PDA

View Full Version : Potentially the best NHL game of the year.

badlandsrox
04-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Wow! thats all i can say after watching tonights game between the Calgary Flames and Vancouver Canucks. Virtually nothing riding on the game, except possibly calgarys seeding in the playoffs, and the game was lackluster at best (7-1 Calgary), and there was very little contact the entire game. But the respect that both teams showed for each other was beyond anything that I have ever seen in professional sport. From the beginning of the game, there was little contact between either team, even as calgary put point after point on the board. Now to the real story here, it started off at the beginning of the third, with Trevor Linden getting a standing ovation (Calgary backed off, and also joined in with the standing ovation- showing the class of the team) then fast forward to 5 minuites left in the game, henrik sedin blocks his own player to allow jarome iginla get his milestone 50th goal of the year. With a minuite left, linden was left alone in the offensive zone, with everyone almost clearing the way to give him a shot at getting a goal in potentially his last game in the NHL, but he fanned on the shot. Finally at the end of the game, Trevor Linden got a HUGE ovation from the Vancouver crowd, no suprise there, but the real suprise was the class of the calgary flames, who all lined up and congratulated him on his career, the line of flames, headed by... you guessed it, Jarome Iginla (Who Linden personally told at the end of the game was possibly the best player that he has ever played against).
It is not often that this level of class is seen in professional sports anymore, its become more of a gong show, with players not respecting fellow players (ie. Todd Bertuzzi incident). If any of you get the chance to see the highlights of this game on ESPN, or youtube, or anything of the sorts, watch it, its well worth it.

HelpDeskHustler
04-06-2008, 07:35 AM
so wait. You're telling me there were no fights?

timmyshoota
04-06-2008, 06:09 PM
lol@hockey