PDA

View Full Version : Forum Annoyance

cyberthrasher_706
04-27-2008, 04:02 PM
This is basically a pet-peave of mine, but it gets kinda old. You ever notice when you're on a forum for a long time there is, ever so often, a newcomer who fails to read previous posts to find the information they need and decides that nobody has ever had a problem like there's so they have to start a new thread and ask a question about it? I'm thinking back to a bunch of the forums I'm a member of and most of them have an "authorization period" where you have to wait before you can even post anything. Now in my mind this is kind of a perfect time to read through as many of the old posts as you can stand and learn more about the given forum subject so you actually have some knowledge and maybe even get the answer to all of your questions. This whole 5 or 6 posts in a row from the same guy who'll never be seen again after he gets his answers is really annoying.

Don't get me wrong, I always welcome newcomers to any group I'm a part of, but come on. If you're not going to take the time to try to figure something out than why should I help you? You obviously don't want to know that bad or you would've expended all your resources first before you came asking. I'm not really a bad guy, I just have no room for people who want everything handed to them. I have enough of that in real life.

DFSniper
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
i agree, but to play the devil's advocate, sometimes you "just don't think" and take the easiest route, which is asking for help first. i know thats what i did when i was 15 and had just started joining forums. plus, in the past, we've had a couple of dead thread revivals that always turned into flames. i think D pointed that out in another post a few days ago.

cyberthrasher_706
04-27-2008, 04:13 PM
sometimes you "just don't think" and take the easiest route, which is asking for help first.

That's likely the heart of my rant

vikingshadow
04-27-2008, 04:20 PM
That, or the new person has actually searched, but used words that didn't locate the topic. I know even to this day, I'll search for something that I KNOW has been discussed here previously, but just can't seem to locate it. Come to find out, I just searched the wrong phrase.

To back up the newcomers a bit, even longstanding members tend to ask the same flipping questions over and over. Including "Which gun _____________?" "What do you think is the best _________?" - basically the same polls that pop up every 3-6 months.

Either way, they are newcomers, and every forum has different rules. Remember, there are no rules about searching first, or using the stickies. If we didn't have these questions come up, then the forums wouldn't be any help!

cyberthrasher_706
04-27-2008, 04:31 PM
yeah, I know. I just had to rant because there's like 4 or 5 forums I've been bouncing in and out of all day, between playing paintball in my head here, doing computer tech stuff for work, and different things for school, and it's been haunting me all over. Normally I just let it go and say, "their just new, they'll get the hang of it" but felt the need to vent the subject. Like I said, nothing against new-comers in general.

On that note, I also understand that searching can be a royal pain as well. Like searching on here, you get hammered with threads that are 12 or 20 pages long with the only assurance being that your search term appears once in the whole thing, and usually just on a spec sheet. I know that gets frustrating pretty fast.

Vike, on another topic, where were did you find the internals for that trigger frame? ( I know that goes along the lines of this thread, but we both know how well searching that one helps. You got lucky:D )

DFSniper
04-27-2008, 05:04 PM
he bought them from AODSniper, who had a spare set.

on the searching topic, god forbid anyone tries to search pbn after 7:30 AM EST. thats the only time i've actually been able to get a search in.

vikingshadow
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
Vike, on another topic, where were did you find the internals for that trigger frame? ( I know that goes along the lines of this thread, but we both know how well searching that one helps. You got lucky:D )

Well, I kind of got lucky on two counts. I'm in the process of getting them from AODSniper which will get me the trigger and pins I wanted.

Secondly, my brother-in-law has an old Spyder Classic (before it became a classic) laying around for years that he "accidentally" left at my house a few weeks ago. I've sort of cannabalized it for other parts...:rolleyes:

He told me I could have it once he got another gun, but I figured with the death of our local field, he'll probably not play anytime soon, sooooooo I just happened to "check to see if they actually fit" in my new frame...Once I get AOD's stuff, I'll put all his parts back in his frame and pretend I didn't do anything with them.

So in theory, I have the parts/am getting the parts, but technically, I don't have any of the internals YET. You're right, they're dang hard to find!

Did you happen to get a frame yet?

irishwarrior
04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
i agree whole-heartedly with all the on-topic things that have been said here. Though, I do remember being a newb here once. I was glad that no one gave me a hard time, and it took 2 or so years of being here to even be able to answer a good portion of the questions asked (I'll give you a hint, the first words of my answer are usually "Go to the...thread"

bigred76
04-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Haha, being on here as long as I have, it gets annoying at times. I just shrug it off and realize that I was not so different at one point (boy, I was an idiot back then! I remember one time I PM'd Shunut and tried wrongly correcting him about a TLR front block/expansion chamber, telling him to change the description to a regulator! LOL! Poor Josh shrugged it off and told me what it was, but thanks for the concern...) and just answer the poor guy's question to the best of my ability. :shrug: It's just my nature to go with the flow and tolerate people, to a point. If it gets too much and there is a bunch of idiocy pervading a forum, I simply avoid it and spend my time elsewhere (like PBN looking through B/S/T... I'm horrible with money when it comes to paintball, lol!).

druid
04-28-2008, 12:26 AM
1. (boy, I was an idiot back then!)

2. It's just my nature to go with the flow and tolerate people, to a point.

3. If it gets too much and there is a bunch of idiocy pervading a forum, I simply avoid it and spend my time elsewhere (like PBN looking through B/S/T.

1. Whaddya mean "back then?" You say that as if you've stopped :p ...

2. Uh huh...roight...:rolleyes:

3. PFFFFFFFFFT......yeah right. And the Jeopardy final question is: ::ding::
Q: "What is the definition of berrate?"
A: Tim's typical response to a NOOB question that might have been asked more than once in a Millenia."

LOL...on a serious note...no one listens anymore...to their parents, teachers of the police. What makes anyone think they people care about forum rules when that forum only bans a username and not an IP address? I won't mention current user names either ;) ...but do you see my point?

Hossy
04-28-2008, 05:00 AM
we were all nubs at one point or another. Just like Big Red, I know I posted something rediculasly stupid.... and when VWJimmy Told me i was wrong, i was about to go haywire on him. Little did I know, he was right. I was just too caught up into myself being so smart in PB with the people I play with, and then now I see how stupid they are.... and how stupid I was too.

Now I know what the hell im talking about.... So never argue with me :)

also this forum brings alot of kids who got their spyder for a present or something, and are just starting paintball. some kids must be 10 years old, and do they even know how to use the computer in some cases? no. so atleast they had the time to post a question, rather them bash spyder cause they cant take care of their stuff

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Well im alot older then 10 but that was one of my problems is I was and still am fairly computer illiterit(SP) and have a horrible time with spelling LOL.
I know when I was starting i thiought somone would jump on me becasue i didnt know really how to navigate around the forums let alone search properly ect. My solution to this (After someone explained i could do it) was PM's until I could figure a little more about how things worked. The two people who helped me alot were Wydel and Chnk.

But enough about them days lets get back onto the more recent topics. My forum annoyance would have to be when im lookin through the threads to see what questions I can help with repetative or not and for a wial it seemed, I was CONSTANTLY running into threads where a vetern member gave there .02 cents about a newer members question, then in return they were jumped all over by the noobs because they didnt like the responce. WTF then they wonder why no one wants to answear there questions. Thats what gets me. Im not sure why this forum seems like it has gained such hatred (thats kinda a strong choice of words) for fellow members. I am only really active in 2 forums this one and the Mil-sim Empire. To be honest I have never once seen a thread that has turned this way. Why is it so prevelant here?

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Hmmm, I haven't seen this thread. Had I known this was happening, I could have/would have stopped it. Of course, sometimes some people are more patient than others, so jumping on people may seem different to others.

Hossy
04-28-2008, 10:11 AM
also something I want to add is a forum in this case is to provide answers for people with problems. That is the main goal, the rest is just fun. You have to expect people to come here with problems and ask. Its why spyder pays for it. SO, saying that, if you dont like nubs asking for help, then why hang around?

bigred76
04-28-2008, 11:16 AM
1. Whaddya mean "back then?" You say that as if you've stopped :p ...

2. Uh huh...roight...:rolleyes:

3. PFFFFFFFFFT......yeah right. And the Jeopardy final question is: ::ding::
Q: "What is the definition of berrate?"
A: Tim's typical response to a NOOB question that might have been asked more than once in a Millenia."

Talking about jumping on members! :tongue:

1.) If I remember correctly, I'm asked by you certain things of which I won't list to destroy the validity of any answers henceforth from you. ;)

2.) Ya rly! I'm not that bad!

3.) Only sometimes.... ;)

Now I know what the hell im talking about.... So never argue with me
Bull ****! I call bull ****!

Hmmm, I haven't seen this thread. Had I known this was happening, I could have/would have stopped it. Of course, sometimes some people are more patient than others, so jumping on people may seem different to others.
Nope, couldn't have. You're not a mod in that forum, but it was squelched fairly well. *pats self on back*

SO, saying that, if you dont like nubs asking for help, then why hang around?
No, you can't kick me out yet! *grabs a hold of seat* You can't make me! :dodgy:

I answer them if they're ****s or not. They come here and want an answer to they're problems, I'll give it to them. If they don't like it, tough **** for them. If they do and it works for them, I'm cool with that as well.

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Well as Red said not your call in those situations that was a few weeks back it lasted probably for about 3 weeks or so but then the situation kinda was put in it's place so to speak and recently there has not bein anything like that. I hope there isnt either. It was more then one thread, and I dont normaly jump to conclusions unessissarly. But IMO it was uncalled for in a place like this.

Personaly I like when I can help people, even if sometimes the questions are repetative. When i have trouble I apreciate when people give me a fast good responce, or at least a different take on the matter. So if I can I like to return that in kind.

cyberthrasher_706
04-28-2008, 12:06 PM
also something I want to add is a forum in this case is to provide answers for people with problems. That is the main goal, the rest is just fun. You have to expect people to come here with problems and ask. Its why spyder pays for it. SO, saying that, if you dont like nubs asking for help, then why hang around?
Now, now. Please remember, I posted it as an annoyance at the moment in order to vent the frustration at the time. I live to help people and usually enjoy it. I agree with what everyone has said here. I'm allowed to vent, just as everyone else is. That's why I never made any accusations to individuals or anything because it wasn't directed at anyone. I Just mentioned an overall situation. Like I said, I'm a nice guy and I like to help people but we all have our moments of stress as well.

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Nope, couldn't have. You're not a mod in that forum, but it was squelched fairly well. *pats self on back*
Well as Red said not your call in those situations that was a few weeks back it lasted probably for about 3 weeks or so but then the situation kinda was put in it's place so to speak and recently there has not bein anything like that. I hope there isnt either. It was more then one thread, and I dont normaly jump to conclusions unessissarly. But IMO it was uncalled for in a place like this.

Wait, this didn't happen in these forums? In that case - sorry for sticking my nose in. If it was here, I can mod in all the forums, so I'm a little confused...I wasn't trying to butt in, we just try to keep the peace around here - it if goes to far, we do butt in and try to stop it. I am glad you guys took care of it yourselves though!

I was just curious because I didn't recall any difficulty like you mentioned.

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm lost. There are far too many pronouns and generalities in this thread for me to begin to understand wtf is going on.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 02:46 PM
lol, claus is a noob.

vike, about to send you a pm of the thread in question.

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
:dodgy: yes I'm teh noob. any1 want claustrophobia amg!? I can haz include 6inch dropforward and PVC barrel 4 u. but seriously... wtf is going on.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
dammit, my friend wanted an amg but bought an mr1 saturday. :nododgy:

claus's TL;DR:

basically cyberthrasher is annoyed about noobs posting the same help threads over and over again.

or did you mean about what tim mentioned??

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 03:56 PM
I got the main post, but vike, tim,hossy and you have been confusing me.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 04:04 PM
http://spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16278

basically half the thread consists of an argument about the legalities of full auto, and in another thread, the same guy got in an argument about barrel length.

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 04:18 PM
That makes more sense now, I've been trying to hit other subforums other than NPT, pics and polls but apparently others do a better job than I do.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
yeah, i used to be just like that, but lately i've just been hitting "New Posts" and going from there.

This forum requires that you wait 45 seconds between posts. Please try again in 5 seconds. :smash:

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Hahaha, I try to cover all the new posts, but that particular one got by me as well - the fact that it's multipage makes me wonder how I actually missed it!

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Hahaha, I try to cover all the new posts, but that particular one got by me as well - the fact that it's multipage makes me wonder how I actually missed it!

40 post/page?

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 05:25 PM
I have it set on default - I hate scrolling down several posts at a time to find the newest post in the thread.

bigred76
04-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I do as well, anything more and my net goes crazy if it's slow.

This is the other thread:
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15962&highlight=rap4

You should be able to see a post in that thread that the others shouldn't, Vike. ;) 3rd page, if I remember right.

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Hahahahaha! Ok, where was I during this whole time? I kind of remember that particular thread, but didn't see that post.

Even the deleted message says that I should read it because it was funny - I have to admit, I laughed out loud on that one! Took me by surprise!

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I do as well, anything more and my net goes crazy if it's slow.

This is the other thread:
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15962&highlight=rap4

You should be able to see a post in that thread that the others shouldn't, Vike. ;) 3rd page, if I remember right.

Page 1 :dodgy:

PM me what it says OMG.

ct333
04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
as a response to cyberthrashers first post i think that this forum is to help people and whats so bad about a new post? honestly just ignore it DumbA**

bigred76
04-28-2008, 06:37 PM
Whoa whoa whoa... Who are you and why do you say something like that? Reported, that is unacceptable here on these boards.

Hoppy11
04-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey now.. voicing your opinion is allowed here but with in our rules. Flaming other members is not allowed. He was just pointed out anyone in particular in this thread, he was just pointed out the fact that thread get redundant which they do. If you have the ability to ignore than great you can keep that to yourself and not directed to wards other members of the board.

Stay on topic guys.. maybe we will think of something to keep these redundant thread to a minimum.

HelpDeskHustler
04-28-2008, 06:42 PM
epic irony. Settle down bud. It's the internet, not a WWE "match" or "show" or whatever. Just be like fonzie. You know what fonzie is like? He's cool. so lets all just be cool.

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 06:47 PM
AAAAAAH

Wow he came out of no where with that one, i agree with what most every one said here

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah, that came out of nowhere...

epic irony. Settle down bud. It's the internet, not a WWE "match" or "show" or whatever. Just be like fonzie. You know what fonzie is like? He's cool. so lets all just be cool.

eeeeeeyyyyy!

irishwarrior
04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
huh.

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 07:46 PM
LOL...on a serious note...no one listens anymore...to their parents, teachers of the police. What makes anyone think they people care about forum rules when that forum only bans a username and not an IP address? I won't mention current user names either ;) ...but do you see my point?

This could help solve the situation? If there was something more to keep the same clowns from continually coming back.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
for the most part. with an IP ban, you can't log on/register from your house. but yeah, i can think of a few too...

cyberthrasher_706
04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Wow, I haven't been called that in a long time. Wait, my wife just said that like 20 minutes ago. I can't think of anything else to say that won't hurt my feelers in the future.

To the rest of you. I appreciate the civil way you have bashed me (JK :D ). Seriously, To all of you guys, and any new guys that are perusing this trying to get a feel for everyone, I like to think that we're all a fairly tight group on here. I really appreciate the comments to politely snap me out of my ranting moment, as well as the immediate back up on the above situation.

Mods, If this keeps getting out of hand feel free to delete. I never meant for anyone to feel like I was talking about them. It's just an open discussion.

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Nah, I think it's a decent thread - if we can keep a civil tongue, that is. So far, with a couple exceptions, this has gone quite well. Only been a little off topic, and definitely no harm being done.

We just need to let the new guys know that despite what's being said here, we don't hold anything against the for being new - either to the sport, or to this forum, or even both. There's a learning curve, and at the beginning it's very steep. After awhile, it evens out. There isn't any real cure for the issue, but patience. Until then, my biggest suggestion is to get your complaints out here and not take it out on the new guys. Otherwise, just ignore that thread. It's better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth (or type) and prove it!

Well done, most of you!

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Personaly I think this is a great thread I think its about time that an open disscussion like this was created with alot of open imput from ALL leveals of members from Noobs to Vets with alot of healthy imput from the Mods. I mean if its a problem and a growing situation why not deal with it before it snowballs?

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
:yeahthat:

bigred76
04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
LOL! You need to stick around a bit longer yerself, Cyber! That wasn't long enough to be called a "rant," and this thread isn't OT enough for a lock/deletion yet. ;)

Honestly, I don't get why people come back after they've been banned. It's like... OT invasions on PBN. What the hell are these people thinking? My conclusion is that they are not, and haven't since their momma dropped them on their head from their cradle. :rolleyes:

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 08:12 PM
:stupid:

tim's a noob... :dodgy:

on a serious note, yeah, you haven't seen any of vikes rants (or old posts). they make me wish i had a scroll wheel on my mouse!

cyberthrasher_706
04-28-2008, 08:13 PM
For me, a "rant" is basically when I just start typing without really paying attention. Yes, I've seen the rants you refer to, but I usually prefer to keep things somewhat short otherwise they end up being about 3 or 4 different things. I also usually look at both sides of a situation without voicing my own, so sometimes I end up briefly voicing them. But, it does look like there are some feelings about it either way so......

cyberthrasher_706
04-28-2008, 08:16 PM
oh yeah, regarding Vike's rants, I use the Darkside theme and grab me a Black Butte, or Obsidian Stout and go for it. But, then again, I do have a scroll mouse, with 6 buttons. I can navigate through anything, hahahahaha (that was my cheesy psycho laugh)

bigred76
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
LOL! Heck, I had a couple good ones in that full auto thread.... Get me upset enough, and I just keep typing. ;) They have to be four para's or longer to be consider a true rant IMO.

Of course I am, Sascha, I'm the biggest nube of them all. :dodgy:

I agree, Slim. It hasn't come up in a while, but it is an issue when it does. I notice that it happens more in the MR section than any other, too. The rest of them are pretty lax, with the lone exception of that other debate in the VS2 forums.

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
red that was a massive rant on that one ....... i never saw until today

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Where the heck all you guys bein? WTF :confused:

vikingshadow
04-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Psssh, you guys are all nubs when it comes to the full blown rant. Throwing a couple of curses out and typing a paragraph or two or three? Kid's stuff... :rolleyes:

My rants are works of ART, I'm here to tell ya! It's been a long time since the last one - maybe I need to get one worked up for old time's sake! The true skill comes in the fact that it only takes me a few minutes to type all that stuff - with hardly a misspelled word in it, hahaha! :p

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 08:31 PM
:D that i would love to see

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah I agree Vike and Red should go at it. :D

Now THAT would be entertaining!

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes yes it would i think it would be funny enough to actually get it televized

druid
04-28-2008, 10:37 PM
If a full blown Vike rant is what you want...I can accomplish that for you.

I'll make an entire post of every light colored font there is to use...and the response will be just ugly.......LMAO!!!

irishwarrior
04-29-2008, 03:06 AM
I think we should have a rant contest in the poll section.

HelpDeskHustler
04-29-2008, 03:41 AM
I think we should have a rant contest in the poll section.

You'd think Vike would win but he wouldn't surprisingly.

XSiv Force
04-29-2008, 09:19 AM
That would be kinda funny

bigred76
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
We'll see, we'll see... ;)

slim and shady
04-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Please do not avoid the swear filter. Red looks like your rep is failin you! Looks like I may have to create a "Why a 20+ inch barrel is so much better then 14" and under" thread! :D

bigred76
04-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Haha, I never had a reputation, or at least, none that I know of. :confused: Too much of an ******* for a good one, LOL!

DFSniper
04-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Looks like I may have to create a "Why a 20+ inch barrel is so much better then 14" and under" thread! :D
i was seriously thinking about it, but i dont have the patience to write one up...

slim and shady
04-30-2008, 08:39 AM
tsk tsk - you must NOT avoid the swear filter. Please don't do it again.

Thanks! The management!