PDA

View Full Version : Making a comeback, looking for a Spyder

ArtemisBD
04-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I am looking to buy a new Spyder. The last time I bought a gun it was the Spyder Classic back when it first came out (and before the "Classic" subtitle was added). The only times I've played since then I've borrowed someone's gun or used the old Spyder (black tape and all).

I've always loved my gun and am looking to start my paintball rebirth with the new breed of Spyder. So I need some help finding the right gun for me, as there seems to be many good choices. I am mostly a woodsball player but am looking to play both speedball and woodsball evenly this time. I am looking for something that would fare well in both game types and that I could easily upgrade. My eye is on the MR3 but am open to any suggestions. Note that price isn't that important but around the same range as the MR3's price.

DFSniper
04-11-2008, 07:41 PM
VS2, RS, RSX, or the new '08 Electra. the electra would probably be your best bet because kingman has improved so much on it compared to the others.

TheDarkShadow
04-11-2008, 07:44 PM
I'd go with the RS, since it's CO2 compatible

ArtemisBD
04-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I'd go with the RS, since it's CO2 compatible

The MR3 says it operates off of either CO2 or Compressed Air.

TheDarkShadow
04-11-2008, 08:13 PM
it also is but, the RS it lighter than the MR3, I suppose it is just personal prefrence

bigred76
04-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Artemis as in Artemis Fowl? ;)

Welcome to the boards, Artemis! Good to see that people are comin' back into the sport! :)

As far as a gun... My train of thought for woodsball is that the quicker the opponent shoots at you, the quicker you can paint 'em. :shrug: With that, it really doesn't matter what gun you get, so long as it's a good one. That means an RS/RSX, VS2, or an Electra/Pilot '08. Any of those will annihilate a lot of the competition you will face on any sort of rec field.

I'm going to assume that you're using CO2, though, so if you are, take the VS2 off the list. It won't work well with it right out of the box.

gunz52
04-11-2008, 09:06 PM
VS1 or Electra...

DFSniper
04-12-2008, 03:12 AM
the reason i reccomended the RSX was because based on the review that lamorte did on PBN, it shoots like magic straight out of the box, and theres not really anything you need to upgrade it.

king-man
04-12-2008, 08:20 AM
id go rs or electra, if your only going to use co2, an mr3 is basically woodsball only IMO, the rs could be both, the electra could be both to but a little more speedball

ArtemisBD
04-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Artemis as in Artemis Fowl?

Nah, Artemis as in Artemis Entreri.

As far as the guns suggested, I like the way the RS series looks. The RSX looks to be a bit more than what I wanted to spend but I found just a RS in my price range.

I've read the list of features for each but can someone break down the pros and cons for both the MR3 and the RS? Someone mentioned weight but I never could find an exact weight for either gun to make a comparison.

king-man
04-12-2008, 08:29 AM
i can gaurantee you a mr3 weighs at least a pound more, an mr1 weghs more than my rsx, or so it feels

are you only going to use co2 or are you going to be using hpa?

Kenny_McCormic
04-12-2008, 11:34 AM
The RS is low pressure and shoots smoother than the MR3 you gotta buy a new feedneck for the mr3 if you want something that will last, the RS comes stock with a clamper.

king-man
04-12-2008, 12:17 PM
not neccesarly a clamping feedneck, its a twist lock

DFSniper
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
well, the MR3 is a lot bulkier, even without the stock. also, its not low pressure, meaning that its louder and more of a gas hog. other than that, they're pretty much the same in function. oh, and with the shroud, some barrels won't fit on the mr3

ArtemisBD
04-12-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the guys I will be mostly playing with use co2. Sounds to me like the RS is the way to go. My initial budget would only allow the RS and not the RSX. Is the RSX that much better that I should look into spending the extra cash for it?

bigred76
04-12-2008, 08:31 PM
It just has the Tadao board stock and the valve that drops the pressure down another 50psi.

king-man
04-15-2008, 05:37 AM
and the trigger, and the deffinatly sexy platinum body kit

Griff
04-15-2008, 05:54 AM
RSX from all the reviews, it's the best spyder made.

king-man
04-15-2008, 01:30 PM
id say the electra will be just becaues its smaller and lighter