PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. Console

kramernator
04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
i was just wondering the pros and cons of each, i want to know which people think is better

i know this has the potential to be locked, i don't want to start a big flame war, and if it does become a flame war, then by all means, please lock the thread

i just want this to be a normal discussion about which people think is better and for what reasons, dont just say,

oh, well i like PCs
or
consoles all the way

now, for me, i greatly prefer a PC over a console. although it is more expensive (in the short run) the graphics are (and always will be) better and the online experience is better.

plus a mouse and keyboard can do much more that a contoller, watch people play quake 4 on a console, then on a pc. the pc one will be much more up beat, moving faster, and just much more intense.

now what do you guys think, no flames!!!

DFSniper
04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
i agree. the only thing i like about consoles is easier multiplayer, but at the same time, i hate split screen.

i have too many hobbies. i plan on spending another $250 on my guns (just ups, no new guns) $70 on mask parts, and about $300 on pc parts (graphics card, cpu, and gaming mouse...

i cant play any fast paced shooter games on consoles because it takes too long to aim. we were having a lan party at my friend's house, and someone brought over their xbox, so we played a few rounds of halo. the sensitivity on the joysticks were all the way up, and my friend and i still had trouble aiming because it was going so slow...

XSiv Force
04-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Well there are benefits to both
PCs are able to do alot more than consoles (internet, etc.)
Consoles are able to have more than one person able to play the same game without having to have another computer setup

Ive got both
Xbox 360 and a Velocity Gaming Comp.

kramernator
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
we were having a lan party at my friend's house

i can only dream about LAN parties, every time i bring up this topic with my friends,(who all use consoles) they just shoot me down, mostly with bs and lame comebacks that are based on nothing, so now i don't even bring it up, i just wish i could find a way to hook up my keyboard and mouse to their xbox and show them whats up:D

but i do have to say, i like being able to go to a friends house, plop down on the couch with some food and a few friends and play split screen against them

DFSniper
04-21-2008, 08:01 PM
hell yeah, Dawn of War, UT2004, CS:S, BF2142 and WoW 'til 10 in the mornings!

what games do you play? i canceled my wow account because it got boring again, so most days i just play 2142.

kramernator
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
WOW, all i can say is BORING, its just a slow downbeat game, i one of my favorite games is quake 4, the multi player is awesome, its such a fast moving game.... and the whole battlefield series is pretty good, BF, 1942, Vietnam, 2142 and so on.

Muddytaco
04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
A few I think of right away:

PC

Pros:
-Larger multiplayer games
-controls better for shooting games
-3rd party mods and add ons
-Have possibility to look better

Cons:
-have to deal with driver issues, sometimes resulting in updating to upgrading
-can't drive cars worth a crap with the keyboard
-games are not drop in and go
-seem to have more bugs then console games
-can't play multiplayer off of one pc (offline)

Console

Pros:
-games are drop and go
-don't have to worry if the system will keep up
-games usually come with less bugs then pc
-easier to make friend list, live has private chats
-achievements on 360 make you want to play more or find hidden items
-multiplayer off of one console (offline)

Cons:
-No 3rd party mods/forced to buy add ons
-multiplayer games are limited to smaller number of players
-controls aren't as good as mouse and keyboard for shooting games

DFSniper
04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
-can't drive cars worth a crap with the keyboard
i used to be able too, but now my hands have gotten bigger and cramp up after 5 minutes. so i got a cheap usb controller, its the only way i can really play carbon.

krashtestdummie
04-21-2008, 09:35 PM
i just wish i could find a way to hook up my keyboard and mouse to their xbox and show them whats up:D

I think your looking for something like:
This (http://www.xcmlive.com/cgi-bin/xcmlive/engine.pl?function=viewid&id=RKS000142&cat=XBOX360-CABLES%20AND%20ADAPTERS)

HelpDeskHustler
04-22-2008, 03:30 AM
It should be noted that consoles nearly guarantee that you buy one set of cheap, pretty good hardware and you have games made that work for it for like 3-4 years. It's a lot simpler for developers to only have hardware changes every 4 years rather than every second of every day. Hence the bugs taco mentioned. It's much less hassle for devs to worry about programming for something that hardly changes than it is for something that's constantly getting more cores and different architecture. With the advent of assisted development like dev kit computers and microsoft's xna suite it's much easier to ensure a game will work on console than it is in windows.

I use xbox 360 as an example mainly because almost all significant PC games are for windows, and since microsoft has CREATED a machine specifically for games and an operating system designed for these games, I feel it's neccessary to draw a comparison and show why microsoft would build this machine aside from the obvious game royalties and write permissions that they cash in on.