PDA

View Full Version : no more vista

kramernator
04-17-2008, 04:41 PM
i heard that they are getting rid of vista (because it is so horrible) and getting something called windows 7.

anyone else heard of it?

fatkidfrompbaz
04-17-2008, 04:47 PM
wow no more vista yay

badlandsrox
04-17-2008, 04:55 PM
there not gettting rid of vista, they are getting rid of XP, and also releasing a new OS sometime in the next year or so I believe it was.

HelpDeskHustler
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
vista is to seven as ME is to XP.

It's supposed to come out in 2010

vikingshadow
04-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Just read a story tonight on PC World that XP is being discontinued in June of this year. NOTHING about Vista being discontinued was mentioned - I would have thought that they would have said something about that.

king-man
04-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Why get rid of XP, thats the only thing goin for them, this could change alot of people over to Mac users, hell even i want a Mac now but there high, my dad sells computers and at first i tryed to get hin to use vista but we played with a vista computer and i hated it, boy will he hate this

DFSniper
04-17-2008, 05:18 PM
when it comes to just about everything, xp > vista. i'll never give up my xp pro cd :D

kramernator
04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Why get rid of XP, thats the only thing goin for them, this could change alot of people over to Mac users, hell even i want a Mac now but there high, my dad sells computers and at first i tryed to get hin to use vista but we played with a vista computer and i hated it, boy will he hate this

yeah, i agree, vista is pretty lame. and XP is awesome, Macs seem to be doing alright, they have their new leapord of whatever it is, it seems alright. but i hope they hurry this windows 7 thing up!

pb34
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I love my mac :) . I tried out Vista on my old laptop and hated it and switched back to XP. Just out of curiosity, I saw that there was supposed to be a release of a service pack for Vista in early 2008. Does anyone know if they released it?

king-man
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
mdk if if they did but if it made it faster that would be good, im deffinatly selling all my pb guns + more so i can get a mac book air:dodgy: have you guys seen the price tags on those things, $3000 for a laptop is a little much for me

HelpDeskHustler
04-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Mac is like the evil teacher that looks down on all the students(users) and tells people to sit in the corner while they teach.

Seven has a 32mb kernel apparently, pretty impressively sized.

king-man
04-17-2008, 05:27 PM
Seven has a 32mb kernel apparently, pretty impressively sized.

i may know a little bit about computers but i still speak english, whats that mean?

badlandsrox
04-17-2008, 05:28 PM
the sp is in beta right now last i heard.

But honestly, what does everyone have against vista? personally, I really like it, true it takes a little getting used to and everything, but once you get used to it, I find it almost easier than XP, sure the whole permission needed for alot of things can get a little repetitive, but I do love the whole organization of everything, and the sidebar is very useful, aero is really nice, along with its 3d flip function, and the ability to hover over the taskbar to view a tab without fully opening it can be really helpful. The only complaint i have is about the amount of resources it takes up, too much for an older computer, but then again, its a completly new OS than XP, and just as computers were made for specifically XP, computers are being made specifically for Vista, eliminating that problem, and I have yet to have a major problem with compatability... but to each his own...

HelpDeskHustler
04-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Generally a small kernel means that they left a ton of garbage features out of the kernel and those are handled externally, whereas the key processes load right away. This would bring rise to faster response times an a much lower chance of security issues through wierd features.

irishwarrior
04-17-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a macbook with Leopard and it kicks XP's butt! It has converted me from PC to Mac. The commands/apps are intuitive, the keystrokes are easy and can be used for everything (yay, I hate mice) and they are great at media type things ex. movies, presentations...etc.

king-man
04-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Generally a small kernel means that they left a ton of garbage features out of the kernel and those are handled externally, whereas the key processes load right away. This would bring rise to faster response times an a much lower chance of security issues through wierd features.

wats vistas and XP's

fatkidfrompbaz
04-17-2008, 06:11 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

vikingshadow
04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
the sidebar is very useful

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,64384-order,1-page,1/description.html

For those XP users who want the Vista Sidebar thingy...

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,61290-order,1-page,1/description.html

For those XP users who want the Vista Start Menu...

Just a couple things I found tonight!

DFSniper
04-17-2008, 06:56 PM
But honestly, what does everyone have against vista?

it slows down your gaming like crazy. if you've ever compared games between the two, you'd notice a difference. and these "vista only" games like vegas and halo 2, if they didnt require DX10 and some other nondescript programming, they would run A LOT better on XP.

badlandsrox
04-17-2008, 06:59 PM
I do agree with the gaming thing (but on the one game that i do play, its a combination of the resource junkie game, and the resource loving vista, that are both at fault.) But when it comes to everday computing, imho vista is better than XP.

battlechaser
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Been running Vista for the last 6 months without problems on my laptop. To be honest, without a virus scanner either. XP under the same circumstances = fail.

The same thing happens every time Microsoft releases a new OS, people whine and gripe about it for the first year, then realize that eventually, it's not half as bad as they thought it was. Anyone remember what things were like when Windows 95 was released?

GYAH! What they hell is that line thing, and why does it keep telling me to Start!?!?!?

Once patches and mods start getting released the griping will die down, IMO.

durrell
04-17-2008, 09:36 PM

This is kind of flawed logic, but it also makes sense for Windows.

With Linux, you have the choice of using a standard kernel with modules or building your own kernel with built in hardware support catered to your hardware. A smaller kernel normally means that yes, they might have left garbage out of the kernel, but there is still a ton of garbage on the computer used for new hardware and peripheral support. Kind of like picking your poison, I guess. The custom kernel is much more streamlined and faster.

The Windows kernel doesn't really have that option because of the huge amount of compatibility it has to support. The security argument is kind of null because most viruses have no effect on the kernel itself.

And according to Bill Gates, Windows 7 is on its way in 2009.

Ace24
04-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Mac > PC. /story

Linux > Windows
Leapord > Windows

My foot > Windows.

XP IS the only good Microsoft operating system aside from 98. Vista can rot in hell.

irishwarrior
04-18-2008, 01:41 AM
:yeahthat:

DFSniper
04-18-2008, 03:15 AM
wooh! fanboy war!

Linux > Windows

i'd love to disagree, but none of my computers will run linux for some reason, so i have no evidence :D

durrell
04-20-2008, 11:43 AM
wooh! fanboy war!

i'd love to disagree, but none of my computers will run linux for some reason, so i have no evidence :D

I'm sure we could change that.

If you ever really want help getting Linux running, I'm sure I could assist. :p

DFSniper
04-20-2008, 12:04 PM
i've tried on multiple occasions, even tried getting help on here. neither my pc nor my laptop like ANY of the linux video drivers from ANY linux program i try installing (gparted, ubuntu, knoppix, etc.). and when i do get past that part, it always freezes up.

chubb0rz
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
I just don't like how resource intensive Vista is. I'm sure I said the same thing when XP came out but not a big fan of it. Plus I want to see more support for some apps I currently use for school and photography before I switch.