PDA

View Full Version : Potential MR2 Buyer

Solo842
04-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Hello, I am a newbie to the paintball sport and have only gone twice. I am thinking of buying the new 08 MR2 as my first marker, but have also been thinking about the Smart Parts SP1 as a first. Unlike my cousin who runs with a Ion i want a woodsball gun, thats fast and reliable. In your honest opinion, what marker should i get? I am leaning towards the MR2 because it has eyes and is faster than the sp1 but its an older blowback design instead of a electropneumatic. Other factors play in my decision, so i just need some outside input. thanks for all the help.

KingTutBaller
04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Both are pretty good choices. I'm not an expert on Smart parts markers, so I'm not sure how hard it is to maintain... but if it's your first marker, a Spyder is always a safe choice. I like the look of the MR2 over the SP1, and the offset feedneck on the MR2 makes the rail alot more useful, where as the SP1 has a vertical feedneck.
I love how quiet the SP1's are compared to the MR series. If you wanna hide in some brush and play a sneakier role, you might like the SP1 better. It's like comparing someone slamming a door to opening a can of Pepsi. If you're all about full-auto rock'n'roll and assault type play where the noise isn't an issue, the MR2 can be a beast.

Best bet is to find a local pro shop or field that will let you test both markers, and see which you like the feel of more.

Also, alot of people here seem to have 'out-of-the-box' problems with their MR2's, leading to many threads on this forum about pre-play set-up. If you want a marker you can take outta the box and right onto the field, you may have better luck with the SP1 than some of the people here have had with their MRs. (I personally had no issues with any of my MRs outside of the regular break in period.) Hope this gave a bit of insight, but all in all, you'll have to go and test them yourself and see which one suits you best, if possible.

Good luck in your decision.

slim and shady
04-25-2008, 07:32 PM
To elaberate on what king is saying, the break in period is for the older MR2 with the ACS bolt. THe new one with eye doesnt have any emediate attention issues that i know of. At least I never had any with mine. I think a spyder is a good choice for a first marker because of its simplicity. That would be my choice.

Solo842
04-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies, ive read the comments about the MR2 from this forum and on PB review, most people agree that the MR2 with some work " hopper, Detents, etc.." can be a Great marker. im not overly concerned about maintenance as i am about performance, I will try what King suggested and ill try the MR2 and SP1 at the proshop here. But if they shoot anything like my cousins Ion or my friends MR1, i think ill settle with the MR2. The Shroud just concerns me a whole lot, i havent seen anything that can just Extend the breach to the end of the shroud. Some people take the shroud off, others Mill their barrels to fit.

slim and shady
04-25-2008, 09:08 PM
others get custom shrouds :D

slim and shady
04-25-2008, 09:09 PM
by the way welcome to the forums

chrisjb82
04-26-2008, 05:44 AM
I'd have to agree with what king said... they are both really good. I have never used an SP1 but have played next to someone that has and those things are so quiet!! I thought they were pretty cool, good setup supposedly an easy "out of the box" marker. I have an older MR2 that had problems with some chopping with the acs bolt and blow back so I had to put some time and money into it to get it working better but I really love it as a marker. It is a good begginers marker as well as a possible higher end marker with time and money put into it. Like you and king said, see if you can compare the two and figure out which you would like better. Don't forget that its not just how it shoots but as well as how easy it is to maintane the marker as well. There wouldn't be anything worse than to get one and have a terrible time trying to figure out how to take care of it!! Just my 2 cents!! Have fun!!

Solo842
04-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the welcome shady looking forward to seeing your project finished. as for trying the MR2 and SP1 Im going today to the Proshop and see if i like either of them.

Solo842
04-28-2008, 05:53 AM
Hey all, went to the proshop yesterday and when i went there they had a SP1 hanging on the wall, i asked if i could air it up and fire it. The people were really cool, and allowed me to fire a few rounds at the chrono, The SP1 is really quiet and really acurate with the stock barrel, but since i used a gravity hopper and their cheap paint, it chopped a few on select fire. Sadly they did not have a MR2wEyes, but a person waiting there had his MR2, I asked and he allowed me to try it. HEAVY compared to the light SP1, I tried the fire modes on it and it performed well. Both guns i really liked and both were great when i tried them. The SP1 i think can make a great sprint gun, hit and run like hell tatics. The MR2 was more of a battle rifle, something i can lay down cover fire and pick people off. some people at the Proshop were asking why are you thinking of geting an MR2 the SP1 is more upgradeable, and more affordable. i said both markers are great and both fit my style of play. Some people shared their opinons about both, the general thought was that the SP1 could be the Next ion for Mill sim type of players, Great out of the box. The MR2 is a newbish gun, looks cool, but theres a reason why a few people gun with one. I really cant pick between the two. i was thinking about just geting an MR2 and then if i dont like it sell it and get an SP1. Both were great.

VS3 Sniper
04-28-2008, 07:38 AM
I would go with the sp1. To my knowledge the sp1 is lighter than the mr2 and ur going to be playin woodsball so u won't need to shoot 20 bps. I have actually been looking to buy an sp1 aswell. Not to mention they can shoot under water!

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 08:13 AM
The water part sounds cool but i woudl go with the Mr2 with eye mostly for me because of the ofset feedneck I hate having that vertical feed right in the way.

chrisjb82
04-28-2008, 03:48 PM
under water? never heard of that. it sounds cool, but why would you ever need to shoot from under water!? :confused:

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
:questionicon: :thinking: Vs your going to have to explain to me how shooting under water helps you? :D

mr1 sniper
04-28-2008, 06:31 PM
rain? and just braggin:D :p

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 06:34 PM
i guess he must have done some type of Rambo stuff where he stands up out of the water and annihilates an entire army

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 06:34 PM
actually I can think of one time it would have bein very useful! the refs threw our hour objective into a pond on the corse! submerge attackin some poor sucker when he went to get it, pricless!!

XSiv Force
04-28-2008, 06:36 PM
right :dodgy:

slim and shady
04-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Yeah we were very suprised they threw it in there guys were all trin to ditch there electronic gear and guns to get in there after it before the other team came for it and were shooting at us!

cyberthrasher_706
04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
The water part sounds cool but i woudl go with the Mr2 with eye mostly for me because of the ofset feedneck I hate having that vertical feed right in the way.
Yeah, that's a big one. I also think the only reason they tried telling you that the SP1 is more upgradeable is because of the rails all over it (correct me if I'm wrong, I had never seen one before until I just googled it). Good news is, look at the picture threads here and you'll see that you can put rails all over an MR too, if you want. I've noticed that alot of people/shops don't recognize the spyder as an actual marker. They kind of treat it like a toy. Most of the time I go into the only local shop left I get treated like I don't know anything. Then I beat them with my $65 mr1 vs. their $1000+ marker and that's that. I say spyder, because they're reliable when cared for (sometimes when not) and easy to repair. Trust me, these things are tanks.

slim and shady
04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
:yeahthat:

Solo842
04-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. Im going to Get the MR2w Eyes for 180.00 and a 85/3000 HPA tank for 90 at the Proshop here. Just a few more questions? and when i get my Marker and play with it for a few days ill put up a video review on it and condense some of the information on this board in a video series.
1. Can the Apex barrel system fit on any Barrel not just the stock one it comes with?
2. When you put a red dot on the 3/8 Dovetail rail, can you see through it with the mask on, or do you have to modify the stock.
3. When you remove the stock, what do you use to plug the open end? I heard barrel plugs work great.

slim and shady
04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
1. Yes it fits on other barrels, you can use the underground mod adapter or electrical tape, I have mine on my empire barrel kit
2. Most people midify the stock, or you could buy a new stock like the commando or saw. that gives your head a little more room. To start if you want just cut the top of your stock.
3. i dont plug it, but whatever floats your boat.

cyberthrasher_706
04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
3. i dont plug it, but whatever floats your boat.hmmmm, that almost begs to be sigged.

pulling head out of gutter now, I do plug my bolt hole. I cut off the end of the original stock (get ready for a pain from the metal that's inside of it, yeah, it's there.) and painted it black again. Screw goes in, orings seal. Looks like it was made to be there because it was. If you want I can post pictures of that later.

slim and shady
05-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Good idea

cyberthrasher_706
05-01-2008, 05:36 PM
Here's the pictures I promised, from a few different angles. You see a little bump on the plug, that's just because I didn't feel like filing it down smooth. Really didn't see the point. It's actually more noticeable in the picture than it is in person. If I want to remove the plug, just unscrew and use the bolt to pop it out.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/mkmewes/5L4Y3R/Paintball/DSCN0760.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q30/mkmewes/5L4Y3R/Paintball/DSCN0761.jpg

slim and shady
05-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Looks good.

Solo842
05-01-2008, 06:10 PM
is that the JCS folding stock... How does that work out for ya. i was thinking of ordering one bc it attaches to the Velocity set screw, and not the Bolt tube. and i think im just gona see what i do with that open hole in the back when the marker gets to the shop.
i also was thinking about this stock.RAP4 Stock (http://rap4.com/paintball/os/spyder-paintball-skeleton-butt-stock-p-3778.html/)
I wish someone had a G36 stock, but theyre all for tippmanns and stuff.

cyberthrasher_706
05-01-2008, 06:34 PM
I love my stock, it's so comfy. Lightweight, tuff, extends long enough for my arms so I don't have to make do. The velocity adjuster kicks butt. I couldn't see the rap4 stock you linked cuz they supposedly moved it but I'm still operating under my RAP4 ban. So, no go there. In case you're wondering, see that camera I have (check the mr1 picture thread for more detail of it), It originally sold for 85ish, now you can find it for 30 - 40. it's the Oregon Scientific ATC-1000. Rap 4 has the "LandWarrior camera" for $250, which if you look closely is the exact same thing, even says "Oregon Scientific" on it still. I can't condone business practices like that. I know re-labeling happens all the time but that's just downright retarded and I won't stand for it. Sorry, yeah, I recommend anything from JCS. The RVA that comes with the stock is alot better than the factory one as well.