PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new MR1 last weekend... wat to add first?

gascan1888
04-08-2008, 07:39 PM
So i bought a mr1 the other day. after fixing the leaking O-ring :mad2: i shot some more. so im thinking about a 16" j&j barrel and a derlin bolt to start out with. but should i go with the low blow bolt or not ? lookin for input. and feel free with any other suggestions.

Hossy
04-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the forums!
Take a look at the Ultimate Resource Thread in my sig, it has alot of answers there, and it is a good read for people who are new to the game, and new to spyders.

Id get a new barrel, a bolt (the low blow is nice) and a new loader if possible

XSiv Force
04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
Yep I agree :yeahthat:

bigred76
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Again... :yeahthat: J&J's are some good barrels, and the LowBlow from ACP won't do ya wrong.

Another thing... to reduce leaks and general wear and tear drop a couple drops of paintball oil into the ASA of the marker (without barrel or hopper on it) before screwing in the CO2 tank, and let off a string of 20 or so shots to cycle the oil through the marker.

irishwarrior
04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I could suggest quite a few things but, it depends on how you plan to use it.

deano 177
04-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Barrel, feed neck, then what ever else. You won't be sorry if you change the feed neck.

DFSniper
04-09-2008, 03:46 PM
hopper AND feedneck, then barrel.

irishwarrior
04-09-2008, 03:50 PM
^ and regulator

DFSniper
04-09-2008, 03:58 PM
i think you're getting ahead of yourself, we're doing basic upgrades first. besides, a reg doesnt do any good without a new valve (i learned that the hard way :()

irishwarrior
04-09-2008, 04:00 PM
^noted:)

bigred76
04-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Actually... it does do some good before the valve. Hell, I never did get around to getting a new valve in my Spyder. Worked just fine with everything polished as an LP marker. When the gun was still stock, I put my regulator on it and got it tweaked down to about 600psi, and it reduced a lot of the "chatter" stock Spyders have.

DFSniper
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM
you just got lucky... :D

actually, i realized that part of my problem was that my paint was too small, so 600psi stock sounds about right. but still, if the OP doesnt want to tinker or mod it a lot, i'd stay away from a reg on an MR for now.

gunz52
04-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Get a rail for some scopes, sights , and lasers. Its only $15

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=wWlnkySi7vZnpGNfsx-nOy52v6GbZxAi-1s=?ProductID=EnnAqArbkoEAAAEV3_BlKySO

And yea a 16" would nice...

irishwarrior
04-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Get a rail for some scopes, sights , and lasers. Its only $15

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=wWlnkySi7vZnpGNfsx-nOy52v6GbZxAi-1s=?ProductID=EnnAqArbkoEAAAEV3_BlKySO

And yea a 16" would nice...

Lasers are banned on most fields, and for good reason, you could blind someone with one of those. Scopes aren't good for paintball just because the ballistics of a paintball make it inherently inaccurate (almost round ball filled with liquid, traveling slowly). But, for sniping a red-dot would be a good idea (infinite eye-relief FTW!!!)

gascan1888
04-10-2008, 04:31 AM
well i plan to use it mostly on weekends with my friends, but they got some pretty good guns also. im looking to build somthing reliable and accurate. a new bolt,barrel, and hopper are probably gona be my first upgrades. does anyone have a qloader ? if so how do you like it ? but the barrel is most likly gona be a 16" J&J, and the bolt of course a derlin, but low blow or not ? wat is the real difference?

TheDarkShadow
04-10-2008, 07:22 AM
you WILL want a new feedneck too

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=sVGYl69S-7WZ3uisnsxYP6WbeBvYoy7jsoQ=?ProductID=F9XAqArb_bUA AAESEvQHibVO << you better hurry there's only one left

cyberthrasher_706
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
you WILL want a new feedneck too

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=sVGYl69S-7WZ3uisnsxYP6WbeBvYoy7jsoQ=?ProductID=F9XAqArb_bUA AAESEvQHibVO << you better hurry there's only one left
or you can just go to CCM (http://www.sundragonpps.com/catalog/item/3373201/3253594.htm) and get their mr series vertical feed adapter with a no rise feed neck for the same price and it doesn't say "Trinity" in big white lettering. Plus they're always in stock.

DFSniper
04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
but it does say CCM in big white lettering. :D

gascan1888
04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
yeh you can get those feed necks on ebay easy enough. but i want to know the difference between a "low blow bolt" and a regular bolt ?

DFSniper
04-10-2008, 05:29 PM
the low blow directs air towards the bottom of the ball instead of around it, adding spin, much like the tippmann flatline barrel. personally, i wouldnt bother with one.

Panther36
04-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Dude, dump the MR1. I've had one for 2 years now and it has caused me so much trouble. Stick with a more reliable brand. I definitely recommend tippmann or bt. Get a BT-4, or 98. Heck if you have the money upgrade to some of their higher models.

DFSniper
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM
maybe the problem was the gun, not the brand. i honestly don't think its safe to jump to conclusions about brand A is better than brand B because one gun out of 500,000 is a lemon, and i got stuck with the lemon and didnt bother trying to make lemonade!

irishwarrior
04-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I've had my MR1 for about 2 years and the only problem I had was a minor leak that was easily fixed by replacing the o-rings. IMO they are a great starting gun. I would recommend playing with it a couple of times first, and see what could be improved, how you play with it, what you would like it to do/do better, etc.

gascan1888
04-12-2008, 04:10 AM
well ive played with it a few times, and have come to the conclusion that its pretty accurate if i keep the shots to a slow rate. ive also found i can out shoot the verticle feed.

TheDarkShadow
04-12-2008, 05:23 AM
ive also found i can out shoot the verticle feed.

That can be fixed by getting an electronic hopper, like a revvy

cyberthrasher_706
04-12-2008, 09:03 AM
but it does say CCM in big white lettering. :D
That's funny, Mine doesn't. I wasn't sure so I had to go check.

Am I the only one that noticed the irony in the fact that someone who calls themselves an "MR1 Panther" is bashing Spyder and the MR1 all in the same post. Some people are so confused.

gascan1888
04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
That can be fixed by getting an electronic hopper, like a revvy

yeh i was thinkin about a qloader, anybody have any opinions ?

Am I the only one that noticed the irony in the fact that someone who calls themselves an "MR1 Panther" is bashing Spyder and the MR1 all in the same post. Some people are so confused.

i was thinking the same thing!! and if he thinks there junk why hang out in the catagory for MR1s ?

TheDarkShadow
04-12-2008, 12:59 PM
yeh i was thinkin about a qloader, anybody have any opinions ?

I dont have any personal experience, but people seem to like it after they get it set up correctly

Lonus
04-12-2008, 07:38 PM
I have one and have quit using it. It works well enough. The low profile is great. The problems I have with are only holding 100 rounds. Reloading the pods with the silo is a real pain. Both of these can be dealt with. My biggest problem was that the constant pressure on the balls in the feed tube causes dimpling. It is like shooting wiffle balls.

gascan1888
04-16-2008, 04:52 PM
did the "wiffle ball paint balls" effect accuracy

slim and shady
04-16-2008, 06:06 PM
I have an MR1 and that thing is a work horse I have to say that is my Sh** and abuse gun I use it all winter long (Canadian winters, we play as low as -20 below freezing) and it gets covered in snow the barrel fills up with snow and it just keeps on going. I had one problem when the striker o-ring streached and thats it. That was an easy fix and not a word of a lie on the scenario I last went to it was -18 below freezing and anyone with a spyder was playing all the tippy guys were huddled around the fire wondering why there markers wouldnt shoot.

As for the Q-loader I have never had that problem how tight are your prewinds? i really like the Q-loader infact i just bought another one now i have 2. But i will agree it is a pain with the 100 RND pods you seem to run out when you need it most. But other then that its great.

gascan1888
04-17-2008, 07:14 PM
i played with it again and decided it defiantly needs better accuracy and a hopper. i blew a few blanks today. so im thinking a 16" or 18" j&j barrel for accuracy, wat do u think? is there any thing else i can do for straight shots

irishwarrior
04-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Apex would allow you to control the curve of the ball. Personally, my Smart Parts Progressive 14" is one of the more accurate barrels out there.

slim and shady
04-19-2008, 08:50 AM
if you want accuracy the best thing to get is a barrel kit. I have a 7 peice Empire one and i love it. i also mounted the Apex tip to it. Your accuracy to an extent is controlled by paint to barrel match. By using a barrel kit you can get as close as you dare regardless of the paint you choose to use.
I have also used the 14" Progressive and that is a great barrel i had that on my MR2 for a long time. It's a good choice to. The Apex barrel is another one i have and i love it however I just take the tip off and put it on whatever barrel i choose.

spyderguy208
04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
i played with it again and decided it defiantly needs better accuracy and a hopper. i blew a few blanks today. so im thinking a 16" or 18" j&j barrel for accuracy, wat do u think? is there any thing else i can do for straight shots

IMO you don't need an 18" unless you are going to be sniping. A 16" would be good, but personally I love my 14" J&J. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if the barrel gets too long, accuracy will still increase, but at the cost of velocity, which could affect whether or not the ball breaks. I think 14" is a good compromise between the two. My 2 cents

gascan1888
04-21-2008, 05:06 PM
yeh im gona go with the 16" wen i have the money. but hopefully my new bolt will be here soon

deano 177
04-22-2008, 10:09 AM
IMO you don't need an 18" unless you are going to be sniping. A 16" would be good, but personally I love my 14" J&J. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if the barrel gets too long, accuracy will still increase, but at the cost of velocity, which could affect whether or not the ball breaks. I think 14" is a good compromise between the two. My 2 centsIt doesn't matter if you shoot 280 fps from a 2" barrel or a 20" barrel. Once it comes out of the barrel it will still go the same distance. It just takes more air to move it through the 20" barrel and still shoot 280 fps. Longer barrels just hold the ball in a straighter path longer and objects that are in motion tend to follow the path that they are directed. The only barrels that will increase distance are the APEX and the FLATLINES. They do this by putting backspin on the ball, which in turn causes lift. That is why those balls seem to be "floating" when they are just out of range... you may experience impact velocity issues with these type of shots...

slim and shady
04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
longer barrels do not increase your accuracy at all, its a myth. What determins accuracy is a good paint to bore match. I have used the apex alot and have never had trouble with the ball not breaking I find it to be one of the best barrels out there IMO. With that being said i have the apex tip on my Empire 7 peice barrel kit. That way i have the longer shots if I want or, if I am within range I have the best accuract i can get because of the good paint to barrle match.

gascan1888
04-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Well my new bolt should be here tomrow, i just ordered my 16" j&j, and a apache Ricochet, plus a few O rings and a new squeegee. so ill have to see how i like it now.

gascan1888
04-27-2008, 02:44 PM
well i got it all put together and thought i would post a few pics.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/gascan18/PIC-0106.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/gascan18/PIC-0107.jpg

although i was having a hell of a time with chopping balls. im gona try to swap detents and hopefuly that will work.