PDA

View Full Version : Making of a Field

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
I dont know if this is in the correct spot.

As a lot of you guys know i play for Auburn Paintball team. We currently dont have any type of field readily availible to us. The closest field is about 1 hour away. We have been talking about buying some land and making ourselves one. I talk to my Grandfather and he said he would have no problem in investing in a paintball field for us and any one else that wants to play.
Here are my questions. This is for opinions and inputs.

1) how large of a piece of land would be good?

2) What would be needed on site?

3) What kind of rentals would be good?

4) anything ive missed asking

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
1) speedball, woodsball, or both?

2) small pro shop, tables, fill station(s), netting, safety signs (barrel cover & masks), chrono area

3) tippys as a start

4) insurance, zoning laws, ref clinics(?)

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Well i think since we live here in bama more of the southern people (im from coneticut) would like the woods ball but the team needs a speedball/xball field

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 04:52 PM
hmm, my friend's parents own 4.5 acres of property, so i'm going to guestimate a decent field at 10-20 acres, possibly more depending on terrain.

IRStookmySpyder
04-28-2008, 05:04 PM
XSiv Force- So do you want to do a woodsball and speedball field or just a speedball field? For the woodsball field it is kind of hard to determine since you may want either a bigger one for playing longer games or you may want smaller ones that one last a half an hour or less and for the speedball fields it just depends on how many you want.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 05:07 PM
i think he wants a combination of both. the field here is set up into 2 speedball fields (1 plastic, 1 air) an a "city" speedball field flanked by 2 fortress fields on hills, and it think the playing area itself is about 6 acres.

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 05:07 PM
well we thought having both so that we can get some funding from walk-ons........as of right now we really dont care i just want to know what a nice general size would be...the normal field i play woodsball on is pretty massive and cost well into 100's K

SpyderMan723
04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
You can thank me later :) (http://www.answers.com/topic/paintball-sport-company-business-plan-6?cat=biz-fin)

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
i dont think it tells me anything other than how to run it

SpyderMan723
04-28-2008, 05:19 PM
i dont think it tells me anything other than how to run it

did you click everything?
because it shows the rough cost of your first year of ownership, between retail sales, rentals paint sales air fills etc

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Oh i must have not clicked that one, but i have a bussiness major helping out with this setup but thanks for that

I found it but i dont agree with some of those thigs on there, plus it doesnt say anything about property

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
1) how large of a piece of land would be good? A LARGE piece would be best - preferably one with a lot of woods and a flat(ish) area or two for speedball fields.

2) What would be needed on site? Air tanks and/or compressor, a building to keep equipment (like tools, tanks, rentals, etc., in. You'd also need a leaf blower, netting, barrels, spools, air bunkers - whatever type of field(s) you plan on setting up. Dont overlook parking space. If you don't build it, people will park whereever, and usually where you don't want. A specified chronograph/shooting gallery or people will fire their guns anywhere and everywhere. YOu need to decide if it's FPO or BYOP. If FPO, you need to have a stock of paint on hand so you never run out.

3) What kind of rentals would be good? icons, tippmans, etc. Be ready to clean a LOT of gear. You'll also need air/Co2 tanks, masks, barrel plugs/condoms, packs, etc. for those with absolutely nothing.

4) anything ive missed asking You might think about a riding lawnmower, water and electricity, picnic tables for people to store their gear on, lockers if thievery is a big deal there, shade, etc

See response in red. I've got a LOT of experience with this, having helped set up our field and maintain it over the past 5 years. Our field just shut down ths weekend, but I can tell you it wasn't because it was unsuccessful. In fact, it was the most successful and longest running official field in this area ever. It would still be going if it weren't for the land owner (or more specifically, his new wife). There's a lot more that you can do, but this is the general jist of it all.

Remember, to make it work, especially in an area that hasn't had paintball previously, the rec players are going to make or break you. Most of them PREFER the woods - it's slower, has a lot more cover and they don't get hit nearly as often. For new players, it helps them feel safe. However, they ALWAYS end up playing on the speedball field at the end of the day. Eventually, you'll get a group that prefers the speedball field, and those that prefer the woods.

Reffing (fair reffing) is most necessary as well. It helps maintain order, and helps teach new people the rules. You don't need many refs in the woods, but 3-4 for the speedball fields for sure. We usually got away with just 2 or 3 but we were never super busy at any one time - just consistantly busy.

Most importantly, stay laid back and relaxed. We've had people come from areas with a lot of paintball fields and they tell us that when they play at our field, it's like a vacation with paintall. They say it's comfortable!

If you need to know anything else, I'll be glad to help!

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a guy that i used to teach martial arts to that said he can get me large and small co2 and nitro tanks either free or very cheap...he works for a company that make those containers

Thanks

king-man
04-28-2008, 06:02 PM
airups.com Has a reasonable price on bunkers, only about a $1-6k for nice sized fields. Sup Air i think is a little higher but still nice, But to start i would use something you can get free or cheap. Tires, Barrels, Wire Spools, or if you have a local Concrete place, our local field has a field made out of Part conrete part wood, sponsored by the local Meuth Concrete place
This also might help too (http://www.paintballfieldbuilder.com/)

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
O_O urban tactical meets woodsball

king-man
04-28-2008, 06:06 PM
justa heads up, that link i posted, the program wont run on my computer but i think its because of stupid MCE

IRStookmySpyder
04-28-2008, 06:10 PM
king-man- Has your field had anyone get hurt with the concrete yet? Because I know that is a big thing with starting a field is the insurance in case someone gets hurt and just paying the basic insurance that comes with a business.

king-man
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
the bunkers themselves are made of concrete, the field has been around 6+/- years