PDA

View Full Version : Picking a marker, RS vs VS?

EyeMaster
05-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Hi all, I'm a noob at Paintballing. I went twice last year and vowed to buy my own equipment this year, so here I am. However, I got no idea how to pick something. I read the FAQ on barrels, markers and such, but how to start?

How do you pick a gun? In the computer world, it's easy, you just look at reviews and pick the components that give you better fps (frames per second) in your favorite games, but with paintball markers, it's more obscure! So, here I am, asking the experienced people for help.

I plan on doing more scenario than speedball. It's like the war games we used to play in the woods as a kid. The 2 brands that keep being mentioned is Tippmann and Spyders. At the events I went to, they were renting out Tippmann Custom 98's. I wasn't impressed, then tried an ION from a friend, and wow, a good gun is really worth it. Since Tipp and Spyder are the 2 ones I consider, I chose to go with a Spyder.

Now, I'm looking for a good all around gun that's good from the get-go. Of course, maybe I'll modify it later, but for now, need a good gun. I've narrowed it to either a Spyder (RS or RSX), or the (VS2 or VS3). What's the real difference between those guns? Am I going in the wrong direction with those guns?

The money is not the issue, although I don't want to pay an arm and a leg. I hate chopped balls or a gun that doesn't fire. Facilities use compressed air, but I'd like to be able to go buy the little cartridges of CO2 for fun in a private yard or testing / tuning / practice.

Are my choices good? RS and VS series? Maybe I should go to another brand? (blasphemy on a spyder forum! lol)

What do you guys suggest? And if I chose one of those series, any mods that are a must?

How many balls can you shoot before you have to change parts because they are used? 40000?

I appreciate your help guys. I am waiting for input, my 1st choice so far is the RS. Thanks!

OSOK
05-02-2008, 03:09 PM
The VS2, and VS3 are HPA only. So if you cant get an HPA tank and HPA then you have to go with the RS or RSX. The RSX only runs on compressed air while the RS runs on Co2 or Compressed Air. There are some big differences in the guns that I do not know but I just got my RS and I love it. I only play woodsball which is scenario and I have not yet tried it. The RS has not chopped yet but I have only shot 500 paintballs out of it. You need to buy a good hopper that can feed 20+bps if you are going to fire at that speed. I would suggest buying the Empire B just because it is the one I got and the one I like.

If you need reviews on stuff go to PB Review (http://www.pbreview.com)

snoopdogg
05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
yea if you can get hpa then go with a vs2 if not or just wanna use co2 instead go with rs because there pretty nice from what i been hearing

OSOK
05-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Forgot to mention that if you can get compressed air only I would go with the RSX. I only got the RS because of the fact I sometimes get Co2. The RSX comes with a tadao board and a saber trigger o also you get a 14 inch barrel.

If you get the RS later on you will want to upgrade the following most likely.
-Feed Neck
-Barrel to a 14inch
-A new Board

The gun shoots fine out of the box, the only problem I ran into was a little leaking.

Prikasky
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
if your gonna do more woodsball than why dont you get an MR series gun? they are built tough as nails.

irishwarrior
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Think about getting an MR2 w/eyes/MR3, upgrade the board if you want high bps, get HPA, clamping feedneck, Halo B w/rip, and a new barrel (J&Js are supposed to be good).

EyeMaster
05-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Thought of the MR, but didn't really like the looks and deals. Are the MR basically the same technology in a different packaging?

And what's HPA? High Pressure Air?

irishwarrior
05-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Well, technically all stacked-tube blowback markers are the same basic technology. But, the base platform is changed in significant ways i.e. eyes, trigger frames, etc. And yes HPA is compressed air.

Griff
05-02-2008, 07:56 PM
RSX all ready has Many uppgrades that I have done to my VS2. I have heard it referd to as the Best spyder ever. But like the VS2 or 3 compressed air is req.

mr1 sniper
05-02-2008, 08:03 PM
have you considered the new electra or pilot?

king-man
05-03-2008, 08:36 AM
The VS/RS are lp, the MR's are High Pressure, i would recommend an electra even though its not in the choice, its lp, light, runs on co2, which in the woods i would use because a 20oz is lighter and can get more shots in while kept warm. the elcectra is gonna be perfect for both woodsball and speedball because it will still be a closed design(no halfbacked) and have the modes of an upgraded speedball gun.
Heres the Way id go
1. Electra
2. RS
3. RSX
4. VS2
5. VS3
6. MR2 w/EYE
7. MR3
8. Pilot

EyeMaster
05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Well, I didn't consider the Electra because I couldn't see what the difference was. I ordered the RS. I'm excited to see how it works! Can't wait to get it now and have a look over it and try it out!