PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3 RC2

DFSniper
03-29-2008, 10:36 AM
i dont know how many of you have seen this already (BAMF probably has...) but here's a Beta for Service Pack 3:
SP3 Release Candidate 2 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=114f3599-12af-42b2-aab1-b969a62c68a7&DisplayLang=en)

vikingshadow
03-29-2008, 06:03 PM
I didn't feel like opening all those links on that page - what exactly is this going to make better on XP? Do you think it'd be worth downloading?

bamf-hacker
03-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Been running it for a long time ;)

They have worked few a few bugs up to now. So far been pretty solid.

It actually makes XP even faster. I guess the XP team and the Vista team are not working together :)

Hummm..... Upgrade to slow as molasses Vista or get SP3 for XP that will make it even faster :)

cyberthrasher_706
03-29-2008, 06:24 PM
I would highly suggest waiting for the official Service Pack 3, not the Release Candidate. Release Candidate means that they aren't sure if it works or not so they are pushing it out to people for testing purposes to find out if it will break things or not. Do you really want to be a guinea pig? Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. A co-worker of mine installed RC 1 and lost his video on one machine and network on the other. Another machine, used for testing anyways, messed up a database for the doctors office he does consulting for (again, this was only a test machine to see what would happen in the production environment so nothing was really messed up).

Last I heard the Official Service Pack 3 is not far away and will include all the updates to date and a couple of little extra things that most home users would never need. As long as you're up to date with the current windows updates, don't even take the risk. It's not worth anything anyway. It's only good for those of us who build new machines and have to catch up on all those updates at once. Last night was 103 between service pack 2 and now, not counting some optionals.

DFSniper
03-29-2008, 08:14 PM
for Vike:
Release Notes (http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/d/8/cd8cc719-7d5a-40d3-a802-e4057aa8c631/relnotes.htm)

i have to agree with BAMF on this one. it does seem to make it faster, and it looks like my wireless is connecting a little better too.

cyberthrasher_706
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm still sticking with my original statement about being up to date on all updates from windows. Maybe I'll check again and see if they've added anything new to the list, when I get time. I can't wait till graduation.