PDA

View Full Version : Paint size / barrel size

netblue
04-07-2008, 09:43 AM
The locally available paint is too small for the stock barrel (as well as my All American barrel). What is everyone using out there with the stock barrel, everything I can buy here just rolls out of the barrel... I would order something online, but I want to find something that works first.

bigred76
04-07-2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrelc.html

www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html

;)

netblue
04-08-2008, 03:21 PM
I have reviewed that before, it lists medium paint for the all american, which I have tried with zero success (at least the ones i can get my hands on). I was really looking for what people are using themselves, some real hands on, charts only get you so far.

king-man
04-08-2008, 03:48 PM
get a freak back, that away you can use what ever paint you want, and paint shouldnt be rolling out of your barrel no matter what, might want to check your detents

bigred76
04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Zero success? How so? As far as getting a big enough paint for it? It's a .691/.692 bore barrel, so anything will fit through it. Unless you bring the barrel down to the shop and ask for a bore matching paint, you won't get too far. I'm willing to bet that they won't have a paint that'll match it perfectly, but will get it close to it.

Also, if this is a Spyder, it should not have that issue. Make sure your screws on the detent covers work are snugged down good, and if the issue persists, check the detents.

netblue
04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
The problem isn't paint rolling out of the gun, the detents work great. If you follow Otter's guide, he notes that you should be able to take your barrel off of your marker, place a single paintball into it. It should NOT roll out of the barrel, it should require you to blow gently to get it to go through. Blowing hard means the paint is too large. I have a stock VS2 barrel, if I take any of the paint that I can buy at the local shop, place it in the barrel, it rolls out of that baby like a bearing ball. I don't want matched paint or anything like that, I just want some paint that doesn't roll out of the barrel.

@user who suggested a freak barrel
If your willing to part with some cash, I'm willing to purchase one... :)

bigred76
04-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Haha, I hear ya there... problem is, without an insert kit, you're pretty much doomed to run paints that don't always fit right. The barrels that come stock on guns are "over-bored" to match almost every paint out there, so a little slack is to be expected. I personally intentionally overbore with my guns (except on my Autococker, can't do it with that!) so that I don't have any issues with barrel breaks while playing.

A little hint, though... usually, lower grade paints (don't go too low, mid-grade is the lowest I'd even consider, when it breaks half the time when I hit the opponent) come in a larger bore. If your local paintball shop is good, they should open the cases of paint and check for breaks before selling it to you. If such is the case, as I'd hope it would be, then you might be able to ask the owner of the store before asking to buy a case of paint if he has anything that might fit better in your barrel. If he opens cases for customers to check the quality, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to check the paint bore against your barrel. Start at the low-mid grade stuff and move up from there.

If your local shop doesn't carry anything like that, ask the shop owner. He might be considering stocking some and, who knows, he might just need one more person asking for it to convince him. If he can't give it to you, then maybe your local Walmart, Richard's (stupid swear filter! it blocks out ****'s) Sporting Goods, or SportsMart/SportsChalet should stock the low grade stuff. Buy only paint that comes in a case, and do not buy anything like "BonusBalls" or stuff that looks like it might be cheap. Stay far, far away from ZAP paints as well.

netblue
04-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the advice, there is a "Richards" near by, I think they carry some RPS Stinger or something similar, I might try that.

bigred76
04-09-2008, 07:16 AM
RPS is a good, solid brand of paint, should be decent stuff. Stinger rings a bell in the back of my mind, and if it's what I think it is, it might just be what you're looking for.