PDA

View Full Version : MR1 Problem

raven14
03-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Got a problem. Just recently bought an MR1. Was using it for the second time this past weekend and I was having problems with the bolt jamming after about every 5-10 shots. I would fire then the bolt would jam and was stuck about half way. I then would have to cock it back in order to fire after it jammed. It seems to be happening only when using paint. I dry fired it rapidly with no paint and had no problems. When I was experiencing the jamming I was not firing at a fast rate of fire. I was having some issues like this the first time I used it but it was really bad this past weekend. Some people say it may be the hopper.

N_Dub_Spyder
03-31-2008, 03:28 PM
It could be the the hopper not feeding good enough. Have you tried disassembling the gun, cleaning, oiling and putting it back together??? A good "tune up" may help you. Just a thought.

deano 177
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
First thing I would try would be to clean the marker really well. Make sure there is nothing gumming up the works. Check your dent. It could be messed up. As far as the hopper thing... The hopper by its self wouldn't be causing the jams and if you are using a mechanical trigger, it should be pretty hard to over shoot gravity hoppers... But you also said that you were not rapid firing... Hmmm. Do you have a clear feed neck? If you do see if you can replicate what is happening and watch the balls. Maybe there wasn't enough paint in the hopper and the blow back was making the balls fly up in the feed neck just enough to get chopped... IDK...

raven14
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
I checked out the detent and it looks good. I was having this problem right out of the box but not as severe as I was having yesterday. Like i said when i dry fire, no problems. Only with paint. Is is possible that the paint is getting caught partially and causing the jam?

N_Dub_Spyder
03-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Maybe if you are using garbage paint. The better your paint, the better your chance of less breach breaks and jams. Just another thought.

raven14
03-31-2008, 05:49 PM
I was at a scenario game and they were using RPS premium so I don't the paint quality was an issue. I took out my bolt and gave it a good cleaning. I didn't see any pieces of paint shell inside before I cleaned so I don't think that was causing the problem neither.

deano 177
04-01-2008, 07:35 AM
can you exchange the marker? I would try. My first one right out of the package was a lemon. I swapped it the next day.

crecsky
04-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe it's a possibility that you put your bolt in upside down. I know I did that after I first got my gun by accident and it jammed :$ (yes, stupid of me I know)

N_Dub_Spyder
04-01-2008, 04:09 PM
That could be a possibility. If cleaning it, checking the bolt, and using good paint do not work... I would try to exchange it. Great guns but you may have gotten a bad egg.

raven14
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I check the bolt and its in right. One thing I just remembered and I am not sure if this would be causing this to happen, but i do remeber the frame of the gun being very loose during that day. When I got home I inspected the frame and noticed the screws under the frame near the trigger and toward the read of the marker under the velocity adjsuter was real loose. The frame was acutally moving back and forth. I tighten the screws and the frame is fine. Do you think this may have contributed to the jamming???

N_Dub_Spyder
04-01-2008, 06:46 PM
It may be possible if the sear is not grabbing right. Those screws are NOTORIOUS for being loose. If you tighten them ever now and then it should not become a problem. I hope that fixes your troubles. test fire it some and let us know.

raven14
04-21-2008, 07:02 AM
OK got an update. I gave the gun a good cleaning and tightened the bolts for a game this past weekend. I started to have the same problem where my bolt would jam and I would have to pull back the cocking lever to get it to shoot again. It would jam, on average, after about 20-30 shots it seemed. During one of the breaks I took it to the chrono range to test fire it. Was doing fine for about 20 shots then jammed. I took the hopper off (gravity fed) and sure enough a ball was lodged halfway between the feedneck and the bolt. Pulled the bolt back, the ball fell in and I fired it through. So I discovered what the problem is now how to fix it? Is an electronic hopper the answer? I have a mechanical MR1. I don't fire at a too high rate of speed. I know other people who use gravity hops and they don't seem to have a problem with the MR1. Could it be something else or is the hopper the answer to the problem? I did have one really bad chop that day as well but this happened well after I started experiencing the problem.

slim and shady
04-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I would say that a electronic hopper is going to be the answear to your problem. What works for other people may not be the solution for you, if there happy with the gravity feed hopper thats fine. If it was me I would definatly get a new electronic hopper.

spyderguy208
04-21-2008, 02:39 PM
If the gun was having that problem right out of the box you shouldn't have to put up with that. Sounds like a lemon to me. I would try to exchange it because it will save you a lot of time, frustration, and maybe some money. Just my 2 cents.

raven14
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah I was thinking about that as well. I called the Spyder tech line and they also suggested that it was something to do with the hopper or how the balls were feeding into the marker. I am going to try an electronic hopper (wanted one anyway) and see how that works. If it doesn't I'll send it to Kingman. Still under warranty.

MR_MILL5MAN
04-21-2008, 05:49 PM
to be honest id just get my money back and look in another direction, ive had nuthing but trouble out of my mr2 and most people who have a mr series gun have the same problems.

cyberthrasher_706
04-21-2008, 06:36 PM
to be honest id just get my money back and look in another direction, ive had nuthing but trouble out of my mr2 and most people who have a mr series gun have the same problems.
Well, I suppose that's up for debate. I know there's quite a few people here in the "MR" forums who don't have any complaints about their markers. For me, the MR1 is one of the most basic, highly reliable markers. Usually if something's wrong it's because you did something to it.
This problem sounds like there may be something that wasn't milled correctly in the feedneck, could also be oblong paint. A jam in that portion of the gun just doesn't seem like it's a real problem with the marker's internals, which is what I would qualify as a lemon. Just my thoughts

slim and shady
04-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Just because you didnt have luck with a particular gun doesnt mean you should bash it. Your problems could have bin largly due to user error as well. LOTS of people are real happy with there MR series markers and stand by them I have an MR1, MR2 and MR2 W/eye and all the guns have bin great to me without a single complaint. As with any gun there are some things you should do to get it running the way you want. If you didnt do some of those things I could see why you would have had trouble. I respect your opinion but dont chase people away because you couldnt get your marker to work.

bigred76
04-22-2008, 12:17 AM
Rule of thumb with any hopper is to not fill it up all the way. If you do, the paint has a tendency to get jammed and can't get out of the hopper. This can happen with electronic hoppers as well, but it is not as common. My bet is that that is what is happening, and is not the marker itself. Borrow an electronic hopper from a friend or something and see if that helps you out, if you can. If not, and you can't get an electronic loader before the next time you go out to play, be sure to shake your hopper when you're not shooting to keep the ball stack from being jammed. It sometimes helps.

Another possibility is the paint itself. What kind of paint were/are you using? It isn't "all the same!" ;)

raven14
04-22-2008, 05:06 PM
I have used a variety of paint. I tried RPS premium, Marbalizer and Visible Impact. I really think I am leaning that I need an electronic hopper. I do notice sometimes when I shoot I get nothing but air. Again that is probably due to poor feeding from the hopper. I am going to order an electronic one as well as a new elbow just to touch all bases. Hopefully that will solve the problem. When it isn't jamming I really like the way the MR1 performs.

raven14
04-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Like I said previously I am going with an electronic hopper. I figure I won't need nothing too fancy. Looking at the Empire Reloader 2 and the Viewloader Revolution 12v with X Board. Any feedback on which is better for the MR1?

Prikasky
05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
dude maybe your gravity hopper was just improperly made. like maybe the seam in the middle is rough and catching balls or your neck was constructed to small. they are plastic products and can have excess materials on them just like those little armymen dudes have extra material on them. also have you tried anyone elses gravity hopper? might be a cheaper route than buying an electronic..

Zee
05-15-2008, 03:24 PM
dude maybe your gravity hopper was just improperly made. like maybe the seam in the middle is rough and catching balls or your neck was constructed to small. they are plastic products and can have excess materials on them just like those little armymen dudes have extra material on them. also have you tried anyone elses gravity hopper? might be a cheaper route than buying an electronic..

I'd agree with that. Nothing wrong with gravity feed hoppers for an MR1 unless you can squeeze that trigger really fast. Don't go and spend the money unless you absolutely have to. Save your money and try a different Grav hopper.

DFSniper
05-15-2008, 03:32 PM
i disagree. blowback causes balls to bounce back up into the hopper, so when the balls come back down (or on the way up) the get caught i midair and end up getting chopped by the bolt. you still have this problem with agitating hoppers, but not with higher-end force-fed hoppers.

Zee
05-15-2008, 03:36 PM
yeah but why would only he have this problem?

DFSniper
05-15-2008, 03:59 PM
he may be out-shooting the hopper. if he pulls the trigger too fast and the ball doesnt come down fast enough, when the bolt chops, the shell gets lodged inbetween the bolt and body, jamming it..

another idea, if no one has mentioned it already: is your feedneck loose? i know when mine was, occasionally the paint would fall down too slow and the gun would jam. it jammed so hard it took 2 people (one pulling the bolt and one pushing a swab down the barrel) to recock the gun.

Prikasky
05-15-2008, 09:06 PM
DFSniper reread the question and youll see he says he wasnt firing fast. but good point on the loose feedneck.