PDA

View Full Version : Flatline

speed
03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
will a tippman A-5 flatline barrel fit my pilot. I am going between flatline or apex

DisIsMyUsername
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
no? flatlines are exclusive to A-5s i believe.

Hossy
03-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Idk if Tippmann makes them with Spyder threads, but if they do then your fine.
If not, your going to have to get a spyder to tippmann thread converter thing, and then get the barrel

pb34
03-28-2008, 07:08 PM
I believe that flatlines are exclusive to Tippmanns so I would stay away from that. If you're dead set on getting that type of barrel go with a Spyder threaded Apex.

kramernator
03-28-2008, 07:09 PM
^^ yeah, you will need to get a barrel adapter, actionvillage has them for...oh....$13 or something

tumtum00
03-28-2008, 07:34 PM
you definitely won't get this to work with the 98 flatline cause it had a banana shaped barrel that you had to have a piece actually above the gun. I don't think this will work at all, but am not for sure about the a-5 one but i think it is made different also

xxcarlosxx
03-28-2008, 08:14 PM
ya there's no flatline barrel for spyders right now but you might find an adapter from tippmann threads to spyder threads
i found THIS (http://www.paintball-discounters.com/get_item_075200par_lapco-aluminum-barrel-adapter.htm)but i dont think there's tippy to spyder thread adapters, theres only spyder to tippy adapters.

davmitchell77
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
short answer: apex. and, i highly recommend the apex-ready lapco barrels.

long, long answer: the flatline will not (in either variant) fit onto a spyder, period, without serious work to the marker. that being said, there was a short run of flatline equipped cockers a ways back, but they were flatline only, and would accept no other barrel. plus, IMHO, they were some of the goofiest things i have ever seen in paintball.

barrel adapters will not work, and ill explain why.
the 98 flatline is held into place by the clamping action of the clamshell receiver and the top barrel shroud. it doesnt screw into anything, (and your spyder isnt a clamshell), which is why it was so difficult to make sure the barrel was actually vertical. now, the a5/x7 flatline REPLACES the barrel nut (which is threaded) in the (also clamshell) receiver. once again, no threads. the end of the flatline has cogs which rotate into the receiver to lock the barrel into place. an a5 (or x7) barrel adapter consists of a threaded barrel nut (with cogs) that will replace the barrel nut in the marker. if you purchase say, an a5 to spyder adapter, you will have a short barrel that will screw into the spyder, which in turn will accept tippmann (prolite, f4) threaded barrels, not the cogged flatline. currently, no one makes a cog to marker adapter, which would screw into something, then accept the cogged barrel nuts themselves. you could conceivably have one made, but there would be an alignment issue (how many would be made before the cog holes were put into the correct spot?), plus any one-off machined piece is always rather pricey.

i should mention, that while i have used several flatlines, and i have to admit that they DO add distance, i dont actually recommend them often, as every one i have seen or used tends to be rather paint particular, and the distance increase to retail cost ratio is a little too high for me.
i have not had a chance to buy or try the apex, so i have no opinion to give you on its performance, but i have several lapco barrels, and used many of thier products, and i have never been disappointed in the quality. specifically, the bigshot (.689 bore) and the autospirit (.687) might be all the barrel you ever need.
hope i helped make it clear as mud for ya, and if you still have a question, just ask. dav

DFSniper
04-02-2008, 09:50 AM
i always thought flatline cockers were pretty cool, but i've never been a flatline fan

http://cdn-www.pbreview.com/pics/1047636225.jpg

xxcarlosxx
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
thats one funny looking marker!:D

DFSniper
04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
but thats what made it so cool!

Critical
04-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Flatline = spending $100 to watch your balls bounce off your target instead of breaking

APEX = spending $50 to get shot out while trying to figure out how to make your shots arc

Put your money in something that makes sense, a good barrel system that lets you match the bore to your paint, is made for your marker, and that you don't have to think about on the field, just point and shoot.