PDA

View Full Version : CO2 and LP

alam3503
04-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I have been pondering this for a while, and I know the answer is that you can not do it. However I want to know why it is not possible. Why can you not run CO2 at a low pressure? CO2 expands at 800PSI (right), if I was able to keep all liquid out of the regulator and put it at say 400PSI what would happen? Does the gas still expand to 800 after it passed the reg? Has anyone even tried? I may just be over thinking it but now I need to know. Thanks for the input.

bigred76
04-09-2008, 12:08 AM
It's perfectly possible. Think of it this way: with the regulator set to 300psi, the gas (not liquid, at that low of a pressure, the gas has plenty of time to expand between shots in the hosing between the ASA and reg) is let through and does not expand any further unless it's put in direct, 110* sunlight.

I'm too tired to explain it all, but that's the jist of it. My Spyder was running off LP 285fps @ 215psi (I think that was the number, it was low 200psi's), and it worked GREAT! The new RS series can use CO2 as well as it has the vertical regulator. If you were to try LP with a VS series or AMG style bottomline regulator, then it would hamper your ability to keep pressure down if it's a warm days the gas would expand after the regulator. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be able to go LP, it just means it will have a worse consistency than with a vertical regulator.

vikingshadow
04-09-2008, 04:52 AM
You can use Co2 with LP, you just need to make sure you Anti-Syphon your tank.

DFSniper
04-09-2008, 05:02 AM
yeah, i don't see why you wouldn't be able to. the main problem you'll run into is your limit on what regs can handle co2, since most can't, although some will work if you swap o-rings.

alam3503
04-09-2008, 06:55 AM
well thanks for the input....I just never heard any person doing it. I ASmight give it a try, or not.

DFSniper
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
i'm doing it right now. all i need is a new valve and i'm done. but i'm going to run it without the anti-siphon at first.

bigred76
04-09-2008, 02:52 PM
I ran mine without an anti-siphon for the entire time I had it. Did just fine! If I hadn't have upgraded guns, I mighta made it more permanent and anti-siphoned the tank, but I didn't feel it was needed.

vikingshadow
04-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Ah, I ALWAYS a/s'd all my Co2 tanks, LP or not. I fired a lot pretty fast and got tired of freezing regs. I also wanted to stop problems before they happened, so I'd A/S the tank first. Only cost me about 6 bucks, so why not?

DFSniper
04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
i'm going to do it, but my 20oz is out of hydro, so i'm not going to bother getting it A/S'd now. i'll probably wait until i get a 24oz. i've never had a reg actually freeze over, but yeah, trying to hold an ice-cold reg sucks!

alam3503
04-09-2008, 09:15 PM
thanks for the info everyone...i will prob a/s and go get a reg now...and the others for lp.

bigred76
04-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I think I have a tank still laying around somewhere that I tried anti-siphoning somewhere still.... Have a professional airsmith do it, or only do it if you are confident enough in yourself to do it properly (AND have experience!).

Vike, I was running at a low enough of a pressure I didn't have much reg freezing. I kept the stock board in it to keep the cap (damn, I was cheap back then!) at 14bps, even though I had a damn sick trigger and a 50g lever switch. If I needed to adjust dwell, I'd move the solenoid assembly to compensate. Worked fairly well for what it was. :)

Sascha... ever licked a light pole over in Germany when it was snowing? Yeah, much the same, except with your hand.... lotsa fun! :dodgy: