PDA

View Full Version : Ruined threads?

Jegger24
03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Hello everyone. To make a long story short....

I was going through my PM6 (which had recently been anno'd) trying to locate where I had a nasty leak. I thought I had found it... being the small stop screw underneath the barrel, just above the LPR. Well, I removed the screw and noticed there was what looked like shavings on the screw. I figured it was some crusty anno and thought nothing else of it. I cleaned the screw and the threads out, put a little teflon on the screw, then tried sending it back in.

Yep, it looks like I somehow damage or erased the first couple of threads. I have no idea what to do... my heart has sunken and I feel like a fool. I haven't even gotten to fire this thing since it got back and now I wrecked it. Anyone have any suggestions for me... all I can think of is trying to get ahold of a tap kit and clean up the threads... if I can figure out what size they are.

I am dying to make this thing right, but I keep fearing that I ruined it.

If anyone can send me in the right direction, I would be forever greatful. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Sorrowful in Minnesota :(

XSiv Force
03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Might be able to redrill it.......maybe........

Jegger24
03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I'll try a tap to clean the threads out first... I sure hope it doesn't come down to drilling....

Schecter1277
03-26-2008, 07:10 PM
DO NOT TAP OR DRILL YOUR THREADS!!!!!!!!!!

send it into dye, they will fix it for you. If you try and home mod it you will void your warrenty. Those are some great guys down at dye, call them, talk to a tech, get a number. Write it on all 6 sides of the box (they tend to "not see it" and send it back) and they will fix it for free.

XSiv Force
03-26-2008, 07:12 PM
off course that would work better.........but not as fun

Schecter1277
03-26-2008, 07:26 PM
off course that would work better.........but not as fun

It's a PM6, not a spyder. Even if he did manage to retap it if he doesn't clean out every small piece of metal and bur it would do a number on a his noid.

It's better to make dye do it, and make sure its done right. They will normally do it for free, why not?

Jegger24
03-27-2008, 03:21 AM
And that is why I asked for help... thanks Schecter! I will call them when I stop home for my break today.

Schecter1277
03-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Just remember to write the number on all sides of the box where they cant miss it, they did that to me. I wrote it on one side and they only checked the opposite side. I called them and was like "wtf!?" They gave me the "we didn't see it, write it bigger" So I took one of those huge permanent markers and wrote a huge number on all 6 sides of the box.

Jegger24
03-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Well, I just got off of the phone with Dye / Proto and they said to clean the threads out with a tap. They would gladly accept it, but there would charges for the work as well as shipping. He said it wasn't worth it to send it in and he was sure that I could handle it myself. Thanks for the encouragement!!

The tech was very polite and said to take my time and it is a simple process. He also said to clean the port out with compressed air to make sure no scraps get ingested by the marker.

I'll be off to get a tap and die set later this evening. Wish me luck...

bigred76
03-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Be very careful when using a tap! ONLY use a crescent wrench to screw it in, and keep it VERY straight!

Good luck!

battlechaser
03-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Be very careful when using a tap! ONLY use a crescent wrench to screw it in, and keep it VERY straight!

Good luck!

Better to use the proprietary grip in the tap and die set.

Though I've been known to use vise grips from time to time... ;)

bigred76
03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
I've had nothing but bad luck with the POS that comes in the kits. :shrug:

Jegger24
03-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone!

I folded and called Dye back today... I don't have the courage to try to tap it myself. I didn't get through to a tech so I sent an e-mail. If they don't answer that I will try calling next week. It isn't a rush since it is my backup marker.

I just don't want to mess it up anymore. :( I hope they can fix it...

Muddytaco
03-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Threads are 6-32 or 8-32 and DON'T use teflon tape, some could break off and either get stuck in the air passage or go into the noid and rip it up. Use blue locktite, same thing happened on a my old DM5, minus the treads messing up, just the leak.

timbertiger20
03-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Just take it to a machine shop near by. Worse case scenario they heli-coil and start over. It's really not that big of a deal. Not to mention they'll have it fixed in 10 minutes and they probably wouldn't charge much if anything.

Jegger24
04-30-2008, 11:24 AM
***UPDATE***

I just a call from Dye today... the marker is done and will be shipped back today - I should receive it by Tuesday. $27 service charge plus shipping was all it took.... Better than me destroying my marker! :D

XSiv Force
04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
good hope it NEVER happens again

TheDarkShadow
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
that's great

Jegger24
04-30-2008, 05:23 PM
LOL Yeah, won't be touching that part EVER AGAIN! :)