PDA

View Full Version : Does the MR1 need an electronic hopper?

gunz52
04-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Ok, so I am deciding weither to spend my $30 on a VL Revolution Hopper or a J&J 14in Spyder Barrel (http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=N5ZW_t8Dfg1WA5j4OHSWVtXKvie1Nl6yNEM=?Pro ductID=16nAqArbzPgAAAEB7Mdekd7n#) and I was just wondering...so the MR1 runs smoothly with a gravity feed hopper?

bigred76
04-08-2008, 12:15 AM
In and of itself, no. If you shoot faster than the shake 'n bake (gravity fed hopper) can feed, then yes, get one right away. It'll make it so you don't chop which can ruin a day of play. If you don't shoot that much and decide to "snipe" or whatever the hell you kiddies are calling it, then get the barrel.

cyberthrasher_706
04-08-2008, 07:01 AM
If you're shooting stock, go for the barrel. If you can pull the trigger fast enough on a mechanical mr1 to start breaking balls, than if you have the j&j you can usually just shoot through it anyway. I know I can't shoot that fast though, and I don't really need to. I learned how to aim.

bigred76
04-08-2008, 10:44 AM
The accuracy depletion from one broken ball, even if it's shot through a J&J, is horrid. That's all I'm saying, lest this be another "snipzorz" war. :rolleyes:

cyberthrasher_706
04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Honestly, I've never broken a ball in my mr-1, even after several cases. That's just a judgment based on research and others opinions. I'll admit, I could be terribly wrong. Hopefully I'll never find out.

bigred76
04-08-2008, 12:14 PM
That's what my friend keeps saying... "Those aren't chops, just bad balls!" :rolleyes: Just wait until you find out that if you fire one ball right after another, you have a 9/10 chance of a break. Sometimes you think the first shot's good, but I don't trust that anymore. Been playing far too long to think that my first shot will always break right on an opponent.

cyberthrasher_706
04-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I'm still saying go for the barrel and not an upgraded hopper. Granted, I just looked at the link he provided and realized, I've never played with that barrel, just the j&j ceramic. So this whole conversation, though off-topic at points, may have been completely useless on my end. But, a barrel is always a better upgrade before the hopper. Doesn't matter how fast you feed the balls if you don't have a quality barrel to shoot them through.

gunz52
04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Ok, question...why is the S2 barrel $2 more than the crematic barrels? Cause the 16" J&J is only $30 while this 14" is $32. Whats the difference. And it a 16" kinda akward to use if you dont really have a scope yet?

bigred76
04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
You don't need a scope.... any barrel from 12-16" pretty much handles the same.

No clue why the price difference, but they're pretty much the same. My bet is that the only difference is in the materials: the Ceramic is (duh) partially ceramic, while the S2 is aluminum. The material won't matter too much as they both use the same honing and polishing methods, resulting in accuracy and performance that is about the same.

gunz52
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Ok, thanks. I will probly buy th 16" barrel then and worry about a sniper type scope later.

gunz52
04-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Damn, its like a split decision...50/50 that I chop, but yet again a long barrel is awesome.

Jungle_Expert
04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
That depends on how fast you pull the trigger (how fast you fire). I use to have mine with a gravity hopper, but sometimes the balls stood on the hopper, now I have a Viewloader Eye Force, and it works great.

Hossy
04-08-2008, 08:17 PM
a long barrel doesnt do anything for your gun. It just wastes more air, and youll get alot more kick.

EVERY GUN NEEDS AN ELECTRIC HOPPER
/thread
dont waste your money, get the essentials first.

N_Dub_Spyder
04-14-2008, 07:37 AM
a long barrel doesnt do anything for your gun. It just wastes more air, and youll get alot more kick.

EVERY GUN NEEDS AN ELECTRIC HOPPER
/thread
dont waste your money, get the essentials first.

Cut and dry, right to the point... Good answer:cool:

sergioelchido
04-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Hi there!
well I don't have that much experience, but shooting my MR1 at 2-3 bps its cool.
I have a gravity hopper I don't use a whole lot of paint coz I got the high rise rail from the MR3 and a red dot sight, I got a trinity 16'' M16 barrel and man...its really accurate, I can shot 6 targets the size of a can at 25 feet in 3 seconds 100% hit ratio. (Get good paint)
The electronic Hopper depends on how fast can you pull the trigger on the MR1.
If I were to upgrade my marker with the E-trigger frame (which I will, later on) I would prolly go for an electronic hopper, at full auto at 13-15 bps you need it.
I'd say it depends on how do you like to play (well aimed shots or a barrage of paint )
If you have a stock MR1 with no E trigger...
I would go for the barrel and an scope
(you guys have it easy, you should try getting paintball s.hit here in mexico it$ freakin expen$$$$$ive)
anyway I hope my post helped

slim and shady
04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Personaly i would sugest to grab a hopper over the barrel at this stage in the game. Knowing that a ball is in the chamber eachtime you pull the trigger is more valuble then any barrel if the paint cant find its way down to it anyway.

N_Dub_Spyder
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
That is a good point Slim. If one were not able to buy both at the same time (like I said above) I too would start with the hopper.

XSiv Force
04-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Id end up flipping a coin but im more in favor of a barrel.....But i think, never used an aluminum, the only problem with the aluminum over the ceramic is when the barrel heats up due to the sun it might increase in size or if its cold shrink....but as i said never used an aluminum

Blazen James
04-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Id end up flipping a coin but im more in favor of a barrel.....But i think, never used an aluminum, the only problem with the aluminum over the ceramic is when the barrel heats up due to the sun it might increase in size or if its cold shrink....but as i said never used an aluminum

I believe the stock barrel for the MR1 is aluminum.