PDA

View Full Version : C02 + Ion?

MR_MILL5MAN
04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Ive heard mixed opionions on this sum say no problem, some say it completely destroys it, i live in an area of c02 only so should i just pass on the ion? Thinking bout sp1 would that be better?

Critical
04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
The SP1/Vibe (they are identical internally) will work with CO2, but you should use anti-siphoned tanks, they still have a few very minor reports of issues, but nowhere near what the Ion does.

tumtum00
04-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a ion, i use compressed air, and if i run out, i use a 20 oz tank about half full, with a remote line and make sure the co2 filter is in the hole the reg screws into. I wouldn't recommend it, because with stock reg you will have shoot down, and co2 will kill the noid if any liquid gets in it. You might look into getting the sp1, my buddy has one with a black heart board, and it throws some ropes. good luck with whatever you take on.

Critical
04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
The blackheart board for the SP1 hasn't come out yet, unless your buddy has done some serious modifications so that it'll use the Ion/Eos/Epiphany board. The newer SP1's do come with Select Fire, which means that you can choose between semi, 3-rd burst and full auto, but it still has an 11 bps cap.

Other than that, tumtum00 is correct, the remote acts as the anti-siphon.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Correct me if this is wrong, but if i ran a remote line with the ion, if i had the tank sitting straight up in my pack with the screw in going up it would keep the liquid at the bottom and be ok? anyone know?

mr1newbie
04-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Correct me if this is wrong, but if i ran a remote line with the ion, if i had the tank sitting straight up in my pack with the screw in going up it would keep the liquid at the bottom and be ok? anyone know?
Yeah, the liquid will stay at the bottom of the tank, like with an anti-siphoned tank.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-04-2008, 03:03 PM
so an ion with that setup would be fine on c02?

Critical
04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
No, it would be better, but you would still be using a marker designed for air with CO2.

If you only have CO2 fills available, look for markers that are designed to work with it, instead of getting something else, and having to spend extra money to cobble something together that might or might not work correctly.

tumtum00
04-04-2008, 03:53 PM
No, it would be better, but you would still be using a marker designed for air with CO2.

If you only have CO2 fills available, look for markers that are designed to work with it, instead of getting something else, and having to spend extra money to cobble something together that might or might not work correctly.

what he said is exactly right, even with a remote line the tank needs to be about half full to begin with, cause even though the liquid is supposed to stay at the bottom if you push the pin in then liquid will come out, and shooting at the ramping max of 17bps, you will get the internals extremely cold at best, and probably get some liquid co2 in the noid, The only time is use my remote line and co2 with mine is testing a barrel or just target practice. but the shootdown is really bad with stock reg and co2. I would recommend a hp tank if you go with compressed air. There are options like a scuba tank and fill station. which makes it easy to go the weekend without getting air. i get around 1200 shots from my 72/3000 tanks, mine is stock but i do have a qev on it.

deano 177
04-04-2008, 04:14 PM
I don't see why you just don't get something that works with co2. There are plenty of good quality, fast shooting markers that work with co2. I wouldn't take a chance on freezing the internals of the marker. If you went with a vs1 you could run co2 and still get a pretty good rate of fire. just my .02.

TheDarkShadow
04-04-2008, 06:01 PM
you can use anti siphon co2 tanks with an ion...http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=x0eBa94nqJiApJnRG7lBw9TzYgc0tzOcMXo=?Pro ductID=I0XAqArbomIAAAERQWAXKjhX , if it wasn't safe, would they sell it in an ion kit?

Critical
04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
...if it wasn't safe, would they sell it in an ion kit?

Yes.

Further, it's not about safety, it's about the proper functioning of the marker.

deano 177
04-04-2008, 07:20 PM
They sell scilencers, too but that don't make them legal!

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 04:28 AM
yeah, i know that a sp1 works good thats another marker i was looking at any opionins on it?

Critical
04-05-2008, 05:26 AM
I love mine. Although, it's spent more time in pieces than at the field because I can't leave it alone. It's reasonably quiet, has decent efficiency, is comfortable, customizable, is easy to operate and maintain, and it's very well made for it's price tag.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 05:34 AM
Yeah it does have a nice price tag

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 12:28 PM
But does anyone know what kind of upgrades to put on the sp1?, barrels etc...

king-man
04-05-2008, 12:32 PM
barrels allways my first choice upgrading a gun, id say a feedneck if the stock one is anything like ions feednecks.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 01:03 PM
buy any specific barrel?

Critical
04-05-2008, 04:56 PM
That depends on your price range, the freak system is very good, as is the Deadlywind barrel that uses freak inserts. On the lower end, the J&J barrels always get good reviews.

The feedneck is not like the Ion, thank God, it's more like the Ego than anything else.

For other upgrades, here is what some have done:

Functional
L7 Bolt - no report of any improvement, since the stock SP1 bolt is basically the Firebolt, also, no boards out right now support more than rudimentary dwell changes, so internal upgrades are beside the point.
Regulators - the vertical max-flo is a good regulator, and the stock one is integrated nicely with the mil-sim look of the marker. Others have used the CP regs. Any standard ASA threaded reg will work.
Double Trigger - this replacement trigger and guard allows for faster trigger walking, though still regulated to 11 bps, strictly a preference item until faster boards arrive.
Feedneck - Trinity makes their lever lock feedneck for the SP1, so if you don't want to have to fiddle with allen bolts to tighten the loader down, this might be good.
Barrel - covered above, however, this is still new, people are still figuring out what barrels fit inside the shroud, some report that Freak barrels don't fit, others, like me, they fit fine. Just make sure the tail of the barrel isn't too thick and you will be okay.

cosmetic
Tactical accessories like bipods, flashlights, bayonets, sights, etc
Stock - Right now there's CAR style and wire that are direct bolt ons, other Tippmann 98 stocks will fit with a $20 adapter, but again, people are still discovering which ones work and which ones don't.

Ion Compatible Parts
The only parts that can cross over from the Ion are the bolt, barrel and regulator. The firing can is different so the epiphany adjustable firing can will not fit, nor will QEV's or anything else. Now, that's the official word, someone somewhere may have gotten other parts to work, but they're being quiet about it.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks dude uve been alot of help,... I think once i sell my mr2 im gonna pick up the sp1

Critical
04-05-2008, 05:02 PM
No problem. Glad to help.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 05:05 PM
last question and ill be done, are there any stocks that u dont need the adapter for?

Critical
04-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Yes, Trinity makes both CAR style and wire stocks that do not require the adapter, they bolt up in place of the backplate.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Ok critcal last question and i promise im done, whats the stock barrels performance like?

bigred76
04-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm gonna sneak in with a response here. The stock barrel is probably about the same as an Ion's stock barrel, but with a muzzle break. Basically, you're going to need another one. A general rule of thumb is that stock barrels suck, until you hit the really high ends (DM's with the UL, Angel's with their kits, MacDevs with the Matchstick, Palmers with their brass barrels, etc etc).

MR_MILL5MAN
04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
yeah most low end stock barrels are crap,...thinking bout a progressive they make one that will fit a sp1 right?

bigred76
04-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Yup. It's an Impulse/Ion threaded gun I believe, so any of those threaded barrels will work.

Critical
04-05-2008, 07:27 PM
The stock barrel has actually performed very well compared to other stock barrels. I couldn't really say one way or the other, since I upgraded my barrel right away.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Thanks to everyone who posted, specically critical and bigred u all helped me out alot, Got an offer on my mr2 as long as it goes through ill be ordering my sp1 as soon as i can

SPYDERGUY
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't put Co2 with the ion I hear it really damages the gun even with anti-siphon (note: just heard not fact) ;)

king-man
04-07-2008, 04:24 PM
...some report that Freak barrels don't fit, others, like me, they fit fine...
could be like the way they changed the 07 freak spyder threaded back in the middle of the year, they made the back of the back smaller so it would fit the mr2 and vs3, especially since it is a SP gun i would say this is a definate possibility

Critical
04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
It very well could be, however, I've been able to slide my ancient cocker threaded back inside the shroud, as well as my spyder threaded back, others have been able to put on the new style back. I think it has to do with changes in the production line of the SP1, but again, that's just a guess.