PDA

View Full Version : Woodsballin'

ikon
04-19-2008, 05:30 PM
So I paintballed with my friends a couple of times this past week, and I was conviced, paintballing, is DAMN fun.

So I went out and bought me a paintball gun, my friends told me to get a spyder because they all had one and it would be easier to trade parts if any gun breaks down during a round.

So I bought a Spyder Sonix '07 yesterday (I think. Matte Red.)

I also got with it a Stryker 12" barrel, carbon fiber.

A VL evolution hoppper, and some paintballs of course.

So I'm wondering, does this gun perfome well enough for some recreational play in the woods? It seems good to me but I havn't seen it in action and am excited to.

I know a mechanic marker is not as good as a electrical one, but don't worry, the time for a VS1 will come later..

Anyways, some insight?

Edit: Should I also look into buying a new bolt, trigger frame, etc? I am thinking thought I should not put as much money into this gun as it will only last me some months til' I get a better one.

Edit 2: Also am going to buy a metal feed neck off paintball-online.com, the plastic one just doesn't cut it.

slim and shady
04-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Any gun is really good for woodsball. personaly if it was me i wouldnt upgrade anymore save your cash so you can get your vs gun quicker.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums

ikon
04-19-2008, 05:40 PM
Any gun is really good for woodsball. personaly if it was me i wouldnt upgrade anymore save your cash so you can get your vs gun quicker.

EDIT: Welcome to the forums

I yes I know, the only thing I'm going to buy now is probably the metal feedneck, which is only 8-10$ last time I checked.

Edit: Also, when I pick up a VS would a VL Evolution hopper have a good enough BPS for the burst fire mode? Because the gun I used when I didn't have my own was a crappy 50$ spyder w/ a gravity hopper and it chopped like a b*tch. (Forgot the brand name of it.) I probably won't use burst fire as much due to the adjustable trigger without having to disassemble the marker. (Unlike the sonix :() but I always gotta' know.

xxcarlosxx
04-19-2008, 05:46 PM
is it the vl evolution 3 or 2? if its 3 it'll keep up

ikon
04-19-2008, 05:47 PM
is it the vl evolution 3 or 2? if its 3 it'll keep up

It's a II (2). :p

Don;t worry though, I burned out 200$ now, (CO2 Tank, Gun, Paintballs, Hopper, Barrel.)

Once I save up some more I can get a vs1 for around 120-140$ off the internet and get a new hopper if needed.

Edit: I was also looking to pick up a UPZ Gladius 14" Barrel off Ebay, it looks pretty good for $19.95, but for such a cheap price, it doesn't seem promising..

irishwarrior
04-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Edit: I was also looking to pick up a UPZ Gladius 14' Barrel off Ebay, it looks pretty good for $19.95, but for such a cheap price, it doesn't seem promising..

That's the longest barrel i've ever heard of!!! How would you hold that thing up?!?! 14 feet, I mean, WOW!

ikon
04-19-2008, 06:16 PM
That's the longest barrel i've ever heard of!!! How would you hold that thing up?!?! 14 feet, I mean, WOW!

Hehe, I c w4t u did thar! :rolleyes:

edit time.

I mean, yeah, It's so long I don't even have to shoot people, I just poke em.

Hossy
04-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Welcome to the forums. Check the Ultimate Resource thread in my sig, it will help you alot.

The Egg 2 (the loader you have) is perfectly fine for any spyder, and even higher end guns as well.
I think buying the sonix 07 was a stupid choice, any other spyder would have been a great one IMO.

ikon
04-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the forums. Check the Ultimate Resource thread in my sig, it will help you alot.

The Egg 2 (the loader you have) is perfectly fine for any spyder, and even higher end guns as well.
I think buying the sonix 07 was a stupid choice, any other spyder would have been a great one IMO.

You serious? Oh well...

Also, I was thinking of buying a J&J Ceramic Barrel kit. Comes w/ 4 diff bore sized backs and a 14" and 16" front. It's $85.99.

Worth saving up for?

Hossy
04-19-2008, 07:08 PM
yes. J&Js are nice, alot of spyder users use them.
The only reason I talked down the sonix, is because ive heard about some compatibility issues with them and other spyder parts.

ikon
04-19-2008, 07:11 PM
yes. J&Js are nice, alot of spyder users use them.
The only reason I talked down the sonix, is because ive heard about some compatibility issues with them and other spyder parts.

Don't worry though, this sonix is only going to keep me up on my beginner months.

I'm looking in on the Electra, the Pilot ACS, or the RS/RSX.

Edit: Yeah I think I'm getting a good deal for $86 dollars. I see that one 2-peice barrel is around 60, but I can get practically 2, with 4 different bore sizes for $85. Saving mucho there?

ikon
04-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Actually I'm almost really regreting this Sonix purchase, but that's alright.

But I found a deal of an Advanced kit that comes with a Viewloader Revolution, 20 oz Co2 tank, and all that good stuff + Pilot ACS for 150. (Basically an advanced pack.)

I bought a sonix beginner pack for 120...

Oh well, time to do some extra work!

I've learned a lesson too.

Internet Shopping > Retail Shopping (****s, Wal-Mart, etc.)

Edit: Or just a Pilot ACS for 60 dollars.

Are pilot ACS's not good or something? 60 dollars is mighty cheap, cheaper than that victor my friends gave me when I had no gun!

xxcarlosxx
04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
pilots are good, but if u already have a sonix then just save up and get sumthing better... id wait and get an rs or the new pilot thats coming out

Dont get co2, save up and get hpa tank cuz when u get a gun that only runs on hpa ur gonna regret wasting ur money on co2.
20oz co2=$20 48 ci 3000 hpa tank psi=$55

Your hopper's fine... nvm what i said b4

To tell you the truth... id just save up and just get these
vs2 (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=2GQ0JRrBhkY09lLLBdX0jRAVyqY9OS5B4lY=?Pro ductID=rTzAqArbywEAAAEOXIWgmDPg)=$135 <- free gun bag!
HPA Tank (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=2GQ0JRrBhkY09lLLBdX0jRAVyqY9OS5B4lY=?Pro ductSKU=031-3003)=$55

xxcarlosxx
04-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I mean, yeah, It's so long I don't even have to shoot people, I just poke em.

:roflmao: LOL :roflmao:

Get a J&J they're more than good, they're great (like frosted flakes:D)

LostCause
04-20-2008, 09:02 AM
i <3 my J&J the only promblem is the weird barrel size (.688 if i rember) but its great till your balls swell.....lol. Shots stright and cleans itself pretty good. Though i have had one weird problem where the balls swelled and i had 6 balls stuck in my barrel :D lol

Great barrel, all in all

ikon
04-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Hpa seems a tad bit too expensive, but how much is a refill? If I do get hpa I'll probably get a more high end marker (vs2 or vs3 or RSX.) edit: Yeah about the j&j post I think I'm getting a good deal for 86$ for a 14" or 16" front and 4 different bore sized backs... **** typing on a iPod touch Is hard

LostCause
04-20-2008, 09:59 AM
HPA expensive but worth it, why waste money on a co2 tank. also most fields give free air since its scheaper then co2. so HPA>CO2, doesnt have to be a big tank either.

ikon
04-20-2008, 10:16 AM
HPA expensive but worth it, why waste money on a co2 tank. also most fields give free air since its scheaper then co2. so HPA>CO2, doesnt have to be a big tank either.

How much is a refill?

irishwarrior
04-20-2008, 10:25 AM

How much is a refill?

Answered

ikon
04-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Answered

Note he said most fields.

If I go to a sporting center would it be free there?

ikon
04-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Noob questions.

N2 and HPA are samething right?

Critical
04-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Correct

LostCause
04-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Note he said most fields.

If I go to a sporting center would it be free there?

the only fields i have ever saw it not free was some jerk who eventualy closed. :D though you may spot it occasinaly, though rare :D

ikon
04-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Now I'm thinking, is there a way to return a gun in any way? If you have every single item the package came with unused?

LostCause
04-20-2008, 03:35 PM
did you get it locally? and yes you can, if its from a website, look at the return policy. or a local Pro shop, jsut go in and ask

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
u said u got it from wal-mart right? i dont think ull have any problems if u clean everything...

i bought new controllers for my ps3 (now they have rumble) and put the old ones in and then returned em at walmart and there was no hassle

ikon
04-20-2008, 05:12 PM
u said u got it from wal-mart right? i dont think ull have any problems if u clean everything...

i bought new controllers for my ps3 (now they have rumble) and put the old ones in and then returned em at walmart and there was no hassle

Nah i got it from D1ck's. The thing is as good as new, havn't shot w/ it yet so it's still very shiney.

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Nah i got it from D1ck's. The thing is as good as new, havn't shot w/ it yet so it's still very shiney.

idk what store that is but its probably the same thing so ull be good. the worst that can happen is that they say no and u sell it to sumone at ur field or sumthing

ikon
04-20-2008, 05:18 PM
idk what store that is but its probably the same thing so ull be good. the worst that can happen is that they say no and u sell it to sumone at ur field or sumthing

Lol nver heard of D1ck's sporting goods? Maybe if you see their website you'll remember.

http://****ssportinggoods.com

Bah filter keeps screwing me up.

It's d1ckssportinggoods.com, the 1 is a i

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Lol nver heard of D1ck's sporting goods? Maybe if you see their website you'll remember.

nope never seen it... i live in miami and theres no d!cks store around here...
i checked their store locator:D

ikon
04-20-2008, 05:31 PM
nope never seen it... i live in miami and theres no d!cks store around here...
i checked their store locator:D

Lol oh well, tomorrow I'm gonna call them and see if a return is okay w/ them, tonight I find the receipt!

Then after that I order a 16" JJ ceramic barrel/ a VS2/HPA tank!

Woot paintball is cheap!:rolleyes:

It's worth the money though, so fun =p

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Woot paintball is cheap!:rolleyes:

i think u meant isn't cheap lol

ikon
04-20-2008, 05:34 PM
i think u meant isn't cheap lol

Sarcasm my friend :p

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:35 PM
now i see what u meant by that smiley face!

btw... how much have u seen vs2's for? i saw one really cheap at actionvillage.com

ikon
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
now i see what u meant by that smiley face!

btw... how much have u seen vs2's for? i saw one really cheap at actionvillage.com

That's exactly where I'm buying my new stuff at if I sell my sonix.

135..... cheap!

NEVER EVER again will I go to a retail store to buy paintball gear.. I just realised how much more money I spent then I should have..

Edit: Anyone know the average shipping time from actionvillage? Just wondering..

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:51 PM
at my local pb store they were charging me $90 for an eggy 3 hopper and i found it later that day ,online, for only $60 :mad:

Hossy
04-20-2008, 05:52 PM
actionvillages shipping times are all over the board.
Retail stores will help you sometimes, if its a paintball specialty stores. Id suggest not to buy much from Richards, The Sports Authority, and stores of the sort unless its for something generic.

ikon
04-20-2008, 05:56 PM
I used to look at paintball-online.com/paintball a lot and thought they were pretty cheap, but now that I've seen actionvillage, they are very cheap, it's like the costco's for paintball..

xxcarlosxx
04-20-2008, 05:58 PM
go to zephyrpaintball.com they're really cheap and they got super fast shipping

TheDarkShadow
04-20-2008, 06:00 PM

what you heard was from the 07 sonix, and it's not just the sonix, it's all the 07 mechs (some parts, such as bolts, arent compatible from 05 to 07 mechs)

if you're woodsballin you may look into the mr series

ikon
04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
what you heard was from the 07 sonix, and it's not just the sonix, it's all the 07 mechs (some parts, such as bolts, arent compatible from 05 to 07 mechs)

if you're woodsballin you may look into the mr series

Actually, we do woodsball a lot, but I also go to speed-ball like places around our area too, just not as much, hence why I'm not interested in a MR

ikon
04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Alas mates, thanks for the tips and opinions, I returned my sonix and some other stuff for $180 and bought a VS2/16" JJ Ceramic/3000 PSI DXS HPA tank (I think) for $224.