PDA

View Full Version : plexiglass box??

DFSniper
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
ok, for my helmet cam, ted suggested making a box for it. i found some decently priced duraplex ("100x stronger than glass") at lowes, but i have no idea how to go about with building it. since its small, i looked at the .8 (mm i think) thickness, but i have no idea how to turn that into a box.

XSiv Force
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
there is is a certain type of chemical that sort of melts the pieces together. it should bew fopund in the same spot as the plexi

slim and shady
05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
or clear silicon the edges

XSiv Force
05-05-2008, 07:49 PM
same thing...mister specific :dodgy:

slim and shady
05-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Silicon dont melt nothing together, whats specific about that???? :dodgy:

XSiv Force
05-05-2008, 07:56 PM
silicon:dodgy:

Griff
05-05-2008, 10:30 PM
angle brackets and small screws. pre drill a start hole

cyberthrasher_706
05-06-2008, 12:19 AM
a small propane plumber's torch works great for bending it as well. Just remember low heat to bend, and do it slowly. If you want to try "welding" it together, use some higher heat but a gentle flame. Usually that takes some practice but if you give it a try it can come out great. I plastic welded my dashboard together that way, and a radiator before I sold the truck back to the dealer who sold it to me. Radiator housing broke and cracked my head, he didn't know when he bought it back. that's what he gets for trying to rip me off.

druid
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
take apart a USPS mailing box (by cutting the glue) and see how the design turns it into a box.

Take the dimensions of your camera and change the cardboard box to what you need to fit it but make the final "flaps" big enough to overlap each other's edge.

Using the dimensions needed for your particular camera, resape that cardboard box back into a box. Lay the plexi on the box and use a heat gun (strips house-paint) to melt the plexi into the shape of the box. Overlapping the edges will help keep the seams covered but youneed to leave one "end" open so you can get the camera in and out. Figure on leaving the "back" open because you want the lens protected.

DFSniper
05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
thanks druid. didnt think about just making a 3d box out of one piece.

cyberthrasher_706
05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Lay the plexi on the box and use a heat gun (strips house-paint) to melt the plexi into the shape of the box. Overlapping the edges will help keep the seams covered but youneed to leave one "end" open so you can get the camera in and out. Figure on leaving the "back" open because you want the lens protected.
yeah, that's what I was trying to say. It's amazing how dumb I sound with no sleep. small plumbers torches are more common though, that's why I never even thought of a heat gun. I'll add that to my list of most needed modification tools.