PDA

View Full Version : networking help

DFSniper
04-19-2008, 11:00 AM
i'm getting semi-mediocre connection on my computer (those who have me on AIM have probably noticed the constant logging in and out). i was looking online, and i saw something about using a second router as a wireless connection (click here (http://www.khngai.com/blog/index.php?/archives/287-What-I-Need-is-a-Client.html)), but i still have a few quesions. here's my current configuration:

belkin wireless g router in dining room
|
distance of ~175ft and 3 walls
|
my pc w/ linksys wireless g/w speedbooster card

i get about 50% signal strength and an average connection of 5.5mbps (never more than 11mbps).

if i were to get a 2nd router and use that instead of the wireless card, would i get a better signal?

badlandsrox
04-19-2008, 11:30 AM
how old is your router now? cause i had a belkin wireless g, and had the same problem, so i bought a new wireless N router (it was onsale for cheap), and have had no problems with it (it still works with wireless g cards, although if you switch ALL your computers to wireless N cards, the range is twice as good, and speeds 4 times better, but it only broadcasts in N standard if all receivers are N standard recievers

DFSniper
04-19-2008, 11:35 AM
yeah, its the cheap $40 one (but i got mine for $30), so i know the signal isnt that good. sometimes i have problems just picking it up. my friend bought a wireless N usb adapter, and that thing gets an awesome signal on is g router, but its over $100.

badlandsrox
04-19-2008, 11:41 AM
yeah, its the cheap $40 one (but i got mine for $30), so i know the signal isnt that good. sometimes i have problems just picking it up. my friend bought a wireless N usb adapter, and that thing gets an awesome signal on is g router, but its over $100.

I got my D-link wirless N/mimo router for $75, so i cant see your friend paying over 100 for a wireless adapter...

durrell
04-19-2008, 11:43 AM
You can get a range extender which is basically a second access point. It would definitely help your speeds. That's a long way for consistent wireless speeds, though. I ran a CAT5 cable from one end of our house to the other and then through the ceiling to my room.

Wireless = fail.

irishwarrior
04-19-2008, 11:51 AM
Check for spyware/viruses. They can mess with internet connections.

DFSniper
04-19-2008, 11:52 AM
i know, but my parents won't let me run cables through the house :( and its government housing, so holes in the wall is a big no-no! i could get a 500ft cable from tigerdirect for dirt cheap too...

badlands, this is what he got for $100 at best buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124093&Tpk=WUSB300N

i wish i knew where my old router was, we lost it in the move...

edit:
Check for spyware/viruses. They can mess with internet connections.

nope, we wiped all our HDDs a few months ago, and i've been having this problem since i bought the router.

badlandsrox
04-19-2008, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=DFSniper;196144]i know, but my parents won't let me run cables through the house :( and its government housing, so holes in the wall is a big no-no! i could get a 500ft cable from tigerdirect for dirt cheap too...

badlands, this is what he got for $100 at best buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124093&Tpk=WUSB300N[QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that could help, although like i said 100 is a bit steep if thats the reason you get one, when you can get a good quality new router for 70

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10076846&catid=

I had this until we had a lightning strike and the router was not on the surge protector, and now we have a better one, but that old one wasnt half bad at all, and im sure its cheaper in the states, cause everything is always cheaper, so i wouldnt be suprised if it may be around 50 or 60 down there.

HelpDeskHustler
04-19-2008, 12:27 PM
You can get a range extender which is basically a second access point. It would definitely help your speeds. That's a long way for consistent wireless speeds, though. I ran a CAT5 cable from one end of our house to the other and then through the ceiling to my room.

Wireless = fail.

Trooth. I have cat6 to every room in the house. x10 faster than cat5 which is perfect when I use a switch for lan parties.

DFSniper
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
claus, don't you have LAN ports running through your walls though? my friend's house has that, but for whatever reason, when they built the new army housing, they never finished hooking them up.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10076846&catid=

I had this until we had a lightning strike and the router was not on the surge protector, and now we have a better one, but that old one wasnt half bad at all, and im sure its cheaper in the states, cause everything is always cheaper, so i wouldnt be suprised if it may be around 50 or 60 down there.

tim (bigred) showed me that one yesterday too. i'm thinking about getting it, because it has the built-in gaming prioritizing.

HelpDeskHustler
04-19-2008, 02:46 PM
At my old house we ran a 300ft wire around the baseboard.

DFSniper
04-19-2008, 02:58 PM
well, right now i'm working on a parabolic antenna, and if that doesnt work, i'll probably get a hi-gain antenna and an extension cord so i can run the antenna closer to my door.

oh, i lied about the distance, its only about 100ft, not 175.

cyberthrasher_706
04-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Oh man, I forgot all about this. Sorry man, kinda feel like I let you down. I'll look some more at your configuration later and see what I can plan out to help out. I'm pretty sure the most likely thing is a matter of compatibility but I'll look more into it.

DFSniper
04-25-2008, 09:20 AM
thanks. right now i moved my computer a little out of the corner, made slip-on parabolic antennas, and taken off all the security settings except firewall and MAC filtering, and i've seen a lot less dropped connections.