PDA

View Full Version : Need VS3 Help

desonos
05-02-2008, 05:21 AM
This might be a little long, but I'm going to explain my situation as fully as possible so that you guys can offer your best advice ^_^

I have a VS3, which I have modified a bit; I've added a CP dropforward, a new clamping feedneck (brand escapes me at the time), and I've cut the barrel shroud down so that I can fit the J&J Edge Elite kit I bought (very nice barrel by kit by the way). I have a CrossFire HP 48ci/4500PSI HPA tank that seems to work well. I haven't kept track very well, but I believe I've put 3-6 cases of paint through the marker so far (probably closer to 6 than to 3).

Until my last two outings the marker has run perfectly - no cocking issues, good gas consumption (with the tank charged around 3000PSI, probably about ~3-5 hoppers before needing a recharge, and I'd still have ~1200PSI at that point). My last two outings were at the outdoor field I normally go to (it is finally open), whereas before that we were playing at a different field indoors. While playing at the indoor field I had no problem running the gun ~ 200PSI and getting the velocity I required (~260).

Since we went outdoors, to a different field, I've had two issues. First, getting the velocity even up to 260 has required jacking the pressure up to ~230PSI to get it to hit 260, and closer to ~250PSI to get it to hit the 280 the outdoor field allows. Coupled with this is a significant increase in gas consumption - I'm lucky to get through 3 hoppers before the gun starts failing to re-cock during rapid fire.

My upkeep on the marker is as follows: After every game (or at least before the next one), I've taken the bolt and striker out, cleaned both, cleaned any obvious dirtyness out of the tubes, oiled the striker o-ring, put the gun back together, and if it was the day before going to play, gassed the gun up and fired it 5-15 times. After the last time I went (the second time I saw the above aberrant behavior) I also took the trigger frame off, disconnected the macroline from the ASA and cleaned that connection (there was paint in the macroline adapter!). I then took the vertical adapter off and cleaned it. Visual examination of the valve led me to believe it was fine; I haven't had any of the symptoms I've read about regarding a leaky cup seal (no leaking sounds, no gas leaking down the barrel). I put everything back together, oiling the striker before I installed it. I have not done anything to the ASA/Reg.

I have a theory as to why I am having the two issues outlined above:

1) The higher operating pressure/velocity problems may be due to the field paint at the outdoor field. I'm not sure if it is because it might be stored outside (and it's still coldish around here), or because it is cheap paint (field only charges $40/case, paint is typically $60/case or more around here), but it is very small. So small in fact that the smallest backing for my kit (.682) is a little too big; it rolls through pretty easily, although it does get stopped up in the back a little, but even when it gets stuck I can see by looking through the back that it is only contacting the barrel at two opposing, very small points, and can see a decent amount of light through it.

2) The gas consumption concerns me more. We get all day air, but running out during a game (and not being able to play back-to-back games without being conservative sucks). There are no detectable leaks when the gun is sitting, and it's too loud to tell while firing. From the reading I've done I'm thinking this may be the striker o-ring; it doesn't sound like it lasts more than 5k-10k shots before starting to leak. I am going to try replacing it before I go next time.

Besides the solutions I suggest, does anyone have another idea as to why my gas consumption is up? I wouldn't mind solving the velocity issues by jacking the pressure up a bit, presuming I can get gas consumption down.

I've also read suggestions of disassembling the ASA/Reg and oiling it; although I could do this, I would rather avoid it. I believe the manual says not to oil the air system by putting oil in the ASA and shooting it through; is this because oil will get on the bolt (which, being derlin, will expand), or is the cup seal also derlin? Has anyone ever tried removing the bolt (after cocking the striker), oiling the ASA, and firing the oil through? Just curious, as I'd like to avoid taking my reg apart if possible.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this; I appreciate any help you can lend!

king-man
05-02-2008, 07:47 AM
ok, I read up to the 260 Fps and then just kwit, anywho, the marker is destined to run on 250 psi perfectly, if ur q is why is it so high, its not

desonos
05-02-2008, 08:02 AM
My bigger concern is the gas consumption; are there any things other than the striker o-ring that I should check/replace?

king-man
05-03-2008, 12:08 PM
reg, valve orings, thatd b it, so what is your gas consumption, ___shots out of a __ci ____psi tank

desonos
05-03-2008, 01:16 PM
On my 48ci tank charged at 3000PSI (the fill station at the field needs fixing before they can do 4500PSI), I'm getting 300-450 shots before my marker starts failing to recock during rapid fire (because the tank isn't recharging it fast enough).

deano 177
05-05-2008, 07:21 AM
is it 400 or 800 psi tank output?

desonos
05-05-2008, 07:22 AM

deano 177
05-05-2008, 07:26 AM
I have always had to run mine at the higher psi. You probably got away with it being as you were shooting such low fps. I had fast fire issues with mine a few weeks ago but it was the striker o-ring. Once I changed it I didn't have any more problems...