PDA

View Full Version : Lube or No Lube? That is the question.

electric_4_ever
04-18-2008, 09:01 PM
So here's the deal ..

I have a Spyder MR2 w/ Eyes. When I bought it, the guy told me not to put oil in the screw part where you put in your air tank. Yes the marker is running on air. The reason for this he told me, was because if it got inside the tank, it would more or less turn it into a bomb. Now, I dont have oil, the product that I have is called "Liquid Fire" and its made by Brass Eagle, it comes in a little red bottle. If I put this in the air part, will it have the same effect? I just want to know because it seems like each time I put the tank on and then remove it, it seems to get getting harder to remove each time.

bigred76
04-18-2008, 09:07 PM
That is paintball oil. I have never had the issue like that. Just keep your marker tilted downwards if it worries you that much. The problem that can arise with oil and HPA tanks is with the fill nipple, on the 4500/3000psi side. The 800psi side is perfectly fine with oil, but in the 4500/3000psi side it simply is under so much pressure that the heat and air friction from a fill will be enough to ignite it. Think of it this way... if it can be used to oil your gun on the striker, then why would it have an issue on that part of the regulator? ;)

Don't ever lube the 4500/3000 side of the regulator with oil EVER. The only lubrication I personally have EVER, and I mean EVER done on that side is a little DOW55 on the fill nipple's oring when I was installing a new one. That's IT. The part that you can get to without taking the regulator, HP burst disk, fill nipple, or gauge off of is the part that is OK with oil.

colonel_moo
04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Theres no danger in putting oil in your ASA, i dont know where the guy you bought it from got that idea, in fact, back in the day that was the AKA advised you lubed a Viking. I've never heard of 'liquid fire' but im sure its probably just a type of lube / more or less the same thing as oil, it would be fine.

durrell
04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
I lol'd at the thread title.

druid
04-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Moo...he's talking about bottle regs...not in-line regs.
Oil+bottle regs=::BOOM::
Oil+in-line regs=::happy happy joy joy::

Liquid Fire is BE's version of "Gold Cup" oil. Essentially it's the same thing.

When adding the oil to the asa, tilt the barrel to the ground and put 3-4 drops in the asa. Screw in the bottle, turn it on and fire.

This is the fastest (and laziest) way to oil the ORings and internals of the marker which is more properly accomplished by tearing down the marker and doing it manually.

You will NEVER oil a bottle regulator EVER. Internals get DOW not oil and you should send any faulty/leaking bottle reg in for service and not do it yourself.

lxm
04-19-2008, 05:43 AM

yea i was scared to open this thread at first lol

electric_4_ever
04-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Haha .. i thought the title was pretty clever :P ... and also seemed to get the attention it needed to get me the answer i needed. Thanks for all the help everyone.

So just to make sure I have everything 100% .. I can use the lube on the ASA, just don't ever (more or less) take the rubber nipple off the tank and put the lube where they use it to fill it correct?

timbertiger20
04-19-2008, 08:39 AM
YES! Don't put oil into air tank! Put it in the marker, unless your marker manual advises otherwise as a lot of higher end markers aren't designed to have oil shot through them.

druid
04-19-2008, 08:59 AM
I want to point something out that Tim and I argued about last night on AIM...

In some manuals like AA and Pure Energy, they specifically suggest oiling the bottle reg. Tim is correct that they say to oil the bottle regs.

HOWEVER...in the interest of public safety and since there were 2 bottle explosions (that I'm aware of) posted withing the past year on the net, this is the sole reason I stated to use DOW or send it back to the manufacturer. DO NOT OIL BOTTLE REGS ON YOUR OWN. SEND IT BACK TO THE MANUFACTURER.

Most people don't read or fully understand directions or instructions...or just have a poor maintenenhce ethic and that is why accidents like the 2 bottle ruptures occur.

xxcarlosxx
04-19-2008, 05:43 PM

ur a sick person u know that? lmao

MVS1
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
NEVER try and lubricate your tank reg by putting oil directly into the fill nipple, this will cause catastrophic failure (ie. explosion).
However if you disassemble your tank reg and apply a light film of marker oil (know that I side with Druid in the fact that grease [DOW 33 or Sleek33 ;D] is a better choice than marker oil, do to the fact that it has better vescocity [it'll last longer] than marker oil will), but either way is OK. Reasoning behind it is that Rapid air flow, High PSI 3000 to 4500 from a fill station creates heat, mixed with oil (a combustable when atomized) is a deadly combination. The air flow across the tank reg (800 to 1100 psi for an HP tank reg, 400 to 650 psi for an LP tank reg) is considerably less therefore does not create the same amount of heat as the airflow at the fill nipple from a fill station at 3000 to 4500 psi. The best/safest option is to lubricate you tank reg's oring's using sleek33 or dow 33, because it will not atomize like marker oil will. Anyone familiar with fire-fighting knows that the only way to extinguish/prevent a fire/explosion is to remove one of the legs of the "fire triangle" (Heat, Fuel Source and O2) and if you can't remove the O2 than you have to keep the temp below the flash-point of the fuel source.

TLDR: use grease not oil on tank reg orings.