PDA

View Full Version : Sonix 07 questions and upgrades?

KaiserSosay
04-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Hey, new to this forum and to paint ball, so I got myself a Spyder Sonix not knowing what I was doing, I kinda heard it was a good gun. I unfortunately have yet to test it, so I Wanted to know what people thought of this marker.

...What kind of Balls per second can you get out of it with a regular gravity feed hopper?? and with an electronic feeder can it keep up ??

what would be some good upgrades??...(already noobed out and got a CMI tru flight "precision rifled" barrel 21 inches...and because its 3 pieces in theory the 5 inch piece can be taken off to make it a 16 inch barrel. It claims extreme accuracy, tighter pattern, Greater distance, Spin free projection and Quiet performance.

Is an Electronic Trigger worth it for like 40 or 60? are these legal (in general) and For instance if I go to a field and they only do semi - auto would they allow me just to use that setting on it?
is this a good package?
http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/pages-productinfo/category-4545_4622/product-4905/paintball-tanks-and-acc-tank-packages-vl-beginner-nitro-loader-kit.html?zenid=e5824a3f25e395e9239d6f98bc45fd41
will the sonix with a stock semi auto trigger get to 12 balls a sec?
thanks, for any knowledge

KaiserSosay
04-11-2008, 02:36 PM
and would it make any sense in reversing the way the tank is attached to the gun so that it goes underneath the barrel, freeing up room at the back of the gun? and how could I do this? would it be simple?

DFSniper
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
...What kind of Balls per second can you get out of it with a regular gravity feed hopper?? and with an electronic feeder can it keep up ?? on a mechanical frame like that, i can usually pull 7-8 bps. a gravity fed hopper gets about 13 in theory, but in actuality, its less than that because theres nothing pushing the balls into the gun. i would definately suggest an electronic hopper like the evolution 3 (aka eggy3) or halo or reloader Bs. they actually push the paint down, so that the paint doesnt try to "hop" back into the hopper when you shoot, which is a common occurrence on blowbacks like spyders. an agitated loader (like the revolution and other cheap electronic hoppers) don't do much except keep the hopper neck open so that you always feed a ball, but you still have that blowback problem.

what would be some good upgrades??...(already noobed out and got a CMI tru flight "precision rifled" barrel 21 inches...and because its 3 pieces in theory the 5 inch piece can be taken off to make it a 16 inch barrel. It claims extreme accuracy, tighter pattern, Greater distance, Spin free projection and Quiet performance. um, for one piece barrels (meaning barrels that don't come in kits), the only ones i would recommend would be the J&J Ceramic or 32 Degrees Whisper. CMI is pretty much an e-bay brand, so i doubt its quality stuff. also, before you buy anything else, get yourself a decent clamping feedneck, because your plastic one is bound to break sooner or later.

Is an Electronic Trigger worth it for like 40 or 60? yes, but you can find them on here used for about $30. are these legal (in general) and For instance if I go to a field and they only do semi - auto would they allow me just to use that setting on it? yes, and yes.
is this a good package?
http://www.firstcallpaintball.com/pages-productinfo/category-4545_4622/product-4905/paintball-tanks-and-acc-tank-packages-vl-beginner-nitro-loader-kit.html?zenid=e5824a3f25e395e9239d6f98bc45fd41
will the sonix with a stock semi auto trigger get to 12 balls a sec? like i mentioned before, an agitating hopper like that will only help stop jams in the hopper, and still leaves you with a good chance of chopping a ball once it gets into the gun.

oh, and welcome to the forums!

KaiserSosay
04-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all the information. :cool: Can't wait to test out the Sonix and the barrel.

http://www.paintballcmi.com/tech_talk_barrels.htm

Apparently they spent 3 -4 years researching and testing the linear riffling nonsense. Its a weird 3 piece barrel, I'm just Hoping that the 16" will work over the mean to be 21"sniper". Should be an improvement over the stock barrel on sonix.

DFSniper
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for all the information. :cool: Can't wait to test out the Sonix and the barrel.

http://www.paintballcmi.com/tech_talk_barrels.htm

Apparently they spent 3 -4 years researching and testing the linear riffling nonsense. Its a weird 3 piece barrel, I'm just Hoping that the 16" will work over the mean to be 21"sniper". Should be an improvement over the stock barrel on sonix.

you know, i hear that a lot, but the only "improvement" over a stock barrel, besides length, is the bore size, because unless you have a tried and true product, like the barrels i mentioned before (J&J is almost completely self-cleaning, and the whisper is REALLY quiet), people don't really just jump on the bandwagon. so if you're getting just any new barrel because "its better than stock" you're just really changing the bore, which could seriously affect your playing.

the CMI barrels, according to their site, are .688 backs. thats pretty big in paint terms, considering medium paint is about .685. so unless you shoot really big paint (check ottersccustoms.com for a paint and barrel size comparison), you'll most likely end up with problems. for example, i have 5 barrels, and 4 are large bore paint. well, last time i played, i didnt bother to do a paint to bore check, even though it was the first time i had used that paint. for the rest of the day, i couldnt get my velocity over 260, and couldnt figure out why. a few weeks later i was playing around at home and realized that my paint was falling straight through all 4 of my stock barrels, and even on the whisper it was still a pretty loose fit!

so, coming back on topic, i see the "rifling" as a marketing gimmick since i havent heard too much from people on here about how the actually affect performance.

KaiserSosay
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah i def got noobed =) haha , well thats kinda good because I hear that the Sonix FPS is a bit high, and that people suggest cutting the spring a bit to reduce to down to 300 ... so could even out with the BORE SIZE.

DFSniper
04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
yeah, i guess ever since the MR1, kingman has been putting stronger main springs in (which i don't understand!) but if you don't have fps problems, i'd stick with the stock barrel for now.

KaiserSosay
04-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Planning to go play pretty soon...Does the Sonix 07 have anti-double feed?
and
how could I flip the direction the tank goes, so it doesnt get in the way ... not really talking about a drop foward but about making the tank go 180 degrees from where it is now. would this be simple? and would it make sense?

TheDarkShadow
04-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Planning to go play pretty soon...Does the Sonix 07 have anti-double feed? yes, they're called detents
and
how could I flip the direction the tank goes, so it doesnt get in the way ... not really talking about a drop foward but about making the tank go 180 degrees from where it is now. would this be simple? and would it make sense?to me, it doesnt make sense you can do it though, you just need a couple 45* fittings answers in red

KaiserSosay
04-12-2008, 11:59 PM
thanks. I was looking at this

http://www.paintball-online.com/paintball/Kingman-Electronic-Rocking-Trigger-Frame_prod_FRMKERT

it says the suggested retail value is 230.... and

http://www.paintball-online.com/paintball/Kingman-E-Trigger-Electronic-Frame-for-Spyders_prod_FRMKETF

this is only suggested 109 ... so whats the deal with that?

DFSniper
04-13-2008, 02:06 AM
the rocking trigger is older, so the price has dropped more, but usually you can find the regular e-frame for cheaper than $85

KaiserSosay
04-13-2008, 05:51 AM
i saw the CAMD 2.0 or whatever for like 40 on firstcall... but how does the rocking trigger warrant like a 200 retail price while the other is not close. Is a rocking trigger expensive or something?

by the way thanks for the help

TheDarkShadow
04-13-2008, 12:24 PM
the rocking trigger in general is more expensive

DFSniper
04-13-2008, 12:46 PM
well, it used to be when it first came out.

on another note, "i have a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!!" - christopher walken as bruce ****inson

KaiserSosay
04-16-2008, 02:39 PM
so are you saying that the sonix is manure "cow-bell" ??

would upgrading the trigger help - with a good hopper?

is a rocking trigger legal?

bigred76
04-16-2008, 03:28 PM
No... he's just being odd.

Depends on what you're looking for in a gun, but I personally don't like the Rocking trigger. Feels ****ed up. That's just me, I prefer to walk my trigger myself. They are legal in most tournaments, but I'd email your local tournament coordinator and ask before putting money down to do a tournament with that.

KaiserSosay
04-26-2008, 05:01 AM
so what would i need to flip the tank around ? you said 45 degree fittings? im kinda confused on that.

DFSniper
04-26-2008, 05:14 AM
so are you saying that the sonix is manure "cow-bell" ??

would upgrading the trigger help - with a good hopper?

is a rocking trigger legal?

sorry, i was referring to TheDarkShadow's avatar.

as for flipping the tank around, you can unscrew the ASA and flip it around, then get 2 90 degree fittings, so that the hole for the air hose points forward again.