PDA

View Full Version : Car Problemo's

badlandsrox
04-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Hokay, so i got a Jeep YJ, i think around early 90's late 80's model, and when i go to start it, sometimes it doesnt get power to the igntion, but if let go of the key and let it return to running position, it works, any idea on what may be wrong with it?

Also, after a long drive, it starts to lose power, and wont maintian highway speeds, any idea whats wrong here?

XSiv Force
04-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Wiring for the ignition.......Losing power is more than likely the tranny....its either the tranny overheating or.....let me consult my books( does it make any noises?)

Hossy
04-13-2008, 04:54 PM
your problem is that you bought that old of a car :nododgy:

badlandsrox
04-13-2008, 05:03 PM
haha no we had it new, just sorta bringin it outta storage after its been there a few years lol

DFSniper
04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
losing power might be your alternator too. thats what happened to our bmw.

on a side note, jeeps are fun to drive :D i miss my mom's wrangler!

battlechaser
04-13-2008, 05:57 PM
your problem is that you bought that old of a car :nododgy:

In my experience, I've had more trouble with newer cars than older ones. Not to mention newer vehicles, for the most part, are a bigger PITA to fix.

Besides, it's a Jeep. Jeeps are timeless. ;)

Probably a blown fuse.

But if it's an intermittent problem it could be the ignition switch itself, should it be worn out.

Take a look and call me in the morning.

Dr. B. Chaser

XSiv Force
04-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Its either as i said the wiring to the ingnition or the starter motor.....Where as a blown fuse i dont think that would happen because he is still able to turn it on.........

badlandsrox
04-13-2008, 06:36 PM
about the comments about the wiring to the ignition, yeah thats what i was sort of thinking, well, more along the lines of something wrong with the wiring to the starter coil, or distributor maybe. starter motor is a no, cause it turns over, its just like power to the plugs im talking that its not getting. the alternator might be suspect, but then again that would mean we wouldnt be getting any recharge on the batteries, which we are, i cant really tell though cause the alternator sensor is gone bad, either that or your right and it is shot. and also, as chaser said, ignition switch could be shot too. Well im gunna open er up tommorow and ill letcha guys know what i find.

battlechaser
04-13-2008, 08:41 PM
about the comments about the wiring to the ignition, yeah thats what i was sort of thinking, well, more along the lines of something wrong with the wiring to the starter coil, or distributor maybe. starter motor is a no, cause it turns over, its just like power to the plugs im talking that its not getting. the alternator might be suspect, but then again that would mean we wouldnt be getting any recharge on the batteries, which we are, i cant really tell though cause the alternator sensor is gone bad, either that or your right and it is shot. and also, as chaser said, ignition switch could be shot too. Well im gunna open er up tommorow and ill letcha guys know what i find.

So it will crank EVERY time? That will rule out both fuses and the ignition switch.

When it starts (if it does) how does it run? If it runs like a bag of ****, it could be something to do with either the distributor, coil, plugs or wires. To find the problem I'd replace things in this order, wires, plugs, coil, dizzy.

If it's been sitting for a while (few years) have you put any new fuel in it? (The octane rating will go down if it sits for a while, drop some premium and maybe an octane booster in it to neutralize it a bit).

Ace24
04-13-2008, 08:50 PM
lol... having an alternator die mid drive and the battery dieing isn't fun... <- experienced.

Buy some fuel injector cleaner for one...

badlandsrox
04-13-2008, 08:53 PM
So it will crank EVERY time? That will rule out both fuses and the ignition switch.

When it starts (if it does) how does it run? If it runs like a bag of ****, it could be something to do with either the distributor, coil, plugs or wires. To find the problem I'd replace things in this order, wires, plugs, coil, dizzy.

If it's been sitting for a while (few years) have you put any new fuel in it? (The octane rating will go down if it sits for a while, drop some premium and maybe an octane booster in it to neutralize it a bit).

its not quite that its been sitting and it worked before, the reason we put it away were those problems, but i have some time on my hands, so i figured why not get it running, possibly just for some trail riding, but most likely i will use it as a summer car. Also, when we started it up now, it was running, not spectacularly, aside from the stale gas and everything though, it was running good. Yeah, wires will prob be the first thing to go, plugs cant be to bad, i will check them out though, make sure theres no fouled plugs, or uneven burn or anythign like that going on in there, the coil is new since right before we stored it, and what exactly is the dizzy? It does run fine when it runs, aside from the losing power after 45 minutes(ish). It will crank every time, again, its eerily similar to a problem with power to the ignition system, perhaps a short maybe, which would case the odd stall that happens.

DRAGON
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
My guess(s): ignition, ignition module, coil or distributor -

badlandsrox
04-13-2008, 09:50 PM
lol... having an alternator die mid drive and the battery dieing isn't fun... <- experienced.

Buy some fuel injector cleaner for one...

this predates injectors by about a year lol, so unfortunatly (in that it would be an easy fix) its not that.

vikingshadow
04-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Hokay, so i got a Jeep YJ, i think around early 90's late 80's model, and when i go to start it, sometimes it doesnt get power to the igntion, but if let go of the key and let it return to running position, it works, any idea on what may be wrong with it?

I talked to a mechanic a few years ago and he said that they were notorious for electrical problems. If I had to guess, based on your description of this problem, I would say it's probably what these guys have already said. Wiring or just a bad ignition switch, coil or distributor.

Also, after a long drive, it starts to lose power, and wont maintian highway speeds, any idea whats wrong here?

Strange problem. I can think of two possible reasons for this.

1. You're fuel isn't keeping up with the demand your motor is asking for. Could be a carb problem here, or maybe your fuel pump. What happens is that at the start when you aren't taxing the engine that much, you have plenty of fuel to keep going and it's easier for the pump to keep up, or the reserve to keep getting full. As you speed up, you empty the fuel reserve faster, which doesn't get replaced as fast and the more you stomp on the accelerator to gain back the speed you're losing, the more you keep that reserve empty.

2. I don't think it's your alternator/generator - a symptom of that is when you drive the car for awhile, your battery doesn't have enough juice left in it to even crank the starter motor. But, just in case, take it AutoZone (or whatever you have in Canada) to find out.

Of course, you could just take it to a mechanic and for about 30 bucks, they can hook it up to their diagnostic machine and tell you EVERYTHING that's wrong with it.

Wow, I haven't had to talk about these kinds of problems in several years! The good ol' days of carbs and generators.... :p

Edit: Come to think of it, may be a clogged catylitic converter also, or the sensors. Does it have O2 sensors? I can't remember when those came out...

Edit #2: Upon more thinking, I'm still going to go with fuel pump or fuel delivery problems, right up to the carb.

XSiv Force
04-14-2008, 07:11 AM
What do you mean that it predates Fuel injectors? My 1962 Corvette has the original injectors on it

Hoppy11
04-14-2008, 08:47 AM
What do you mean that it predates Fuel injectors? My 1962 Corvette has the original injectors on it

He means that he has an in line 6 (I'm guessing) and it is carborated. Therefore no fuel injectors. Speaking of that.. how does your carb look?

Edit: Or it may be throttle bodied.. I can't remember exactly.

durrell
04-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I can't see an early 90's/late 80's Jeep YJ having a carburetor. My guess is like vike said : maybe a fuel pump issue, or at least some issue with the motor getting fuel. Also, like Drago said..could be a distributor or ignition issue. I can't remember what year OBDII became standard, I'm sure Jim could tell you. But if you have a diagnostic port, you can take it to Auto Zone and they may be able to scan it and see if it is throwing any codes. The Check Engine light doesn't always have to be on for a problem to be present.

vwjimmy
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.....
Go get a 'Ballast Resistor' and replace the one you have. It is mounted on the firewall on the drivers side.
Fixed :)

battlechaser
04-14-2008, 02:40 PM

Your '62 Vette (if it has the original engine) doesn't have injectors, it has a funky little gadget the older guys around here will recognise as a carburetor. ;)

Or it may be throttle bodied.. I can't remember exactly.

I really doubt there was TBI back then, seemed to be more of a 70s/80s thing..

I can't see an early 90's/late 80's Jeep YJ having a carburetor. My guess is like vike said : maybe a fuel pump issue, or at least some issue with the motor getting fuel. Also, like Drago said..could be a distributor or ignition issue. I can't remember what year OBDII became standard, I'm sure Jim could tell you. But if you have a diagnostic port, you can take it to Auto Zone and they may be able to scan it and see if it is throwing any codes. The Check Engine light doesn't always have to be on for a problem to be present.

OBDII was mid 90s. OBDI was late-80s early 90s, and the ever wonderful OBD0 would be everything before that.

XSiv Force
04-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Actually yes it does have injectors...if you do not believe me then you may look it up.....Even My 1968 Chevelle has injectors

From my resources.....
"Fuel injection debuted in 1957, landing the Corvette's enlarged 283 cubic inch small-block into the newly created "one-horsepower-per-cubic-inch" club."

slim and shady
04-14-2008, 03:05 PM

I would sugest changing your ignition and changing your fuel filters that is probably why you start to experiance trouble after driving for a wial change the fuel filter and im sure that wont happen anymore. If your having delay problems with your ignition just change it.

battlechaser
04-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Actually yes it does have injectors...if you do not believe me then you may look it up.....Even My 1968 Chevelle has injectors

From my resources.....
"Fuel injection debuted in 1957, landing the Corvette's enlarged 283 cubic inch small-block into the newly created "one-horsepower-per-cubic-inch" club."

Yeah I actually found a list of service bullitens for the older 'vettes. Definitely interesting to know. I always figured FI started in the late 70s. Definitely cool. :)

slim and shady
04-14-2008, 03:26 PM
A Quick way to tell if it is the ballist resistor is to take the wires off and touch them together if it acts fine then that is what your problem is I did this with my Landcruiser. However dont leave it that way long it could burn yopur coil out. The resistor is like 3$ the coil is like 60$ for the 3$ it is deffinatly worth checking the resistor before replacing the ignition. I didnt see that post sorry Jimmy. Probably what the problem is. But i would still think the the problem with lose of power when driving ect is fuel filters there fine till you use it then the fuel thins a little and everything goes to hell. Happens lots to me in the heavy equiptment I run.

badlandsrox
04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Well first thing im going to say is thanks for all the help people, i never would have expected such a response to my plea for help. First off, what i meant by before fuel injectors, i meant as in FI's becoming pretty much standard equiptment, as they are now adays. And yes, it is carbeurated, jeeps didnt come standard FI'd until like 89 or 90, and its an 87. I pretty much tore the engine apart today, degreasing it as i go along, some connections are loose, others are dissconnected and capped with screws, replaced these back onto original spots, mostly because i had nothing better to do, and because well they werent helping much how they were. Took the filter off... thats pretty much shot, gas was coming out orange, with a bunch of sediment as well, so i got a new filter, going to get a new PCV valve just to make sure its not that, sure its not, but its only a 10$ part so w/e. replaced the battery terminal connection, theres random hoses, and weird looking things that look like they should be connected to stuff, but i cant find what, so im just going to leave those for now. i replaced most of the fluids, found out the wiper blade motors dont work (or at least the switch doesnt work), i am in the process of replacing the various lights everywhere (daytime running, headlights, fog lights, brake lights etc). and a basic tuneup just as sort of a diagnostic.

Ok heres my next round of questions:
-Whats this ballast resistor, and what effect would it have on not supplying ignition power intermittently?
-About the wiper blades, whats a good way to diagnose the issues with that?
-Anybody know of somewhere that i can buy either OEM, or custom guages (tach, spedometer, charge guage (its currently not working, so definite replace either guage or sensor)

Thanks again for all your guyses help so far, and thanks in advance for further help!

slim and shady
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM
ok Question one
Im not positive on what the ballist resistor does I would think it cuts back some of the power. I however am more then aware of the problems it can cause. sometimes it wont let the vehical start, sometimes it will let it start. Sometimes it will start but run real rough. But for me most of the time was it wouldnt let it start. YOu can tell if that is the problem buy: When the vehical wont start, there are 2 wires that go to the resistor top and bottom. take them both off and touch them together if it fires right up thats what the problem is. This is usefull if it goes out on you and you need to get your vehical home just wrap the wires together. However if you leave it that way to long it will burn your coil out. The resistor is only like 3$ so its an easy iteam to replace.
Question two- With my landcruiser gain i had the same problem all I had to do is make sure you have power through your switch if you have power through the switch two the wiper blade motor and it still wont turn give it a little love tap you would be suprised how sitting for a wial will cause just enough crosion to keep parts from moving. If that dont work just pull the motor off and take it apart and clean it. I can pretty well quarentee there is just a buildup in there.

Im sorry I dont know about your last question.

XSiv Force
04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Summit Racing
Jegs motor sports

DFSniper
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
xsiv beat me to it, but still:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+4294908280+4294925008+115

badlandsrox
04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
Sorry to sound so clueless about cars (Im really not! this thing is just that much of a doozie to fix! lol) but i've been looking the net all over to get an idea of the price and where to buy one of them ballast resistors or whatever, and cant find anything, any other names of them?

edit: Also, i did some searching around, and the crankshaft position sensor is n/a, because it has no fuel injection.

XSiv Force
04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I........I won.......I WON!!!!!!!!!
Ok im through....Jegs is really good ive got a sponorship from them on my racing team

badlandsrox
04-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Well we replaced a bunch of stuff in it, so hopefully that will have fixed it, only time will tell though, so hopefully the problems dont show their faces again. I replaced the fuel and air filters, just cause they were easy and should be replaced anyways, replaced the PCV valve, changed the oil and coolant, fixed loose wires, replaced battery terminal connections, replaced frayed wires, random little repairs, lubed everything up, and a bunch of other things that escape my mind at the moment, but they werent too important anyways. I looked for the ballast resistor that vwjimmy suggested may be suspect, but apparently it does not have one, and i also did other little jobs like a super clean of inside the dash, and all that, just to keep it looking nice. One thing forsure though, is that it does definatly sound better with all the work put into it now!

slim and shady
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Thats great hope whatever apperent problems it had are now fixed and you wont have anything to worry about.

badlandsrox
05-04-2008, 04:47 PM
So the starting problem is still happening, any other ideas? I was thinking I might pull apart the steering column, and then look for any shorted wires to the ignition, and also pull out the ignition wiring schematic and see if I can find anything wrong with the wiring at all. I am also thinking that the ICU or whatever it is on an older car like that if its any different might be shot, cause I do know its not stock, and it must have been used when it was put in, so maybe that might might be it, but any other ideas you guys have?

badlandsrox
05-16-2008, 03:46 PM
It is now (finally!) up and running great, knock on wood. Just in time for the long weekend too! BTW, if any of you want to see it, try and catch It Must Be Love (a TV film starring Ted Danson), it was used in the shooting of it.