating Brittney Spears voice is? She has a cackle... *twitch* makes me *twitch* every time I hear it.... *twitch*

irishwarrior
05-10-2008, 08:22 AM
It's not bad for a beginner. It's still not a good sitel, compared to everything out there, but it's good to take steps. A good webpage requires a few basic things: content, function and style. You don't have a lot of content which is why it is so easy to make it functional, but as you add content, making navigation and links work will be harder and much more complicated. Since it's very 1990's single color, no font styles it's not very nice to look at. HTML is very difficult to be really good at using though, since each browser has it's own required finesse.

I hope these criticism help, I don't mean to be bashing your website, as it's much better than what I could do on day 1 of HTML. I'm just trying to help you know what's expected by people on the internet and how you can adapt to that. I'd recommend learning CSS as soon as you master the absolute basics of HTML.

Criticize away! That's the only way to help get better! I agree with you about the content being absent and the lack of style. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to make it about. I plan on experimenting more with fonts and such in the future, I just wanted to make a very basic web page and have it work. It took awhile for me to get all the links to work. I guess CSS is my next step.

...why am I listening to "Oops I did it again?"

lol, recall you clicked on a link that said The Barren Wasteland of Hell Itself.

HelpDeskHustler
05-10-2008, 11:02 AM
You might want to try taking the next step and aligning the text. Central alignment is annoying to read, but having text start on the far left is terrible practice in websites because that would denote that you intend to use full page text. Figure out a way to move the start of the text to about 1/4 of the page right of far left without making the text central alignment.

I'll give you a hint. <td> and CSS/<div> are the 2 most prominant ways to do this, although I can think of 3-4 ways to do it.

OSOK
05-10-2008, 11:05 AM
As mentioned, the biggest problem I run into is getting websites to work correctly in the browsers. IE is really stupid about HTML and makes it more complicated. If you use CSS it can make it a lot easier.

irishwarrior
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM
^OK thanks guys! I'll give it a try in the near future.

LostCause
05-10-2008, 11:29 AM
i loled at this video, i vote this on your website!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-9FZbFNJxBM&feature=related

irishwarrior
05-10-2008, 12:11 PM
^lmao!!

battlechaser
05-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I clicked all three...

Stupid Zombie video, you always know it's going to pop up, even when... but it still gets you every time...

Now to watch 30 Days Of Night... ;)

irishwarrior
05-10-2008, 05:52 PM
I feel the same way about that vid. It gets me every time because I focus on the car and music.

battlechaser
05-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Dammit... I watched LostCause's vid and somehow got sucked into watching Runescape remakes of the Sparta Techno video...... *shudder*

LostCause
05-10-2008, 08:50 PM
:D mooohahaha