PDA

View Full Version : Now its official, i have become a certified PITA

badlandsrox
04-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Not to sound like a little kid asking a ton of questions or anything... haha

So we have an 03 GMC Yukon Denali, and almost every morning, it's battery will be dead, and require a boost. The battery is not old (we've replaced it to be sure that its not the problem), No lights are left on overnight, no current users are left on (aside from a single cell phone charger, but that is a recent addition). If you start it, and go into say a store or anything, the battery will have enough power to restart (usually...), its only when you leave it for a while (more than say 3 or 4 hours) that it does this. The grounds are all in their correct spots and everything. Any ideas on a potential fix?

vikingshadow
04-19-2008, 10:53 AM
New alternator. Sounds like the battery isn't getting charged as you drive which when that happens on my vehicles, that's what usually is the culprit. Take it to a local auto parts store and put it on their machine to check it.

battlechaser
04-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Either that or you have a wiring short somewhere. Do what Vike said first, if the problem continues, it'd be best if you dropped it off at the dealer for service, unless you have substantial electrical experience.

badlandsrox
04-19-2008, 11:36 AM
its definatly not the alternator, cause its getting around 14 volts when running (on the dash, and on a battery tester), and about the dealer service thing, its been to the dealer, and to several repair shops, and none have been able to fix it

irishwarrior
04-19-2008, 12:48 PM
It sounds like something is causing the battery to run when it's just standing there.

STRIKEFIRST
04-20-2008, 10:38 AM
I've had a really similar problem with a chevy and it was the alternator...If you have an autozone they will test the alternator for free.

I also had this problem on a ford. It was a bad fuel pump relay...fuel pump would run at random times for no reason.

Good Luck!