PDA

View Full Version : Play ball!

vikingshadow
03-28-2008, 09:34 PM
2 days, 9 hrs, 9 minutes and 3 seconds until baseball season starts!

I just got back to the hotel from attending my first game of the season. The Rangers played the White Sox in a preseason game at the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark in OKC tonight. (Redhawks, the Rangers AAA team, plays there - I go to at least 2 games a summer there.) Some of you know I'm not a fan of either of these two teams, but baseball is baseball, and there's NOTHING like going to a ballgame - besides, it's not often that two PRO teams come to Oklahoma and play!

So, all week long, it's been in the 70's, no wind and beautiful. No school today, because of parent teacher conferences all week, so here we are. Wouldn't you know it - 45 degrees and wind blowing at 25 mph! Flipping freezing! But, we had planned ahead and had our jackets and our blankets. My wife, my oldest daughter and I sat on the second level, freezing our collective baseball fan butts off, listening to drunk guys and having a great time. I love this time of the season!

(My youngest daughter has an honor band concert in a different city tomorrow to which we'll go to from here, making for a very long weekend but very worth it. Because of this trip, she didn't want to come to the game with us, which is really odd since she LOVES coming to these things...)

A little off topic, but a cool thing is that the NCAA women's tournament is in town, and Duke is staying in the same hotel that we are. At least, according to all the balloons and signs and the hotel staff wearing Duke t-shirts. The tournament is being held in either the Ford Center or the Cox Convention Center (formerly known as The Myriad) and both are directly across the street. Here's a picture of the big bracket on the outside of the building, just across the street from our room.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/NCAAWomensChampionshipbracket1.jpg

Here are some random pictures of the game, most of which aren't that great since it was cold, and I was ready to put my hands under the blanket again! If it hadn't been so windy, it'd have been quite pleasant...

Probably my favorite one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/outfieldshot.jpg

New scoreboard in outfield

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/OutfieldScoreboard.jpg

batting practice

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/WhiteSoxbattingpractice.jpg

random (batteries were starting to die in camera!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/windup.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/manonsecond.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/RangerPitcher.jpg

Um, wut?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/umwut.jpg

durrell
03-28-2008, 09:44 PM
I've stayed in that hotel, been to that convention center, and been to that ball park!

:D

badlandsrox
03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
I've only ever really seen one game (live) of baseball, cant say that I particularily enjoy watching it, something about watching a bunch of people swinging at balls they miss half the time (if that happened in football, everybody would be going crazy...), plus, theres no legal fighting, like in the NHL (which imho, should be extended to more major sports, it adds an extra level of excitment to the game (if you dont beleive me, watch some of the latest Calgary flames games... 2-3 fights within 5 seconds of play starting from the last one, its really entertainging to watch LOL). Now i know that most americans are addicted to baseball much the same as us canucks are hockey nuts, not trying to start an argument, just voiceing my opinion on the game

durrell
03-28-2008, 10:15 PM
I hate watching baseball.

Football > Basketball > Racing > Baseball

colonel_moo
03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Im with badlands, Hockey is definitely the way to go. Engineering students might not be the best athletes, but at RPI, we love our Hockey.

Theres nothing like violent sports and rowdy fans (e.g. whenever we play any Ivy league school other than harvard, the "Har-vard Re-jects, clap, clap, clap clap clap" chant is popular).

bigred76
03-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Got a correction Doc....

Paintball > Football > Racing (not NASCAR, the good stuff) > Soccer (GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooool!) > Baseball > Basketball. ;)

bamf-hacker
03-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Cool Vike. The Nats play in the new stadium this year and it is all the hype around here. I will get to at least one game with the boy just so he can see one, but it is not my first in line for sports.

I just don't think it take more than 160 games to show who is the best :)

vikingshadow
03-29-2008, 05:03 AM
I remember you saying you had been here, D. When you said that, I actually said, "Oh, yeah! I remember now!" My wife and kids looked at me like I was weirder than normal....:p

It's ok for people not to like watching baseball. It just happens to be the sport I like. As far as saying it's just a guy swinging at a ball that they miss half the time (which is a very HIGH number, I believe) that's part of the game - one pitcher against one batter. The game is made on one hit or one strike out. One could also use the same argument that hockey is nothing but a fight that a few extra players show up for. ;) But, it's perfectly all right for you guys to have your opinions! I like baseball, having played all the way from when I was probably 5-6 up through some of my college years, so I guess I'm hooked. The only sad thing that I truly regret is that this is the last season for Yankee Stadium, and I've never gotten to attend a game there.

Of course, I'm talking about watching a live, in-the-stadium, minor league or major league team. It is TONS different than watching on TV. Especially Minor leage games since they always have some kind of crowd activity between at bats. The important thing is that my wife, my kids and I love going there and that it's fun - watching the game, and the drunks, haha! Not to mention that baseball also has it's share of fights, when are MUCH more intense than hockey fights (40 player bench clearing brawl much, anyone?) Not that any hitting actually goes on, but very entertaining!

However, I do agree that most of the time it's not the most exciting sport to watch. However, IMO, I'd rank it like this: Football>baseball>hockey>>>>>>tennis>basketball>>>>>>>>>>racing. (Sorry, I'm not into waiting to watch a fight on the ice, thugs bouncing a ball on the floor and doing more actual fouling and slams than playing, or a car turning left all day. I chose tennis over basketball because some of the women in there these days - whew!)

Dan - what team are the Nats affiliated with? The Redhawks usually do pretty well in their division.

Edit! I forgot that there's a new hot dog place at the ballpark. They serve dogs from all the famous pro stadiums. My wife and daughter had the Fenway Frank, and I had the Milwaukee Brat - OML it was soooo good! Next, I'm gonna do the Dodger dog...

HelpDeskHustler
03-29-2008, 06:40 AM
baseball = snoozefest.

VS3 Sniper
03-29-2008, 07:04 AM
I have never been one to watch much baseball. But I do enjoy playin it. Does every one have a favorite team??? Mine would be the diamondbacks just because one of my cousins is an infielder for them.

irishwarrior
03-29-2008, 07:56 AM
Got a correction Doc....

Paintball > Football > Racing (not NASCAR, the good stuff) > Soccer (GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooool!) > Baseball > Basketball. ;)

Correction Bigred...

Paintball=Soccer=Football>Rugby>Baseball>Basketball>Golf>Extreme Ironing>Racing

colonel_moo
03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Correction Bigred...

ever watched the WRC?

irishwarrior
03-29-2008, 11:25 AM
No, but I totally forgot about rally racing, that goes in front of basketball.

bigred76
03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Exactly one of the kinds of racing I meant, Moo. ;) There are just too many circuits to list 'em all!

I still like my scale best.

king-man
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Correction Bigred...

Extreme Ironing>Paintball=Soccer=Football>Rugby>Baseball>Basketball>Golf>Racing
much better Lol

TheDarkShadow
03-29-2008, 05:24 PM
paintball> football> basketball> racing> baseball> golf, im not excited about baseball starting, the reds suck

Paradox313
03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Uh-oh.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2448/67191894om8.png

Hossy
03-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Just to clear some things up, any sport can be made to sound boring and not fun.

Baseball is a guy swinging at a ball
Hockey shooting a goal on ice
basketball is putting a ball in a hoop
Football is running to the other side of the field
Nascar is wasteing fuel driving around a circle
etc, you get the picture.
I have played baseball since i was old enough to walk and its alot of fun for me. Watching it live is alot better than watching it on TV, but its not a completely dumb sport. The hardest thing in sports is to hit a baseball, guarentee it. Baseball has been around for forever, especially though tough times in our economy.
Yet I still would rather stick a kid playing football, dunk on some nub playing basketball, than go play baseball. It takes alot more equipment to play baseball than anything else.
to Dan: Im watching the Washington game now, and they are annoying me with the "oh its the first _____ at this stadium" and the whole thing in the beginning taking forever to do the annoucements and stuff.

vikingshadow
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Uh-oh.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2448/67191894om8.png

He's entitled to his opinion, no matter how wrong he is! :p

But seriously, it's a sport. So long as a person doesn't try to come across as condescending to me and other fans about it, there's no need to pay any attention to it.

Hossy - good post. I agree with you. ANY sport can come off looking boring - and all sports come off looking boring to some people. I grew up on baseball and played it for so long, it just feels like a part of me. I seriously look forward to the first game of the season because it just feels. I don't know how to explain it. I'm more "alive" when it comes around. Even my wife and family has said as much. I don't watch that much after the first of the season, but I still love the game.

I still have traditions that I keep even after, what? 20 years? I won't step on the baselines when I help coach my daughters softball games, or when I play it myself, or any line for that matter. I noticed that today as I walked into Wal-Mart - I automatically step over all the painted line because it's "bad luck". On the days I watch the Yankees play, I wear the same socks, my favorite jersey and hat, lol! There are others, but I won't bore you any more...

This is why I like minor league games - the kids are so involved! Sorry for the quality - I took it with my Flip Video and I was up on the second level.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/th_Mar282008-VID00011.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v402/vikingshadow/Rangers%20vs%20White%20Sox/?action=view&current=Mar282008-VID00011.flv)

Hossy
03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
so uh, guys?
why did the chicken cross home plate :dodgy:

Hoppy11
03-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I still like my scale best.

Too bad you can't spell goal, although I agree with you on soccer.

I can't wait to go to some Tigers games this year. I was never much of a baseball fan either until I moved to Detroit. Just being downtown during a Tigers game is an awesome atmosphere. Plus they are going to be awesome this year so it will be fun.

bigred76
03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
"Gol" esta "goal" en espanol. ;) Los paises de latinos hablan espanol, asi "gol" esta correcto. :)

"Gol" is "goal" in Spanish. The Latin countries speak Spanish, so "gol" is correct.

Hoppy11
03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Last time I checked The United States is not a Latin Country ;) We are quite.. American actually. :smirk:

bigred76
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
And I love the melting pot that is America. ;) Entire channels are piped piped into our TV's in exclusively Spanish, showing "futbol" (soccer) with announcers screaming "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooool...." BET shows the "thug life" 24/7 in ebonics.... CMT shows hicks in their natural environment speaking hickish... Your point? :smirk: