PDA

View Full Version : thread size confusion

vincenzo
04-25-2008, 08:22 PM
OK... here's the deal... I'm messing with my Aggressor XT and wanting to put some different parts on it. I put on a drop forward ASA with a regulator, which seems to have the same hose threads as the original ASA. Those hose threads are NOT the same as the hose threads that go into the gun. I bought an angled fitting that was 1/8 NPT, and that didn't fit on the regulator, so I know that isn't the size. What is the thread size on the ASA end of the hose??
I wish people selling parts would be more specific about what thread sizes they were. I'm getting frustrated trying to collect all the parts I need to finish my gun.

Oops... I posted in the electronic section originally, so now posted here.

bigred76
04-25-2008, 08:33 PM
It's the metric equivilent. ;) You'll need a Metric to Standard adapter, sold by HobbyHorse on these forums (or anywhere else, I just reccommend Hobby highly for anything to do with macroline or anything else his store (www.macrolineguy.com) carries!) to be able to use that angled fitting. As for the specific size, give me a minute or two and I will edit this post if it's what I think it is (need to check for certain).

EDIT: Ok, it is what I thought, M8 threading. http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=223 <~~ that thread has all the screw sizes you've ever wanted to know, I got the size for the threading you needed from the Flash LCD list as it had it on it, and they're all the same pretty much on Spyders.

vincenzo
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Thanks bigred. Why couldn't they make things easy, and make the threads on both ends the same?? Now I need to buy 2 different metric -> 1/8 NPT
I always see the adapter for the gun end of the hose (10x1.25, I believe), but where would be a good place to find the other adapter?

vincenzo
04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Hello?

DFSniper
04-27-2008, 02:28 PM
i'm a little confused as to what you're asking. are you using the stock hose? if your gun end is 1/8th NPT, which it should be, then your ASA end is metric (assuming your hose follows standard Kingman hose design). i'm assuming you bought a spyder bottomline regulator, and you said that doesnt have 1/8th NPT threading because an aftermarket fitting won't fit? so that means it should have standard spyder metric threading, and your regular hose should screw right in. give it another try, but don't force it if you see the fitting/hose start to angle away instead of screwing straight in.

vincenzo
04-27-2008, 07:50 PM
i'm a little confused as to what you're asking. are you using the stock hose? if your gun end is 1/8th NPT, which it should be, then your ASA end is metric (assuming your hose follows standard Kingman hose design). i'm assuming you bought a spyder bottomline regulator, and you said that doesnt have 1/8th NPT threading because an aftermarket fitting won't fit? so that means it should have standard spyder metric threading, and your regular hose should screw right in. give it another try, but don't force it if you see the fitting/hose start to angle away instead of screwing straight in.

No, the original hose is trash, and I was looking to get a standard hose with 1/8 NPT on both ends. I can find the adapter for the gun end of the hose (10-1.25 to 1/8 NPT), but I can't find an adapter for the regulator end (M8, I'm told) to make it 1/8 NPT also.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 03:37 AM
edit: nevermind, i was tired when i wrote that.

i'm not 100% sure, but if i read the description correctly, that the metric end of the adapter is the male end, so that end should screw straight into the reg, and give you a 1/8th NPT opening for your macroline or steel braided hose. so you should only need ONE adapter, since the threading into the gun is already 1/8th NPT.

vincenzo
04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
edit: nevermind, i was tired when i wrote that.

i'm not 100% sure, but if i read the description correctly, that the metric end of the adapter is the male end, so that end should screw straight into the reg, and give you a 1/8th NPT opening for your macroline or steel braided hose. so you should only need ONE adapter, since the threading into the gun is already 1/8th NPT.

The metric end of the adapter that is readily available is the male end, and that is the end that screws into the gun itself (10x1.25). That would make that (hose) end 1/8 NPT.
Next... the other end is entirely different threading. On the original ASA, and also on the regulator I bought, the threads that end of the hose goes into is M8 (so I'm told). That is the adapter I'm looking for. M8 male convert to 1/8 NPT female. That way I can have a new standard hose with 1/8 NPT males on both ends (or macroline if I so desire).
:confused:

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 07:02 PM
ok, the hole going INTO the gun is metric threaded, right? get and adapter for that end.

is this the same style reg you bought?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/claustrophobia9/ac1fce49.jpg[/QUOTE]

that has 1/8th threading (you can tell by the macro fitting) so you shouldnt need an adapter. if you do, THEN you need to get another M8 male adapter.

vincenzo
04-28-2008, 07:07 PM
http://www.mem-co.com/pdf/Memco_Cat_May13.pdf

I may be onto something. Scroll about 3/4 down, and look at line 89... "M8 to 1/8 (F)" ... the piece is just above it. I believe that may be what I need. Down a little farther there is a "90 L Adapters Male to Female" section, they also have the same adapter in 90 form "M8 to 1/8FL". Does this look like it would work to you guys?? The M8 end is M8x1.25 Would (or could) it be something other than 1.25? That was the only M8 I could find.

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 07:09 PM
http://www.google.com/products?q=metric+adapter+spyder&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en&show=dd

this is what you'd want.

vincenzo
04-28-2008, 07:16 PM
ok, the hole going INTO the gun is metric threaded, right? get and adapter for that end.

is this the same style reg you bought?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/claustrophobia9/ac1fce49.jpg

that has 1/8th threading (you can tell by the macro fitting) so you shouldnt need an adapter. if you do, THEN you need to get another M8 male adapter.[/QUOTE]

That reg looks similar, and it had the same threading as the original asa. I bought a couple 1/8 NPT elbows, and they didn't fit those threads. That's what made me think it was something else.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SPYDER-PRESSURE-REGULATOR-KIT_W0QQitemZ180235604253QQihZ008QQcategoryZ87119Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
When refering to threading, is 1/8 always 1/8 NPT?

DFSniper
04-28-2008, 07:23 PM
yep, thats standard threading for about 95% of all paintball gun hoses. the only other ones are spyder's M8 metric, and a few random brass eagle/jt hoses. and that ebay link is just and aftermarket spyder reg, the same ones the AMG, electra dx, flash lcd and shutter use. im almost 100% sure that its 1/8th npt.

vincenzo
04-28-2008, 07:35 PM
Take a look at this adapter...
http://item.express.ebay.com/Sporting-Goods_Paintball__Spyder-Paintball-gun-Metric-to-US-thread-Hose-Adapter_W0QQitemZ160191504440QQihZ006QQddnZSportin gQ20GoodsQQadnZPaintballQQptdiZ744QQddiZ577QQcmdZE xpressItem
Is this the same as the M8 adapter you speak of?

DFSniper
04-29-2008, 03:10 AM
yep

vincenzo
04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I wonder what the heck those people sent me when I ordered a 90 and a 45 angle fitting. They wouldn't thread into the regulator. Now I'm pissed. They said they were 1/8 NPT. Because of that, I've been searching for answers that I already should have known. :mad: Now I just need a new hose. Thanks sniper.

DFSniper
04-29-2008, 04:32 PM
no problem, thats what we're here for.

vincenzo
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Take a look at this adapter...
http://item.express.ebay.com/Sporting-Goods_Paintball__Spyder-Paintball-gun-Metric-to-US-thread-Hose-Adapter_W0QQitemZ160191504440QQihZ006QQddnZSportin gQ20GoodsQQadnZPaintballQQptdiZ744QQddiZ577QQcmdZE xpressItem
Is this the same as the M8 adapter you speak of?

LOL... I'm not having good luck. I ordered this adapter, and it came in the mail today. It's opposite of what I need!!! It has 1/8 MALE and metric FEMALE. I really wish these people would be more clear about what they are selling. Am I wrong, or does his description seem inaccurate??

DFSniper
04-30-2008, 01:39 PM
hmm, now that i reread the description, it makes sense. it turns your metric hose end into a 1/8th NPT end.