PDA

View Full Version : Quiting for awhile....

Muddytaco
05-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Well I never thought I would say this but I am actually quiting paintball for awhile, I don't how long or if I will ever come back.

I don't know what happened but lately I have just lost interest. I have only played about 3 times since dec. I just don't have the drive that I use to have. My whole life use to rotate around paintball. I played almost every weekend and all my spare cash went towards more and more gear, I was even up to 9 guns at one point last summer.

I would say part of the reason is the new kids that are coming into paintball that have no respect for what the game use to be. If I take out my cocker they right away think I am some noob and say the gun is trash. It use to not bother me but I am tired of hearing their **** and even if I take the time to explain it they just respond with "ego is better"

This leads me to the next point, the people that consistently say guns are trash/don't buy it and they have never even used/shot the gun. For example Angel takes more crap from fanboy players then any other company, 95% of pbn will say angel is trash but yet only about 5% of those people have actually used there product. Just b/c every noob thinks the ego is the great gun ever when in reality it has more kick then any other high end gun out at the moment.

The new players coming in expect everything for free, they want the best of everything and expect somebody else to pay for it. I remember when I first started white box paint was $100 a case, top end mech guns that could shoot 8 bps were $1300. If they think the sport is expensive now look back on what it use to be. For under $500 now you can have a complete setup that can easily shoot 13 bps semi and over 20 in different modes, that is dirt cheap. I spent $550 on my first setup back in the mid 90's and all I got was a mech spyder, 12 volt revy and 20 oz CO2 tank.

Also it really bothers me at the lack of teching skill the players have, they almost need a gun tech to screw the tank in for them. I constantly see gun braek down just b/c the owner failed to do simple maintenance.

Ramping has killed the game from what it use to be. Walking the trigger use to be a skill that you had to learn to play at the top level, now anybody can shoot as fast as they want just by pulling the trigger 3 times, that is one reason IMO why nppl > psp. To me it seemed like people were alot more friendly when everybody just had mech guns, there was no overshooting by 20 balls, ect.

Also I always over hear the younger players talking about how they lit up the players that were out for the first time, do they really expect the sport to grow when you punish the new players so bad that they never want to come back and play again?

Overall the sport is not what it use to be and IMO has taken a turn for the worse. It is no longer the game where everybody just goes out to have a good time. Everybody thinks they have to win or they completely failed. Cheating is actually part of the game now, its no longer o hey I am hit, I am out, its more like o I got hit, wonder if I can wipe it off before anybody notices.

The last time that I really had fun was when I went out with my dads company last year and played woodsball. Everybody was just there to have a good time. No bull**** arguing, etc.

Last thing, this really is not what I hoped it would come to, for the longest time I have actually wanted to open my own shop to work on custom guns, help players that needed help, etc. and eventually even open my own field but sadly the sport is no longer the sport I fell in love with 12 years ago when I first started. I don't know how long I will stay out or if I will even come back at all. Most likely I will only come back and play pump, I can't stand the kids that play semi any longer, I have quit speedball before and when I came back it was just as bad as before.

I will still be around on the boards to mod and help other players, I like it to much here to stop coming around.

All of my stuff will most likely be up for sale in the next couple of days.:(

Muddytaco

tl;dr:
Read it or don't comment.

irishwarrior
05-01-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with other players and that you have decided to exit the game. I hope you don't quit forever. I do agree about the fanboy and cheating things, though. Paintball is going through a rough patch, ethic-wise.

Critical
05-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Read it all, seems like more and more of the players that have been in for a while are sitting down. Although I understand your reasoning, it's disappointing, since those of us who have only been playing for a couple years have looked to these players for inspiration, and for guidance. Although I'm 33, I have no problem listening to someone younger if they know WTF they're talking about. Sadly, those players rarely come out to the fields anymore, they either play outlaw fields only with those close to them, or they sit down entirely.

I believe that paintball is at something of a crossroads, the price has come down significantly (yes, there are $1500+ markers, but overall it's down), it has taken it's first tippy-toed steps into the mainstream (which has brought in those players for whom agg, ramping noobs, etc is the norm), and many of the players have, for whatever reason, moved into camps where this company is crap, or this one is the best, regardless of the real-world performance of their products.

With all that being said, hold onto at least one setup, that one that is your one true baby. You never know when you might have occasion to go out like you did with your dad's company. Also, you will need to start smoking or get married, you need to have an expensive habit to replace paintball.

SpyderMan723
05-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Muddy you CAN'T quit paintball! I know it starts to get old when you keep hearing all the pissing and moaning from all these kids who have their parents pay for all their **** and dont respect the game, but if you quit and just let them get away with whatever they want, the game will get worse. But if you stick around and tell them straight up then they might actually smarten up. But i completely understand your reasons for quitting.. and it really is too bad. hope you come back soon :)

TheDarkShadow
05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
wow, I'm sorry to hear that, hopefully you won't stay at forever

xsvly-fat
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
thats to bad but i know what you mean. now its more about being 'agg' and not getting out and having fun. when i first started playing (not even three years ago) it was just me and some of my friends going out and having fun but then i got into speedball and i seen a great difference in not only the players but also the atmosphere, people would swear when they lose, and they argue with the refs and if you do beat them they would accuse you of cheating. to many people are focused on winning (by any means possible) and getting prizes, those people also ruin it for everyone else especially the people who are going out for the first time or just wanting to have fun. it makes me sad to think about it cause those people arent helping the sport their just making a bad name for it.

king-man
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
IMO, i dont blame you. i may be only 15 but damn, my parents boughtme my first gun and tank, that was98 custom and co2 tank at the turn of the century. Secondly, i hate geting cracked on for owning a spyder, but hot damned if i dont beat every ion at our field and there just"oh that gun is rigged blah blah blah" as for not being able to tech there own guns, i will twerk on my gun untill its either fixed or worse then what i started, i may eventually throw in the towel and take it to a repair shop. i see so many people just throw their **** around, and immediatly i think" you spoiled rotten little ***", ugh IMO Woodsball>Speeball Woodsball, everyone has a good time, speedball, someone gets pissed of becuase of something stupid, yourre right thow, paintball will probably never be what it used to, i almost wish there was some law that illegalized ramping like some countries have on full auto, i would rather play somebody by their talent not by their gun.
i guess there is one thing coming out of you quitting, we get all your stuff, lolz jk, glad to hear you will still be around the forums though, hopefuly this isnt the next thing to happen to paintball, all of its veterans going away would absolutly kill the sport

durrell
05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
That basically encompasses the reason I quit.

My main reasoning was the extremely high cost of decent equipment. But I also just stopped enjoying it. I haven't really missed it since I stopped playing back in 2005.

DirtySouth
05-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Mmmmm...This is sadly true. I hate the fact that little spoiled rich 13-year-olds with Ego's think they can bash on a 17-year-old like myself who works to buy my own equipment.

(Note: I was in Juvenile for a month after getting in a fight at a local field. That little 14-year-old didn't know when to shut up after my team whooped his little friends with a bunch of mech Aggressors. It was worth breaking his jaw.)

NPPL > PSP = True dat.

shunut
05-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Sorry to here that Taco, but I totally understand everything. I hope that when I get my lungs and come back its different, unfortunately I don't think it will be.

king-man
05-01-2008, 02:33 PM
(Note: I was in Juvenile for a month after getting in a fight at a local field. That little 14-year-old didn't know when to shut up after my team whooped his little friends with a bunch of mech Aggressors. It was worth breaking his jaw.)

nice, but did he stop playing after that, also what kind of guns were they using, but dang to break his jaw, bet he dont talk no more **** to you, what happened to you, as far as the field, ban?

DFSniper
05-01-2008, 02:34 PM
I would say part of the reason is the new kids that are coming into paintball that have no respect for what the game use to be. If I take out my cocker they right away think I am some noob and say the gun is trash. It use to not bother me but I am tired of hearing their **** and even if I take the time to explain it they just respond with "ego is better"

or whats just as bad is "its not fair that you get to use an electro against us mech players!" i heard that a lot last weekend, and this coming from full grown adults, soldiers even. a guy brought his 2k4 cocker and they were complaining that it wasnt fair against their a5s...

king-man
05-01-2008, 03:41 PM
a guy brought his 2k4 cocker and they were complaining that it wasnt fair against their a5s...

thats sad, a5s can getwhat, 8bps, they say twenty but without an electro frame i dont see how that would be possible with the trigger pull so hard

DirtySouth
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
nice, but did he stop playing after that, also what kind of guns were they using, but dang to break his jaw, bet he dont talk no more **** to you, what happened to you, as far as the field, ban?

Well...Didn't keep him from playing...But it did keep him away from me and my friends...He was using an 06-07 Ego(as well as his team)...Can't really remember. I f*cked up his gun also....Meh...We were both suspended. Him for about 2-3 weeks...My sentence is still on...Won't be allowed for about 6 more months...I just play at a different field...Same distance from home...My team owns with Spyders...:D

XSiv Force
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM
i prefer to use a mech aganist ANY electro. makes me think about what i need to do in order to match them

SpyderMan723
05-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Well...Didn't keep him from playing...But it did keep him away from me and my friends...He was using an 06-07 Ego(as well as his team)...Can't really remember. I f*cked up his gun also....Meh...We were both suspended. Him for about 2-3 weeks...My sentence is still on...Won't be allowed for about 6 more months...I just play at a different field...Same distance from home...My team owns with Spyders...:D

:bow: i envy you. Wish I could break someones ego lol :punch:

but really... shame shame shame:shameonyou:, thou shalt not punch bratty kids with egos.

but answer this really quick, is there really such thing as a permanent record?:praying:

XSiv Force
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
yep..........mine is being held by top people......top people

DirtySouth
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
:bow: i envy you. Wish I could break someones ego lol :punch:

but really... shame shame shame:shameonyou:, thou shalt not punch bratty kids with egos.

but answer this really quick, is there really such thing as a permanent record?:praying:

I'll punch any bratty kid that owns an Ego whenever I want. :)

SpyderMan723
05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I'll punch any bratty kid that owns an Ego whenever I want. :)

good enough!

bigred76
05-01-2008, 04:55 PM
*sigh* Back on topic....

Sorry to hear that you're fed up, Dave! Let me know when you come back and I'll sell you my Borg (whatever one I have) to help you get on your feet again. ;)

MVS1
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Dave, hate to see ya hang it up but I understand your frustration. Me and the guys that I play with pretty much run/enforce the field rules, we've walked numerous players and when we get a group of wanna be pb thugs who just want to pick on all the new/less experienced players we just gear up and wax them a couple of times. 3 of us took on 8 punks that thought they were something special, it took about 5 minutes and a couple of intential bunkerings and they got some humility and a much better understanding of pb manners. That doesn't have to happen very often, we keep pretty good control of things and NOBODY uses anything other than Semi, period. If we catch anybody trying to get away with switching modes after they leave the chrono box, we warn them once and the next time their gone.
I also feel ya on the tech'n side of things, I usually spend half my day at the field taking care of kids problems with their gear, and it's always lack of maintenance and ignorance on how to adjust pressures and board settings. If it's serious neglect that's causing the problem, I just tell them what they need to do, and send them on their way, they either take care of it or have a reallybad day.
One kids mom wanted her money back for field fee's/all-day-air/case of paint because her son's marker (his marker not a rental, not even one that he had bought from the fields store) was all jacked up. Cindy, the field owner was ready to do it to keep for coming off as a hard ass, I grabbed the kids Ion, put a new battery in it, spent about 30 minutes with it adjusting settings and pressures, replaced the dead batteries in his Halo, properly wound the feed cone, the hole time pointing out that the he should have been doin all these things himself and handed it to him. He took it out and rocked the rest of the day, his Mom feeling guilty about how she acted came up to me and tried to give me a $20 tip, I told here thanks but she needed to give that to cindy and the only reason I did what I did was because cindy shouldn't have to deal with what she did because of her son's neglect of his own equipment and that I was more than happy to show her son how to take care of his equipment properly but it was his responsibility to bring operational equipment to the field and not rely on us to make it work for him and that next time he was on his own. People like her really piss me off, taking advantage of a field owners good nature and fear of getting a bad rep.

LostCause
05-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I agree with what you said, though yes i am a new player, and I don't have the wide experience yall do. Only have been playing for a year, and maybe 9 times so far, I see where your coming form I rember when I was at my local field and saw two 12yr olds shooting 07 egos. Just listing to them you could tell they never took care of the gun, and you could see paint oozing out of the gun, paint still stuck on it, it was really a disgrace. There parents spent that money (atleast i dont know many 12yr olds with that kind of money), seeing them not takeing care of their gun. Oh well, I play with responsible guys mostly, though one of my best mates, did the stupidis thing ever to his ion, putting on some grips i got him for his b-day, he broke part of his board off......so he had to go and get a Blackheart board, then being him got a SP Freak system. Next time, he breakes his trigger messing with it, went got a new trigger....sigh....I have learnt how to maintain a ion now with experience.....though its just part of scoiety in whole i belive. Sorry to hear that Muddy, hope you do come back, you seem like as nice guy.

cyberthrasher_706
05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I agree with all this on topic stuff. (yeah, don't condone hurting someone over words and bragging about it makes it sound like you're probably worse than them.)
anyway, These attitudes from players are the primary reason I don't play at any of the fields. Me and my friends just go hit the woods and have fun, although there is a little bit of the Tippy VS. Spyder debate but when it comes down to it we usually just have a lot of fun and respect. I agree that you should hold on to that one cherished marker, if not just to mount it and remember the good times.

slim and shady
05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Why dont you give Scenario a shot? I have never once heard anything remotly close to what I hear from young tournament players. Scenarios are all fun, hearty times. I dunno its just a thought but the crowed your playing with and against there isnt any of that at least where I play regardless of age and skill. There is lots of "Good shot" or "Sweet marker" but never any talk of attempting to evershoot a player (and most of them use full auto), Why someones marker sucks, or anything remotly negative to a fellow player its all commraderie and a really great time. I just thought I would mention this, maby you might wanna think about taking it up instead of quitting compleatly. i know its probably not your cup of tea but i personaly would think its alot better then losing another great member to the ever expanding swarm or young locusts.

XSiv Force
05-01-2008, 06:05 PM
:yeahthat:

Muddytaco
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Well I have been going back and forth on this ever since I posted, I still think it will all go for now.

Its hard to start playing woodsball when the closest one is about a hour drive and the local speedball field is less then 5 min away.

I am hoping somebody I know will buy my cocker incase I want to come back, its my fav. gun but I can't see keeping it around for nothing when I could spend the money on something else.

I still have my first gun (spyder se) to mount for memories:)

If I start playing again it will probably be around august, throw a team together to play pump in the local tourny series.

TheDarkShadow
05-01-2008, 07:38 PM
I still have my first gun (spyder se) to mount for memories:)

wow, when's the last time that got aired up? Keep the cocker, that thing is sexy

cyberthrasher_706
05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I still have my first gun (spyder se) to mount for memories
Now that sounds like a plan, right on the mantle so you can tell stories to the grand kids:D

OSOK
05-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I play woodsball, and I have played speedball. If your course for woodsball is an hours drive, I think it is worth it. We have people come from all over to our field just because it is from 8-4. Whenever I play speedball I usually get at least 5 bonus balls every time i'm hit. I was using my Mech gun, but I still did well. I have an electric gun now but I still am going to play woodsball just because everyone is so much more calm and relaxed.

One think I always try to do after I get cussed at or laughed at or whatever at speedball, is compliment them. My dad taught me this, and it really makes you feel bad.

slim and shady
05-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I drive and hour to the scenario feild and half hour to the woodsball feilds and i think it is very well worthit. We usually have a turnout anywere between 200and 450 for scenarios and EVERYONE is nice. I really would like to see more of the people who are sick of speedball and its attitude to turn more toward the friendlier more fun side of the sport. Then maby more people will see why us woodsball and scenario players let it roll off are back when speedballers say these forms of the game arent "paintball"

Moe
05-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Play recball. I never seemed to catch any **** when I was out playing with my phantom. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention to it...I don't know.

Best of luck to you though.

XSiv Force
05-02-2008, 08:33 PM
n o one messes with the guys with pumps

Drefish99
05-02-2008, 08:46 PM
This is one of the reasons they lowered the BPS to 13.33 BPS. The higher ups in paintball realized they were killing the sport. Just as you stated with new people coming on the field to play and then getting lit up would you want to come back? I kinda saw the issues come to height when the industry didn't take a stand on ramping and just changed the rules to allow it legally into the sport. When an industry doesn't take a stand against cheating and chases the all mighty $ it won't grow. Now with all the boards that have 100 million different modes and help you fire 1000bps who in their right mind would want to get shot that way? Even 13bps to a new person can be intimidating. Hope you come back and play again Muddy. Like everyone says though try playing rec or hosting private parties. Thats what I do. We do a monthly outing where I organize a private group. Everyone and anyone is invited. Rules we follow is semi only and that our focus is having fun.

DFSniper
05-02-2008, 09:11 PM
n o one messes with the guys with pumps

QFT. when i pulled out my hammer, i was always picked first when we redid teams.

STRIKEFIRST
05-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Well, I just sold one of my VS2's to a youger kid...I met he and his dad personally. His son playes maybe 6 times and his dad played with him with an old tippy he had.

I "threw in" a new nxe pack, pods, oil etc...this kid was way excited. After going over maintenance and safety and what not, his Dad said his friends helped him pick a VS2. He said all his friends are shooting $600 plus guns. I was in shock...I never thought I'd hear the day that a bunch of kids shooting those kind of markers would actually RECOMMEND a Spyder to a friend...that age are usually the ones that you run into bad mouthing what they don't know...his Dad said that there was a group of about 12 kids ages 15 to 17.

Chris asked about ramping...I explained to him what I thought of ramping. Throwing gallons of paint in the air wasn't skill or much fun. I told him about when I started and my first day playing with the "Battle Dragons". He seemed to understand and agree...especially when I aired it up and let him see how fast it really was.

I'm rambling...again

So maybe there is hope...Chris and his Dad sure gave me some. A good group of kids, respect and parental involvement and guidance.

XSiv Force
05-02-2008, 09:49 PM
For all the "bad" mannered ones there will always be the "good" mannered ones. It all depends on how they were brought into the game.....anger breeds anger....hate breeds hate........Generally when i run across those types that bad mouth other i say there is always a bigger badder fish......and unfortunatly for them most of the time im the Bigger (physically) Badder (better player) fish that has no issue with teaching lessons.......I have always backed up the one that people pic on........It was funny one day when a bunch of guys (ages 12-20) all packing DM8 decided to start ripping on ssome kids that had spyders and piranhas....i told the older guys that i woulsd take them on with the little kids as my team...they laughed until the game started ..........funny seeing high end guns get torn up by piranhas and spyders

Drefish99
05-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Speaking of bigger badder fish :D.

I do have to agree that negativity will breed more negativity. I know that our game is specifically using guns and shooting people. How we incorporate that to getting new players and raising them into the sport will determine how long they will enjoy playing. I get on peoples cases especially on PBN when they try to look down at new users or new members because they say that is how they were treated when they were new. When will the cycle end? Its ones choice how we choose to accept the next new person. How we will introduce them into the sport. Its up to us how we choose to play our part in this sport. We can either decide to treat it like garbage and maybe when you all have kids they might play it or choose yes there will be a future for paintball and I will do my part in making sure more and more people try it out and enjoy it.

HelpDeskHustler
05-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't know if you recall my poll, but I'm actually forming what could be the roots to a local pump league. I got about 10 guys interested and we're just trying to take it from there. I don't think it's good to give up hope completely, if there's a problem with something don't try to find something without problems, try to fix the problem. I completely agree that speed is killing the sport, but I'd disagree on ramping, since really all that did was make it more prevalent by amplifying it. 13.33 is a good improvement, but even a lower speed might be needed. I'm in support of PSP for making that effort to lower speeds.

STRIKEFIRST
05-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't know if you recall my poll, but I'm actually forming what could be the roots to a local pump league. I got about 10 guys interested and we're just trying to take it from there. I don't think it's good to give up hope completely, if there's a problem with something don't try to find something without problems, try to fix the problem. I completely agree that speed is killing the sport, but I'd disagree on ramping, since really all that did was make it more prevalent by amplifying it. 13.33 is a good improvement, but even a lower speed might be needed. I'm in support of PSP for making that effort to lower speeds.

I'm all for a 13 bps cap. A pump league would be sweet.

VS3 Sniper
05-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Lol the first time I played speedball I got bunkered my an ego......He aimed right for the top of my head....lets just say It didn't feel good. I hate to see ya go Dave but I know where ur comming from. I have been debating wether to quit myself. Seems like I had more fun going to mall than I did the last time I played pb.

Ace24
05-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I COMPLETELY agree with you. Everything you said in that post is reflected at our field. The kids are *******s and the majority of them are under the age of 14. It PISSES me off.

This is why I no longer play semi myself. I just don't feel like being one of those kids. That and because I'm sick of people who haven't shot my guns, ripping on them. I've gained A LOT of respect through pump. I scare the **** out of the regulars/walk ons just because I'm all over the place, intimidating/pushing back just as hard as they push me.

I agree with what you said 100%. In fact, I hate PSP now. After playing pump, I can't go back to it. I see it as a waste of paint and there being no skill/fun involved with it anymore. Sure, back when I first got my PSP board in the FASOR, I flipped. I loved it... ...but now, it's a joke. This is why the ION I'm building is only having one stock part. The board. I refuse to buy a Virtue/APE/Lucky/T-board for it due to the fact that I already have a gun that ramps fine. Why have two? Why waste the money?

I hardly ever play rec ball anymore due to the EXACT same reasons you just stated. I get enough bull**** from the stupid kids when I have to ref.

If you think the attitude is bad when you're playing with/against them, try reffing the lil' ****ers for 2 years. I mostly play tourney ball now.

That $550 you were talking about for your first package, I can relate to that as well. My first Spyder (Fenix) cost me something like $160. I bought a CO2 tank, a Morph, (after my JT Elite Headshield >.<) JT gloves, EggII w/Z-board, and Army BDU's. All of that ran me around $400-450 or so. Now you can get an mid end and HPA tank and a mask for under that price.

When I get down to TX, even if you don't play anymore, I'm throwing a gun, mask, and pants at you and pulling you on to the field for at least one game with me haha.

EDIT:
Thought I'd add one more thing in relation to your statement about the overshooting of the "first timers."

The other day, one of the guys, that is on one of our NVP teams, ran through and BUNKERED (we do not alow bunkering in mixed/beginner games. This was a mixed game. A mixed game consists of advanced and beginner players) a first timer. But thats not the bad part, the bad part is he did the "Chris Lasoya" thing. He shot HER in the back of the head as he bunkered HER while she was calling herself out and trying to get up from her bunker.

God must have been watching at that moment because one of our assistant managers came out (keep in mind, we're the areas best maintained indoor premier fields) and saw what he did. He immediately told the kid to get off the field, to pack his gear up, and to get out.

The kid later lost his NVP player sponsorship and has, not only to pay full price for all the events, paint, and such that his team does, he is on the verge (and has been before) of being kicked permanently from the team.

EDIT A SECOND TIME:

You, sir, are part of the problem. There is no excuse for punching/fighting anyone just because they talked down to you. This is what gives the sport a bad name and you are not helping. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

or whats just as bad is "its not fair that you get to use an electro against us mech players!" i heard that a lot last weekend, and this coming from full grown adults, soldiers even. a guy brought his 2k4 cocker and they were complaining that it wasnt fair against their a5s...

This is what cracks me up, and where true talent shows. Our team, for instance, uses pumps... against semi's of all levels.

Then we get the dumb ****s that like to rip on us for losing a game. Well lookie here bud, we're already setting ourselves up with a HUGE handicap by using pumps. We don't care that you have a semi. We don't care that you're throwing 8-15bps over our heads. We're still coming for you and we will still kick ass.

TL;DR: It's a forum. You can learn to read a bit. ;)

spray and pray
05-03-2008, 03:14 AM
I know what you mean. All/most the little kids are ****heads who have their mommy and daddy buy there stuff. At a tournament I saw 8 kids running around with ions. These kids were about 10 years old, and I can respect the fact that they want to play. Some 13 year old got bunkered and shot in the back of the head 4 times at three feet away. He was on the ground screaming and the little kids come over and kick him and call him a *****. I can't stand that. It seems like ever since hybrid started contract killer and things like that the whole sport has changed.

Ace24
05-03-2008, 09:32 AM
I still think they need to up the age limit.

MVS1
05-03-2008, 10:04 AM
These young kids that like to cuss it up and act like asses, usually aren't too thrilled when I walk up to their parents when they come to pick them up and inform the parents that if their kid doesn't clean up his mouth or change how they act they will not be allowed to come back. Most parents get that "you just wait till you get home look", and apologize for their kids behavior. Some want to argue with you, where I just point out to them that playing at the field is a priviledge and the Owners have the right to refuse entry to anyone and maybe they should go find somewhere else to play.

IMO, it's the Veteran players that make or break it. If you see crap going on, stop it, if the field owner won't back you, and turns a blind eye to what's going on, then your at the wrong field.

DirtySouth
05-03-2008, 10:42 AM
You, sir, are part of the problem. There is no excuse for punching/fighting anyone just because they talked down to you. This is what gives the sport a bad name and you are not helping. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

I will admit that I have been a problem. But it wasn't entirely my fault. I warned him no less then 10 times that if he continued his ****, I was going to beat the living **** out of him. I even warned his parents. I tried to a create a solution so many times. He continued and he got his @$$ beat.

irishwarrior
05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
:yeahthat: not to Dirty South, I didn't see his post, I meant for MVS1.

LostCause
05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
i agree with the young kids trying to act kool and cussing ppl out, ive met some kool kids (the koolest kid i met was 12 years old at my field, shot a ion, maintatined it, his dad was a blast to talk to too. That kid had skill, cant wait to see him on a team), though the ones that mostly stick on my mind are the young ones (im a youngin too, just fyi, only 17 :() that falt out cuss you out, and say there better cause there gun is better then my Piolt ACS....honestly, i can walk faster then most of them, but they always are like, well its not a high end, blah blah.....I felt liek beating the crap out of them. But w/e, tell them to shut up, then they don't take it out on them on the field....:D

Vetrans though at my field, are always great, and helpful. Just the younger ones kinda ruin it. oh well. Theres a league i may have our team join, or atleast go to some events that are just semi.....ramping has taken over the skill required.....

STRIKEFIRST
05-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I played on a church sponsored tourney schedule about a year and a hlaf ago...THAT was fun. No attitudes, fair play, strictly enforced rules and gangster crap got you escorted out.

Maybe we Veterans and the owners need to take responsibilty and set the example, mentor and set up strict rules.

Crap I remember having to sign a contract to play high school football, a "gunless" sport.

Critical
05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Maybe we Veterans and the owners need to take responsibilty and set the example...

Except the veterans are sitting down, playing privately, or only playing select games (no offense intended MuddyTaco). And, as far as taking responsibility, you have veterans like Ollie Lang doing assassinations, and the field owners aren't going to do anything because they're stretched to the breaking point in many cases, and these agg-sters and similar spend huge amounts of money on field paint, and come into their stores to buy upgrades and to have their markers fixed when they break something. Why would they want to stop the money flowing in?

HelpDeskHustler
05-03-2008, 12:51 PM
For the record: I can't tell you how fun it is to bunker some smack-talking, foul-mouthed, ego-toting, noob-pwning pbnster via one pump shot to the head while he's dumping yet another pod of paint he didn't pay for into a gun he didn't pay for.

I will say I do understand where they get their frustration with noobs from though, I try to be cool with noobs, let them check out my gear when they look interested, direct them, give them cover... etc, but it really ticks me off when noobs refuse to "man-up". The basics like moving from back center are all I really ask, but some unreasonable things should be covered, example: I wanted to give some chuch group a story to tell, and it was really slow at the field, so like rec players and I (there were 4 of us... 2v2 gets boring when one has a pump and another is a ref playing with an automag he found in the woods that has rust in it - for lols) ask the 30 church group members if they'll do a 4v30 diagonally across 2 adjacent fields and they declined because they thought we'd pwn them. I can honestly say we wouldn't have.

Personally, 13bps is still too fast. I love how PSP made an effort to shorten lanes with the mini pillars, since laning is the most boring thing to watch, and a total waste of paint.

paintballkid0206
05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
i agree with you muddytaco. i've almost completely quit speedball becuase off all that stupid stuff thats going (over shooting, ramping, etc). im also sick of being made fun of because i play with a spyder. All of my friends have PMRs and MINIs and minions and stuff like that. i do think its funny how they make fun of my for my spyder and i usually 1-ball em. but i TOTALLY agree with you here

slim and shady
05-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Reading all these posts again enforces my sugestion of woodsball or scenario, every person here who has a problem has it with tourny players. More specificaly the younger ones. I understand and respect it is a a fair drive for alot of people to play these other forms of paintball. However paintball as a whole shouldnt be brought down becaue of tournament punks, there is no problem anything like that with woodsball or scenario.

So it isnt a "paintball" problem its a "speedball" problem.

DirtySouth
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Reading all these posts again enforces my sugestion of woodsball or scenario, every person here who has a problem has it with tourny players. More specificaly the younger ones. I understand and respect it is a a fair drive for alot of people to play these other forms of paintball. However paintball as a whole shouldnt be brought down becaue of tournament punks, there is no problem anything like that with woodsball or scenario.

So it isnt a "paintball" problem its a "speedball" problem.

Amen.

irishwarrior
05-03-2008, 03:20 PM

Muddytaco
05-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Well I finally sat down and took out everything own, I have alot more then I thought I did, I have even already sold off roughly half of what I use to have in the last 4 months hoping it would be enough to justify keeping the rest.

Kind of sad taking pics of everything I own to sell off, I can look at stuff and see all the time, effort and money I have put into it. But I know its the right thing to do for now, I want to get out for awhile before I totally hate it and never want to come back.

Expect to see my massive sale sometime around the end of the day tomorrow, its going to take awhile to sort through the pics, number everything and assign prices.

irishwarrior
05-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear you leave paintball, but, I'm glad you like us enough to stick around :).

vikingshadow
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Wow - been there, done that! Taco, I totally understand you though. I feel and have felt the same way about the same people for the same reason. However, I'd take it as far as to say it's not just young kids, but (at least around here) it's the teenagers and lower 20's that act that way. I've even seen older guys (not as old as me, haha!) treat people poorly. The young kids are just targets to them...

Also, I've seen some tournament players with EXCELLENT attitudes, and some with HORRIBLE attitudes. Around here, it's the woodsballer "experts" that give the new kids a bad time, and the tourney players that treat them good. Kind of backwards to what you guys are saying, but it is NW Oklahoma, afterall. We're backwards most of the time! What I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't spend time labeling people and blaming one aspect of the entire game. We've all seen the jerks at all levels.

Taco, if I might offer a suggestion, please don't get rid of everything you own. It's the one thing I didn't do when I quit for a year, and when I started back, I was so glad I hadn't. I hope you come back, but I'm afraid it seems to be a going trend that's getting more prevalent every year. Glad you're staying around, though!

XSiv Force
05-03-2008, 07:29 PM
:yeahthat: all of it

timmyshoota
05-03-2008, 07:39 PM
I didn't read your first post, well, because I know you'll be back. I don't care what you say, you will be. Keep the essentials. 1 pair of pants, 1 mask, 1 tank, 1 hopper, one pack, maybe a mid sized bag. That way when you want to return, you just need a gun. I made the mistake of selling everything and then 3 weeks later everything changed for me and I got back in. I only play every couple weeks, but I could of saved myself $400 by keeping all my gear that I sold saying I wouldn't be back for awhile.

Eventually I'll go back and read why you're quitting, but right now the NBA Playoffs are making it tough to concentrate on anything else.

Ace24
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
We have this one 14 year old who is really short at our field. He's like 5'. The kid gets picked on a lot by the older/younger/ and the "Agg" kids... but the fact is, he does REALLY well on the field. He picked up an old Freestyle and completely schooled everyone on the other side of the field.

The kid has promise. Thats for sure.

DRAGON
05-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Quitting for awhile?

Slacker! - :dodgy:

Ace24
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Gah... every time someone says "slacker" I think of the principal from Back To The Future. Bahahaha

STRIKEFIRST
05-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Some of these kids I hope get woken up woken up by a good old fist to cuff ass kicking. Maybe that will bring them to reality and help them on the path to becoming men...obviously the parents aren't doing it.

OSOK
05-04-2008, 08:12 AM
I do find it stupid how parents do not discipline their kids now a days. My parents always hit me when I do something wrong, I've gotten the belt once or twice, and a spoon.

irishwarrior
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
Spoon?:confused:

DirtySouth
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Spoon?:confused:

pbfreak3221
05-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I do find it stupid how parents do not discipline their kids now a days. My parents always hit me when I do something wrong, I've gotten the belt once or twice, and a spoon.

Those are two extremes. Nothing and beating are opposite sides of the spectrum, beating is not the right way to discipline kids or anyone for that matter.

MVS1
05-04-2008, 10:49 AM
My wife uses a wooden spoon on the kids:rolleyes: when they do something that finally justifies a spanking from her. Her Dad was a Drunk and pretty heavy handed so she doesn't like spanking. Now as for me, I don't spank my kids to hurt them it's more to enforce to them that what they did is wrong and has consequences.
And the belt is my tool of choice :D. You don't have too hit near as hard to have the same effect, hell half the time just the threat of it or the visual is enough to correct.

DRAGON
05-04-2008, 10:54 AM
It's not the kids, it's not the parents, it's not even paintball, it's society today as it has shaped our way of thinking. We have been forced into an irreversable rut of no morals and courthouse dicipline making it almost impossible to run life as it was when this country was strong. We've become a society of complainers that thrive in the lawyer section of the yellow pages. I could go on but all this is a bit off topic, sry Taco -

durrell
05-04-2008, 10:59 AM
It's not the kids, it's not the parents, it's not even paintball, it's society today as it has shaped our way of thinking. We have been forced into an irreversable rut of no morals and courthouse dicipline making it almost impossible to run life as it was when this country was strong. We've become a society of complainers that thrive in the lawyer section of the yellow pages. I could go on but all this is a bit off topic, sry Taco -

So true Drago.

And sadly enough it seems to be only downhill from here. Especially with the presidential candidates we have.

DRAGON
05-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Hee hee ya, McCain's a hardass that can't decide whether he's a republican or democrat, Hillary's a power hungry ***** and Obama's a......um......antisymerican(new word) -

XSiv Force
05-04-2008, 11:30 AM
wow off topic :dodgy:

HelpDeskHustler
05-04-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree with the society bit. Kids now-a-days think they mean **** and that somebody should start kissing their feet.

STRIKEFIRST
05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
So true Drago.

And sadly enough it seems to be only downhill from here. Especially with the presidential candidates we have.

What's wrong with our candidates :confused:

Seriously...if those 3 are the best our country has to offer...we are in deep deep trouble.

DFSniper
05-04-2008, 02:34 PM
i have to admit (and go against what just about everyone else said), fear and beatings knocked me into shape when i was little. i don't mean cigar burns and leather belts (ok, that happened ONCE), but my dad was pretty heavy-handed, and my mom broke a few wooden spoons...

xsvly-fat
05-04-2008, 02:54 PM
my mom broke a few wooden spoons...

my mom did that once lol

OSOK
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Ya I don't get beatings I get disciplinary hits. After I look back on the stuff I did, I do deserve them. I've had one wooden spoon broken. and the belt a couple times.

DRAGON
05-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Ha ha, spoons remind me of my buddy. His mom used one of those paddles from a paddle ball thingy. She used to keep it on top of the fridge. He got ingenious one day and decided to superglue it to the top of the fridge. Needless to say, she got something else and beat the crap outta him even worse -

XSiv Force
05-04-2008, 03:40 PM
ha i would crck up if i was there when that happened but this is soooooo off topic

xsvly-fat
05-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Ha ha, spoons remind me of my buddy. His mom used one of those paddles from a paddle ball thingy. She used to keep it on top of the fridge. He got ingenious one day and decided to superglue it to the top of the fridge. Needless to say, she got something else and beat the crap outta him even worse -

LOL! that is so funny

slim and shady
05-04-2008, 03:55 PM
well to bring things back on topic i see your sales thread. Guess that means that it is official. It's sad to see you go and i hope you find your way back to the sport shortly.

irishwarrior
05-04-2008, 04:13 PM
:sniffle: :sniffle: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

shunut
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
:( I wish I had the money to buy your cocker.

XSiv Force
05-04-2008, 05:12 PM
i wish i had the money to buy any of that....i really lick the skull jersy

tater_salad
05-04-2008, 05:25 PM
:( I wish I had the money to buy your cocker.

As do I.

SouthStudMuffin
05-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I'll give you 2 years (aka after i get out of college) and i bet you'll get back...maybe even one if i go to texas. But still like a said i would try to keep one gun like i'm doing with my viking (if DC gets off his ass and gets it done finally) and selling everything else just b/c i know that once i sell the viking i'm never going to get another gun like it again and i'll miss it as soon as i sell it off.