PDA

View Full Version : Getting Semi-Pro/Pro Ref job?

gunz52
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I didnt know if you would have to start out small with local buisnesses or colud you just apply to do it??

DFSniper
04-01-2008, 05:56 PM
most professional refs are from pro teams that arent participating in the tourney.

ttam13xlpb
04-01-2008, 06:05 PM
and im pretty sure they go through a few ref clinics also

gunz52
04-01-2008, 06:13 PM
dude, like whats it take to be on pro teams besides a ****load of money? lol

DFSniper
04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
um, lots of skill and practice. the teams themselves dont even have a lot of money, they get their sponsors to front most of it because they do such a good job of supporting their product.

but yeah, i think for major events, you have to be a certified ref.

Muddytaco
04-01-2008, 06:27 PM
nppl and psp have ref clinics you go to in order to get certified, from there you start in low division and work your way up.

xsvly-fat
04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
:yeahthat:

it takes a little bit of time but it would be a really cool job

VS3 Sniper
04-02-2008, 11:03 AM
nppl and psp have ref clinics you go to in order to get certified, from there you start in low division and work your way up.

:yeahthat: It's alot harder than you would imagine my brother and I both reffed in northern california for a good while. About 90% being pro/semi pro teams. Most of the teams themselves are down to earth but with that kind of job be prepaired to catch alot of crap. Lets put it like this you will work your butt off, we each had 2 masks that way we could switch between games when the foam on one got too sweaty, we could switch to the other while the first one was drying. Your on your feet most of the day running, yelling, getting shot when someone didnt like the call. The best advice i can give you is go to work at the busiest field near you. And start from there its gonna take alot of experence to do it at the profesional level.

xsvly-fat
04-02-2008, 01:38 PM
im not going to post it cause i may get banned but have you seen when the naguhty dogs boycotted the nppl (i think its the nppl i may be wrong though), thats the kind of crap you have to put up with

MR2 Woodsballer
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Joy divison your thinking about. I will say that not all reffs do a great job. I have delt with that myself playing around the country. Yes my brother and I have both been reffs and to be honest. I can't go to some fields without getting flustrated at how crappy the reffing is. I think what kind of stuff is this. I would have been fired on the spot if I would have been that lazy. Most fields now adays are reffed by kids who honestly don't care. If you work your hardest and don't fall into the rotuine of slacking off when you should be working would shouldn't have many if any problems. Who knows if you really do enjoy it you might decide to go to a clenic and get certifed to reff on the profesional level.

xsvly-fat
04-02-2008, 02:52 PM
oh sorry it was psp my bad. but i know what you mean about how some refs do horrible at their jobs

gunz52
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
So, where are these ref clinics located? Ive reffed at local fields before lots...im 17 so how old do you have to be to be a pro one?

king-man
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
id say 18 or 21, either legal to smoke or drink

gunz52
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Damn...:| I thought like 16 at the least...

LostCause
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
start off small at your local field and toruny series, nobody will take a real look at you as a ref if you have no experience, go to the NPPL clinic then keep going up.

Ace24
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
:yeahthat: It's alot harder than you would imagine my brother and I both reffed in northern california for a good while. About 90% being pro/semi pro teams. Most of the teams themselves are down to earth but with that kind of job be prepaired to catch alot of crap. Lets put it like this you will work your butt off, we each had 2 masks that way we could switch between games when the foam on one got too sweaty, we could switch to the other while the first one was drying. Your on your feet most of the day running, yelling, getting shot when someone didnt like the call. The best advice i can give you is go to work at the busiest field near you. And start from there its gonna take alot of experence to do it at the profesional level.

Couldn't have said it better.

I've worked at our Premier indoor field for 2 years now. It's A LOT of work. You get very little respect, and you get low pay. I've been offered to work at AXBL events, but I turned it down. Why? I don't think I could take that amount of pressure with the amount of stress I already have in my life. You make one bad call, and they're after you.

I'm happy working at my local field.

xsvly-fat
04-03-2008, 06:02 PM
So, where are these ref clinics located? Ive reffed at local fields before lots...im 17 so how old do you have to be to be a pro one?

i know they did one in arizona a few months ago. i think the age limit was like 16 (not sure though) and it was a few hundred bucks

DFSniper
04-03-2008, 06:17 PM
check this out if you want to be a certified ref:
http://www.paintball-pti.com/orderpage.asp